iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1-1/2" bands

Started by Larry, April 25, 2013, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've been wanting to test an 1-1/2" band for a long time.  This week I had some knotty red oak top logs in the 20 to 24" range.  I pushed the band as hard as 34 horses can and  no waves at all.   Stopped at 600 bf and looked at the teeth.  They were a bit dull but the band was still cutting almost as fast as new.  Went ahead and pulled it to sharpen.  And I'm not running a debarker.  I was really impressed.  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke I put another one on and had the same results.

From reading I gather most folks have close to the same experience but they dislike them because they break early.  Does anybody have any secrets to getting good life out of the 1-1/2" bands?  Maybe a manufacture that they prefer?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodmills1

My 1 1/2"  .055 woodmizer 7's will cut a thousand feet and resharpen some 6 times

Ifin I take them off at 600 feet they last as long as my 1 1/4" .045
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ga Mtn Man

Larry,

I have one 1.5" blade that I've been wanting to try too.  I know you were holding off trying the 1.5" blades because you couldn't get the tension you wanted from the stock TK spring.  Did you resolve that issue or did you just go ahead and give them a try anyway?  Did you have to slide the roller guides back?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

FeltzE

Quote from: Larry on April 25, 2013, 08:22:48 PM
  They were a bit dull but the band was still cutting almost as fast as new. 

I've noticed that myself, and suspect that because of the added thickness the blade has a greater beam strength, and more cutting edge to work with.

BTW, I concur on the lower life of the blade.  I believe someone here at FF knows the ratio of band wheel circumference and blade thickness ... recommendations/limitations.

Eric

Bibbyman

We've used 1.5 blades a number of times and they always out perform the 1.25. We've settled on the 1.25 because of the longer life and ease of changing blades.    Now that we sharpen our own blades,  standardizing on one blade and profile makes things simpler.

If we had an LT70, we'd be using 1.50 x .055 7º.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 25, 2013, 08:41:29 PM
Larry,

I have one 1.5" blade that I've been wanting to try too.  I know you were holding off trying the 1.5" blades because you couldn't get the tension you wanted from the stock TK spring.  Did you resolve that issue or did you just go ahead and give them a try anyway?  Did you have to slide the roller guides back?

I just used the stock spring with max tension.  I didn't see any downside to running the band with less than recommended tension.  Didn't touch the guides at all.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brucer

I don't think running a wider blade will reduce the life, as long as you don't increase the thickness. I switched from 1-1/4" .045 blades to 1-1/2" .045 blades and they don't break any sooner.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

I would have to agree with Brucer on this. I run 1½X.055 on one my mills and 1¾X.055 on the other one. I don't think there is any life span differance in the two blades.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: Brucer on April 25, 2013, 11:55:42 PM
I don't think running a wider blade will reduce the life, as long as you don't increase the thickness. I switched from 1-1/4" .045 blades to 1-1/2" .045 blades and they don't break any sooner.

I agree also.  We had at least a box of .045 x 1.5 and they did last longer than the .055.  Just as in the .045 vs. .055 in 1.25 wide.
Sawing since '94

FeltzE

Quote from: Brucer on April 25, 2013, 11:55:42 PM

Agreed, Hope I didn't miscommunicate

rooster 58

I've talked to three different pro sawyers now who reccomend the 1.5" blades for my lt 70. I bought a box of 1.25's to start out, but will probably switch to the wider ones. Incidently, all three sawyers told me they run their bands until production drops off, the resharp once and throw the blade away. They said it works better for them on the bottom line

Bibbyman

Quote from: rooster 58 on April 26, 2013, 09:39:41 AM
    I've talked to three different pro sawyers now who reccomend the 1.5" blades for my lt 70. I bought a box of 1.25's to start out, but will probably switch to the wider ones. Incidently, all three sawyers told me they run their bands until production drops off, the resharp once and throw the blade away. They said it works better for them on the bottom line

We visited with an LT300 user who did the same thing.  The chance of breaking on third run was significant.  When a blade broke, you stop production until cleared and replaced.  In his case he had five employees that got an unscheduled break too.

I also thought they pushed their blades a lot longer than I would so they could change out at end of day or dinner break.
Sawing since '94

barbender

Bibby, it seems I've seen you mention "if we had an LT70" a few times, are you getting ready to step up ???
Too many irons in the fire

Bibbyman

Quote from: barbender on April 26, 2013, 01:44:13 PM
Bibby, it seems I've seen you mention "if we had an LT70" a few times, are you getting ready to step up ???

No. We're too old and slow for the mill we have now! Besides,  I'd have to start making mods all over again.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I know of a 70 up here that has low hours, runs 7 degree and the owner may be getting old

Ha Ha Ha he is old but loves his .055's
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

On the LT-40 can I just move the guides back 1/4" and run the 1.5" bands, or do I have to go through a whole setup procedure with a band installed every time I change band widths? I have a few 1.5" 13° that I'd like to try.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

can't help but I did get some 13 degrees from the previos owner and could not find enough clear soft no knot wood to make them cut

maybe just my problem but they would wiggle and flutter over every pine knot
I only get so much aspen/poplar

Dave Shepard

Interesting. They were sent to me be WM in '08 specifically for knotty pine. :D I remember LT40HDD51 used to use 13s on spruce with good results.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brucer

My friend, John, likes to really push his blades through the wood. He was getting too much wave with the 1-1/4" x .045 blades, so he switched to 1-1/2 x .050 blades. When he adjusted the guide rollers back, he thought there was too much blade hanging off the front. He called Wood-Mizer and they said they made wider rollers for the 1-1/2" blades, so he bought a set.

He says he can push the saw much harder now and still get straight cuts.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JustinW_NZ

I'm running 1.5 * .45 10deg bands on my lt40SH and find them fine.
I'm portable and find then the best all-round so far and have lots of hard knots in hardwoods etc and just keep on push through with no problems (now the bugs are ironed out of the machine from the previous owner)...

My machine has the rollers to match as well I think, so there's not much band overhang.

I cant compared sharpening to the smaller bands as I've never run them, but im getting many sharpen's out of them.

Cheers
Justn
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

FeltzE

Quote from: woodmills1 on April 26, 2013, 08:52:24 PM

maybe just my problem but they would wiggle and flutter over every pine knot

So true with my big old knotty pines the guys bring me.  The .055 with 7degree hook work much better there.

Thank You Sponsors!