iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snapping Turtle Laying Eggs

Started by 21incher, June 01, 2015, 08:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

A couple of days ago a snapping turtle walked up from my wetlands and started digging in my driveway. Here is the video I took and posted on YouTube. http://youtu.be/BRSn3EG-pKQ It took about an hour in all and I shortened it to about 20 minutes, most of it is boring. I hope to see the baby turtles dig out after hatching in about 90 days. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

there use to be a guy here  that would pay you 25cents a egg  had to get them as soon as they was laid   he said they was better than chicken eggs  :-\ :-\ steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley

thecfarm

They lay eggs on the end of the road here. Something digs them up in less than a couple weeks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on June 01, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
They lay eggs on the end of the road here. Something digs them up in less than a couple weeks.
I read online that coons and skunks like to dig up the eggs. I am thinking about putting a piece of hardware cloth over the area to make sure that doesn't happen. I would at least like to see them dig their way out after hatching.  :)

Quote from: coxy on June 01, 2015, 12:11:35 PM
there use to be a guy here  that would pay you 25cents a egg  had to get them as soon as they was laid   he said they was better than chicken eggs  :-\ :-\ steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley
It would take at least a dozen of them to make a omelet. Did they call him Turtle Man?  ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

most every one in town called him lots of things  ;D I got along good with him he made the best rabbit pot pie I ever had  he made turtle soup onetime but I was gone for the weekend and missed it  >:( >:( >:(  always wanted to try it he cooked some weird stuff some I ate some I wouldn't feed to the bears  :D  if he shot a deer he would not gut it till he got home he would shave the hair around the hole  plug it then put air in there and it would blow the hide up like a balloon and it would pull right off it was neat to watch I have tried it but no luck  the smallest turtle I found was a painted one the size of a quarter  if you get to see them hatch take some pics please

WV Sawmiller

I used to put out trotlines to catch alligator snapping turtles near Albany GA when I was stationed there in USMC any time we got low on meat. Caught lots up to 75 lbs. One had eggs in it and my wife used them in cookie dough. Sent the kids to school with "turtle egg brownies" and all enjoyed them. Old pseudo-grandfather fishing/hunting buddy used to say you could not hard boil a turtle egg.

Had big one get in boat with me, bit through 8/0 stainless steel hook then chased me around a bit before I got him under control. Bit the corner off my upholstered pedestal seat. I had one foot on  corner of the johnboat and other on the outboard. Fixing to trade places with him - he'd get the boat and I was going in the lake.

If you ever butcher one be sure to save the steaks in the head. Big roll of meat on each side of the brain stem. Like size of a soda can on a 75 lb turtle. Cut it cross-ways into steaks, flour and fry and very good eating.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Thanks for that video.  It is amazing how intent she was with the egg handling and covering chores.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on June 01, 2015, 11:19:21 PM
Thanks for that video.  It is amazing how intent she was with the egg handling and covering chores.
I took to long to go in and grab the camera while watching her dig the hole not knowing what it was for. I was amazed how powerful those claws were as they dug the hole very quickly. Then as you could see she went into some kind of trance and started moving the eggs so slowly and carefully as they came out. When leaving she walked into a dead end in my yard between a fence and pole barn and became quite aggressive when I tried to turn her around so she could head back to the wetlands. I am hoping to catch the babies as they dig their way out :)

OntarioAl

21incher
I would put some type of protective covering around and over the  eggs.
There is a long list of critters that will cheat you out of your getting to see the hatching.
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!