iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Switching from Solo 651SP to 55Rancher/353

Started by konrad695, October 24, 2006, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

konrad695

I'm going to sell my like new 651SP.  I love the saw, but did not like the responces to my questions at solousa.com.  Decided I'd get a saw with a shop to back me up.  There is a good Husky dealer where I've bought a trimmer, lawn tractor,350 saw, and parts for another saw.  I sold off the 350 when I got the 651SP, because I liked it's extra power and it seemed to run smoother.  Now I'm going back but would like to stay close to the 3.6hp and rpm's of the 651.  I would like to buy used to save a little money and do some muffler work to up the hp.  Can the 55 and 353 be easily worked up to the 3.6 hp range.  I would like to do the work myself and keep total price below $250 but will probably go up to $300.  This saw will only cut a dozen trees a year and might never get used up.  If nyone has some advise I could use it before I make another bad move.  Also, can I put the 350 in the same group as the 55/55Rancher/353 as a saw that can be made to act like my 651SP.  Thank you for any help, Konrad

sawguy21

I have never tried modding but the either Husky should stand up, both are stout saws. All of the 55's left our store with 3/8 chain, what did the Solo have? I sold our last 55 on
Monday, I'm sorry to see that model go :(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

konrad695

My 651SP came with a .325 pitch narrow kerf 20" bar.  I removed it and it has a 20" power match with 33LG.  Woks great in soft wood and for limb/trim.  I also adjusted carb using a tach which helped out a lot.  Love the way it works, but hate the lack of support from Solo.

sawguy21

We see very little Solo for the same reason. I understand it is no better in Germany. Too bad, it seems to be good quality.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

I have got an understanding that the Solo is quite optimistic with their hp ratings, so I don't think you will loose much by going to the 353.
The 353 is built to higher quality standards than the Solo, and the ergonomics are better.

If you want more power, it should be pretty easy to do a muffler mod.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!