iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small chain saw needed.

Started by WoodChucker, October 23, 2004, 07:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

My wife is bugging me to get her a new chain saw, it's scares the heck out of me but I told her I'd get her one. The only feature she REALLY needs is for it to be an easy start. I have an old Echo and a newer Stihl and she has problems starting both of those. Same problem with lawn mowers.  ::)

Can anyone suggest a small (under 16") saw thats easy to start? She won't be cutting down trees, just cutting stuff thats already on the ground. Mostly red oak, ash and maybe a little maple. Any suggestion?  Thanks!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

SasquatchMan

Sounds like what she needs is a saw with a compression release valve.  This is a button on the top of the cylinder that you depress while starting, making it much easier to pull on the rope.  I'm not sure off the top of my head which small saws have it (it's usually a feature on larger, harder to pull saws) but I'm pretty sure you can get it on a Husky 345.

Don't be so sure that a small chainsaw is so much safer than a big one.  I've heard it argued that a big saw is more stable in cut, and able to cut through some problems that would send a little saw jumping.  The counter argument of course is that a really powerful saw can generate a really powerful kickback.  What your wife needs more than your fear is some protective clothing and some training.  Then she'll be able to handle whatever comes her way.  I'll bet more people are hurt with 16" chainsaws in a year than anything else.  These are the guys who cut from a ladder, who jump in the back of a truck full of brush with a saw, who wear no protective equipment - all the typical homeowner gaffs with a chainsaw.

Get her a top quality saw, with modern safety features (possibly Stihl's quick-stop system) and send her to a usage/safety course, and everyone will be a lot better off for it.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

WoodChucker

SasquatchMan, thanks for the info on the Husky 345, I'll check that one out.

I've showed her how to use a chain saw the best I can and have told her all the pro's and con's on the size of the saw. But she wants a small one that she can take with her when her and the dog goes for a walk. I just hope the dog comes back in one piece.  ;D

Thanks again!.......Any other suggestions?

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Kevin

RT, what's the problem?
She can't start the saw or the saw just won't start?

SasquatchMan

Anyone who goes for a walk with a dog and a chainsaw is either a) wearing full protective gear and is therefore going to die of dehydration and exhaustion or b) not wearing protective gear and is going to die from loss of blood.

Can we overstress the idea that a chainsaw is not a leisure product?  Don't get me wrong, woodchucker, I'm all for people using the tool - just bought my wife a set of boots and a splitting axe, and showed her what to do, and what not to, and she's split about 3 cord with a big smile on her face  - but your second post makes me think you're right to be scared by this situation.

WoodChucker

QuoteRT, what's the problem?
She can't start the saw or the saw just won't start?

She just can't start it when it's cold, warm not a problem. She just doesn't have the arm strength to pull it fast enough when it's cold.

SasquatchMan, I understand your concerns, but you would have to know my wife. She walks all winter long in 2 to 3 foot of snow and never breaks a sweat and only takes breaks to give the dog a rest. In fact I've NEVER seen her sweat in the 22 years we've been married, I don't think she even has sweat glads,  ;D   Oh and the dog is a 225 pound Mastiff and doesn't like the chain saw at all, he won't come any where near it, so you don't have to worry about that.  ;D

What can I say, she's a women and once she makes her mind up there's just no stopping her. :)

R.T.

SasquatchMan

Well, that 345 might be just the thing.  I can understand your reluctance to , er, discourage, such a woman! :)

Kevin

Does she choke it , pull till it fires and then drop the choke?
Is the rear handle locked between her legs when pulling the rope?
Maybe it's just her technique.

WoodChucker

SasquatchMan, I still worry about her, but I don't worry as much as I did 22 years ago. She's never been sick or hurt, doesn't even get colds. Has luck like you wouldn't believe. BUT, now she's going through the mid life thing and I'm having a ball making fun of her, she gets hot flashes and just starts ripping off her clothes (but still doesn't sweat) and I just sit back and complain about how cold it is.  ;D  But then there's that demon that lives inside women, you gotta watch out for that sucker.  ;D

Kevin, I'm sure technique has something to do with it also, but when I try to explain it to her she says my saw is junk, but it works for me just fine, lol. It would be like trying to teach your Grandmother to drive a car, just give her the keys and walk away.  ;D   J/K, she's a keeper and I don't know what the heck she sees in me, must be my good looks because I don't have any money.  ;D

But back to the saw, she has the saw sitting on the ground and puts her foot through the handle to start it, she gets the pull cord about half way up and it snaps back out of her hand. I'm not sure I'd want her to start it the way you suggested ( the right way) I may never see her again once that sucker started.  ;D

Anyway, thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it!

R.T.    

Kevin

Somewhere in here there's a topic on the rope snapping back and it was related to a problem other than compression but I can't remember what.

Michael_E_Tx

Your post made me think of a couple of things that I pass on to you.  The first is that we have a ten year old Stihl 021 that I purchased new for general pruning and trimming.  We moved onto 55 acres of woods a year and a half ago.  For the first time my wife had an interest in operating this saw.  She has no trouble starting it, cold or hot, and handles it pretty well.  I would have to say it is a pretty mild mannered not very powerful saw, but it has been absolutely trouble free.

The second thing I thought of, especially given that you said she has difficulty starting lawnmowers also, is that an acquaintance recently purchased a new Stihl trimmer with a feature called "Easy2start".  Personally, it seems like a gimmick to me, and adds an unnecessary layer of complicatedness to a simple element, but this guy says it works very well and he purchased it for the same reason you are talking about.  I have absolutely no personal experience with this feature, but I note that it is being offered on the MS210C (as you probably know, MS210 is the modern designation for the 021).  Might be worth checking out at a Stihl dealer.

