iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Concrete covered Italian English Walnut? It is a small world after all....

Started by Delawhere Jack, November 02, 2012, 03:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Milled an odd one this morning. A fellow from South Philly brought me a 20" x 9' Italian English Walnut....... battered in sand mix concrete and gravel! :o

A homebuilder from Philly had the log that he cut down on for his neighbor eight months ago. The neighbor had brought the tree back as a sapling from Italy 20 some years ago. Judging from the bark it was juglans regia, but it may have been something else. Anyone familiar with native Italian walnuts?

So an Irish American sawyer mills an Italian/English log for an Italian American homebuilder/mason 100 yards from a river named for the 17th century queen of Sweden. And the log is covered in concrete, invented by the Greeks(?).

We were able to get most of the bark/concrete off, but we did encounter two nails...... Plain old American nails. :-\

Turns out he lives only a few blocks from where my mother was raised.

Solomon

If Mississippi wore her Newjersey, What did Deleware?  Maybe Alaska
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Solomon on November 05, 2012, 04:47:00 PM
If Mississippi wore her Newjersey, What did Deleware?  Maybe Alaska

(DRUM ROLL-CYMBAL CRASH!!) "Don't forget to tip your waitress!!!"  ;D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 05, 2012, 07:13:55 PM
Do you know what we say about pictures?

This guy was in and out like poop through a goose....No time for pics. The wood was nothing spectacular anyway.

We hit two nails and he insisted on helping me change bands. I told him several times that it's a one man job, but he said he's used to working with sharp tools and he wouldn't step back. No one got cut, so it was all good.

Solomon

DJ, Next time tell him it's 65 cents a bf to saw for him, a dollar abf if he wants to watch and 10 dollars a bf if he wants to help!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!