iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up a new contraption today.

Started by Just Me, December 30, 2010, 01:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I mentioned to a friend of mine with a circle mill that I was thinking about building my own slabber as I can't see paying what they get for a dedicated slabber, or even what an attachment costs for a swing mill. He told me about a contraption that another friend of mine had that was out in his scrap yard.

What it is is a chop saw of sorts that was used to cut TJI's [engineered floor joist]. It is a six foot chain saw bar, driven by a 5hp 3 ph motor, with the bar mounted on a pivot. The TJI's were slid up to the stop in a stack and the bar pivoted down and cut the whole stack at one time.

I liked the price, free, and he is going to deliver it to me on his rolloff. I just have to make him a table when I get it working and converted into a slabber. It would be good for cookie making right now, it could slice off the end of about a 4' log.

My camera was dead, but when I get it home and get some pictures I'll post them[If I can figure out how..] and get some ideas from you fellows.

Later, Larry

Captain

Congrats Larry!  Waiting for the pix!

Captain

r.man

Nice friend and a great find. I would have loved to have had access to that machine when I handled bundles of hardwood slabwood for firewood. Sounds like it should convert easy and the price was perfect.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Brad_S.

If I ever got an oppotunity to get something like you have, I would build something like this: http://www.lmsaws.com/chainsawlog.htm
I think you will need to upgrade your horsepower though.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

barbender

That's a score ;) I bet that was an expensive peice of equipment. Now you need a 20 horse vertical shaft engine, you should have found one at the junkyard while you were there ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Just Me

Its kind of like this but with more iron.

http://www.lmsaws.com/portableyard.htm

And less HP >:(

I have a larger three phase motor around, 11hp I think, may try it with that.

What about making it run off of the remote on my tractor? Enough flow? New Holland 2320 45 hp, but I know farm tractors do not have so much flow as compared to industrial equipment.

sgschwend

I assume you are going to turn the bar sideways and put a ripping chain on.

The bar will likely not be flat because of its own weight.  One way to flatten the bar is to place shims (outside only) under the bar ends, then when the bar fasteners are tightened they will deflect the bar into being level.

Should be a great project, 
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Just Me

I knew there was something out there that I could use for rails/raising&lowering mechanism that was cheap and easy to find but I just couldn't think of what it was. This morning it hit me....

A boat hoist.

Going scouting at the marina's......

tyb525

I've seen those advertised in sawmill & pallet trade magazines, never seen them used anywhere but commercial mills.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

metalspinner

Just Me,

The boat hoist is a great idea for a railing system on a saw.  While in Michigan this past summer, I saw those things everywhere and had the same thoughts as you.  I even sized up the hoist at the families cabin to check clearances and structural needs. :D My uncle thinks used ones may be available for around a grand.

One was available here on Craigslist not so long ago, but I missed that opportunity. :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!