iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmilling vs Woodworking

Started by kelLOGg, June 15, 2019, 05:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I really like sawmilling. Woodworking is something I got into only after I began to accumulate lumber but sawmilling is still #1. People ask me what I make from the logs I get and I say "lumber". However, there are times that I really get inspired to make something. Sweetgum was such a time. Some of you may recall postings I made on sawing and drying sweetgum ovals. They were remarkably stable, even after drying; I was almost smug about the success for this wood that was notorious for instability if sawn in traditional manners. Many people hate the tree if only for the balls it drops on their yards. I thought I had sweetgum in a form woodworkers would flock to. I took samples to woodworking stores in my area and advertised on Cl, all to no avail. No sale, so I was determined to make something out of it myself. Here's what I came up with:

It is 4 ft diameter and with a glass top added I think it would make a very nice coffee table. It was really quite easy to make. (However, the pedestal was another story.) The parts just seemed to want to go together as shown but it was too big for our living room and we didn't need another table.

Then it was time for the annual arts show at my church so I decided to enter the table top as a wall hanging.

Two people wanted one made for them and a third wanted the table version, my original idea. Wow, success finally, but it wasn't the success I was seeking – I had much rather sell the raw material to woodworkers than make more stuff with it. So, if I make more stuff I have less time to saw and other projects. Has any of you had experiences like this? Where is the woodworker market when you need it? I guess it is not uncommon for someone's vision not to be shared by others. Oh well, it looks like I will be making more.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Texas Ranger

The add on value of the finished art may well create a source of income beyond the raw material value.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

just like investing, it is good to diversify.  if either market has a slump, you have a back up to shift to.  it is poss that being a woodworker will make you a better sawyer and visa versa.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

low_48

I love the design and look of it, but I sure would be worried about those miters opening up with seasonal movement of the slabs.

kelLOGg

There's a 9 x 9 x 1/2 spline inserted in the junction of the 4 pieces. I don't think there will be much movement.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

alan gage

Just starting out on this venture I'm in a bit of the same boat. What I'd really like to do is sell lumber to people who do woodworking, either professionally or as a hobby. I enjoy making things in the shop but those are for me. I really don't know how much I'd enjoy making things for other people or how good I'd be at it.

Either way congratulations on the sales. Would be great if it continued to work out for you and best of luck going forward, whichever direction it takes you.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

kelLOGg

Thanks for that response, Alan. It's good to know I have a shipmate in this endeavor. Best of luck in your sawing/woodworking too.
Bob

low_48

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 16, 2019, 06:46:37 AM
There's a 9 x 9 x 1/2 spline inserted in the junction of the 4 pieces. I don't think there will be much movement.
Splines stop wood expansion and contraction? That's a new one on me. Been building furniture for 47 years.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

Spline was recommended by the North Carolina Woodworkers site where I participate. The spline usage is to hold the parts together - a little movement, I agree, can't be stopped. "Time will tell" as Doc H. said.

Thank You Sponsors!