So far, my wife has not expressed an interest in toting the 021 along when she walks the dog, but I smiled when Sasquatchman described his wife splitting wood with a smile on her face.  I had back surgery several years ago, and I don't split wood.  My 61 year old wife does it all, and we heat with wood.  She's split about 3 cords this year also.  We joke about having to keep cutting so she'll have some wood to split, otherwise she gets a little ornery.  She's become a real wood splitting fool, never seen her enjoy such hard physical labor so much.

Good luck with finding the right saw.  Your wife sounds like a fine woman.  Sure is worthwhile to keep 'em happy!

SasquatchMan

Michael, I'm in the same boat.  

"Go git more wood - I got all that stuff split awready!"

WoodChucker

Kevin, thanks and I'll check out the archives and see if I can find that post. If I didn't know better I'd say she was just doing this to get a new toy, but that's a guy thing, right?  ;D

Michael_E_Tx, really appreciate the info on the Stihl MS210C, I'll check that out for sure. Sounds like it would be perfect for her. And yep, it sounds like the three of us found the secret of making women happy, just give them an Axe or a chain saw, who would have thought it would be so easy, hey?  ;D  Thanks for your input, I enjoyed reading about your wife, she sounds like a wonderful women.

SasquatchMan, LOL, I hear ya!

R.T.

rebocardo

I have not bought one yet, but, the Husky 136 and 141 are pretty light. As for balance, the Stihl 180 felt the better balanced and nimble. I am going to give them a test drive soon on some wood.

Going for a walk (why you need a saw while walking ... brown bear self defense?) with a saw, I would look for ones 10 pounds and lighter because a woman that

> puts her foot through the handle to start it

has to weigh 100 pounds and I would think that after a few miles, even a two pound difference would be noticed on a saw.

I have run the 91vs .325 safety chain on my Poulan Wildthing (note: not a saw for someone that does not like pulling the cord a few times) and it is very forgiving, especially in getting jammed in kerfs. A kickback is more like a slow back push that you can easily stop letting off the throttle. So, I would look at a saw that can run that and work backwards into a saw with a 12-14 inch bar.

Bushwhacker

Anybody ever go in a bar on "Ladies Night" carrying a chainsaw?  Might be a good way to pick up women.  Just a thought.
KLH

DanManofStihl

I had a husky 141 and a ms 180 stihl . I liked the ms 180 much better it seemed lighter and had more get upo and go power for a small saw. Not as much as my stihl 066 but I think thats alittle big for your wife.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

pallis

I have a little Solo 650 that starts first pull no matter how long it's been sitting.  I don't even use the compression release on it, just pump the primer bulb about ten times, and give it a tug with the choke on.  Mine's an oddball in that it came with a Bing carburetor instead of a Walbro, and it is rated at 3.6 HP instead of the 3.3, so I can't say how others would be.  I've read that the 645s are easy to start, and weigh in at about 9.9 lbs.    On a small saw I think the primer bulb is more important than the compression release when it comes to easy starting.  When looking at chains you might consider the 95vp.  The kickback is mild, it holds an edge well, and it's fast cutting.

I can't get my wife to touch a chainsaw.  Twenty years ago she'd go out with me, move branches, and load small pieces of firewood, but those days are over.  You have quite a girl there.

weimedog

Don't laugh, but a lot of the utility supplier types around here use those cheap little Poulan's (the Pro series and Wildthings for working out of buckets) Easy to start. Light weight. Enough power to cut when the chain is sharp.

I know they are not the popular brands..but WHT NOT! Ebay them for under 150 bucks and my bet is you will use them for limbing and your wife for everything she wants to do.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

rebocardo

You can buy a Poulan Wildthing (model # 3275?) from northerntools.com with a case for under $150.00. As for easy starting, mine never was, and when people kid about "pull a lot" it is accurate. I have to say this, it always started after 5-14 pulls with no compression relief ... :D

sawguy21

Is she pullig the rope gently to compression then a quick rip or grabbing the rope and yanking? The latter is a sure road to sore fingers and a short temper. I squat down putting my right heel on the handle extension rather than sticking my toe in and knocking off the high idle
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ccicora

Want to trade??? My wife owns a 026 Pro, 395 and a 3120 hotsaw. She will soon have a 7900 Dolmar also....Did I mention she now wants a 4 cu and a 3.49 and under for stocksaw classes?? What about my toys???

Later,
Chris
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Bruce_A

What do you expect to get for her?

sprucebunny

I've always had a hard time with 2-stroke anything--saws, outboards and lawn mowers hate me, I can pull ok they just don't run for me. But I got a Stihl 180C and it's been good . 2-3 pulls full choke, 2-3 pulls half choke and I'm going. Have finally learned to start it like the boys do and it works much better.
I feel in control of the saw and have not experienced any kick back. Use 'safety' chain.
The worst problem I had so far was breaking the handle of the saw when it got jammed between it's bracket on the 4wheeler and a tree that reached out and tried to grab it  ;)
Epoxy fixed it.
Oh.. and I like to take my saw for walks ,too. Got an old backpack frame and made a carrier for those long walks.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanG

Woodchucker, if you haven't already bought the saw, take a look at the Echo CS-300. It's the best small saw I ever used. Light weight, lots of power, and it starts easy. Got mine from the dealer for $190. Rated as a "pro" saw, and has a good warranty, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Erick

I would agree with the folks on the MS180 a nice little saw. Had the chance to use one a few times now and have decided to trade my 021 in for one. As was said the 021 is a great little saw but the 180 is a pound and a half lighter and only gives up .1 HP. The saw sells new with a 14" bar and chain for 199.99 in my part of the world. Run the safety chain (stihl PM1) and I would think she'd be set. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah
Anybody have any tips on how to get the wife to run a saw or split wood mines not having any of it.  :D
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Thank You Sponsors!