iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small chain saw needed.

Started by WoodChucker, October 23, 2004, 07:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bushwhacker

Woodchucker
My wife likes to use my little 018 Stihl while I'm cutting the big stuff, she cuts the smaller stuff. Little saw is pretty amazing for its size.
KLH

DanManofStihl

I have a ms 180 and I love the saw no one else under stands they all have their pro saw like the 026 and I have this little ms 180. When they all start to laugh thats when I go to my truck and get the 066 mag out and fire her up. They are all quiet after that.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Patty

My son bought me a Husky 141 for Christmas a couple years ago. It is a great saw, easy to handle, and usually easy to start. However, it is now having troubles...it keeps dieing on me. I assume it is a clogged filter problem or something simple, but since I know NOTHING about fixing them, I'll have to drag out the manual, or take it in. :-/

Norm doesn't seem to have this trouble with his Stihls.

Something to keep in mind.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

jokers

QuoteI have a ms 180 and I love the saw no one else under stands they all have their pro saw like the 026 and I have this little ms 180. When they all start to laugh thats when I go to my truck and get the 066 mag out and fire her up. They are all quiet after that.

Why, are you that scary to watch?  :D

Aren`t you the same guy looking for a used 066 on that other forum? What are you going to do with two 66s?

I don`t typically like any of the small saws, especially the other Stihls but the ms180 seems to be a decent little saw. I bought one for my son for his seventh birthday this past August and I`m impressed by the way that little bugger cuts. It cuts so well that I had to have my dad and my nephew try it out, LOL!

If you shop around you should be able to buy one for less than $200, I paid $175 at a loggers show. That price makes Poulans and such, even less worth looking at.

Russ

DanManofStihl

I need to get another 066 for my partner we have a large quanity or large logs that we cut and selll for firewood. I love the 066 power and reliability so thats why I am looking for another. You jst can't kill them
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

davefrommd

How about the small echo chainsaws like the cs-305 or the green poulan 2050. The echo is nice and light and starts easily. dave

Bushwhacker

I bought a 018c just before they changed the # to 180 just to use on small stuff because it was light. I looked at the top handled Echos and went for the Stihl. I was amazed at  how it performed for it's size. Later my wife took up with it and enjoys using it.
KLH

rangerbob

I have a Stihl 026 and have run both of my buddies Echo 3450's. Both are nice and light. The 026 has a 20" on it while the two Echos have 16". My buddies wife has never had a problem starting either of these saws. She will run the Echo limbing while we work with the 046 Magnum and other tools to fell and buck the big stuff. Have a gander at either of them.

Ernie

You're lucky that your wife wants a c/saw, I got one for my wife 30 years ago and thought that I was doing the right thing  :-[ I soon learned. I was dead wrong.  She has given me 5 great kids so I can forgive her the disappointment at the Christmas gift of a small saw for the firewood.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Sparkkky

Hey I have a 345 and like it alot, you guys make it sound like a sissy's saw! :)

sawguy21

I have a 345 too and it is more than enough for the cutting I do. Jokers, did I read that correctly, you bought a real live chainsaw for a seven year old? Just wondering.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ernie

We have a little Stihl 020T with a 12" bar which we use for pruning our pines etc.. Its a real beauty, light powerful easy to use with one hand  8 meters up the tree when standing on a unistep and holding on with the other.  Has had many hours of trouble free use.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Sparkkky

Ernie, should you be using a saw like that?

Ernie

I am way too old for that sort of thing, fortunately my hairy legged 28 year old son with years of forest management and pruning experience is very competent with it.  He prunes our newest  stand of pines every two years so that when we come to mill them  in another 13 to 15 years (they are 12 yaers old now) we should have a very small DOS and heaps of clear wood ;D

Ianab

I dont think many of the Americans would believe the pruning techniques used on NZ pines.
In case you dont know what a uni-step is, it's an extra clip on step thats hooked to the tree a couple of feet above the top of your ladder. Then you climb up off your ladder and get another metre of reach for the pruning.
Not for the faint heated first time you try it, but actually pretty safe, although I prefer a good hand saw  ;)

http://www.timbersaws.co.nz/Details.asp?ProductID=6

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Thanks Ian,, I forget that we do a few things differently here,

Reminds me of the reactions of my Canadian family to some of our Kiwi expression such as I feel a little crook and the kids are grizzley today.

Ernie

rebocardo

> I got one for my wife 30 years ago and thought that I was doing the right thing 

When in doubt - chocolate!

Varmintmist

I got my wife a Husly 136 for 200 bucks with case, 2 files, and a extra chain at my dealer. The 359 was a little big for her to use a lot. She can and will run the 359, but just for a specific purpose like cutting "a" log into firewood sizes. Normally I cut the big end and she limbs and cuts the little end.

Its a good little saw and I like it for limbing maples. It will walk through that limb mess fast.

Dean Hylton

Definately look at Stihl's new easy start system. when you pull up on the rope it winds a spring and then releases it to start the saw. I recently had a "seasoned" Lady come into the shop with an electric saw that she had burned up and wanted me to fix it. It was beyond hope and she was resigned to buying a bigger electric saw. Her husband had died about 4 months ago and she was unable to start the 041 in the barn. I sent here in to the Stihl shop in town that I work with to look at the 021 with the easy start system. I have not seen her since but the guys at Service Saw said that after she started it the 2nd time it was sold. Now if they would only put something like that on an 066 I could still be a wimp and feel link a manly man. 8)

pallis

I got a little Solo 650 for $262.  It has a compression release that I never use, and it starts with one or two pulls hot or cold.  It weighs about 10 lbs.

jokers

Quote from: Dean Hylton on February 22, 2005, 10:56:32 AMNow if they would only put something like that on an 066 I could still be a wimp and feel link a manly man. 8)

The Elastostart works pretty well on bigger saws. I suppose that if a person can`t get the saw started it`s a pretty good indicator that they aren`t strong enough to safely handle it. Not necessarily a bad safety feature to have built into a saw.

Russ

leweee

Quote from: jokers on February 26, 2005, 08:14:49 AM

The Elastostart works pretty well on bigger saws. I suppose that if a person can`t get the saw started it`s a pretty good indicator that they aren`t strong enough to safely handle it. Not necessarily a bad safety feature to have built into a saw.

Russ

Excellent point Russ ::) smiley_idea smiley_headscratch smiley_book2_page smiley_scholar
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!