iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

repair question on older saw

Started by foresthawk, December 01, 2004, 06:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foresthawk

have an old craftsman saw; 70s vintage; 3.7/17.
 engine runs fine, but has problem with lots of wobble at the clutch/sprocket.   any ideas as to what is wrong and how to go about fixing?      appreciate any advice.

Kevin

Is the wobble in the clutch or the shaft?

foresthawk

stating i am a novice mechanic--  but it appears the shaft coming out of the engine is tight;   where the wobble (play) exists  is where the clutch /sprocket  sit on that shaft -
that is to say the  clutch/sprocket wobble on that shaft.

Lewis Brander

I would say that your should remove the clutch and take a dial indicator and check the shaft for being bent. If the shaft is straight and not bent, then you'll need to replace the clutch parts that are causing the clutch to wobble. Possibly the center needle bearing or bushing in the clutch drum. Good luck in finding parts, if you need them. If there is a brass bushing in the center of the clutch drum, can be made at a machine shop. The needle bearing might be able to be cross referenced to get a replacemant after its been measured. Good luck. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

foresthawk

i follow what you said.
now --  can you advise how is clutch removed?  i am figuring special tool is needed  -- and would clutch be loosened by turning it  off clockwise, or counterclockwise?

oldsaw

Loosen it clockwise.  Pull the plug and then pull the rope until the piston is all the way to the bottom of the cylinder (I put a dowel or screwdriver in to see where it is), then stuff the cylinder with a few feet of 1/4" or 3/8" rope.  The piston will stop on the rope and you will be able to loosen the clutch.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Kevin

For a few bucks you can buy a piston stop.
If you get the rope caught in the exhaust port you'll be in trouble.

Lewis Brander

Foresthawk. You want to be carefull and not get the piston down below the intake or exhaust ports when using the rope trick or you will end up with problems. You also have to be carefull with using a piston stop. If it isn't used properly, a person can wipe out the sparkplug threads in the cylinder. I've removed clutched by using a 6 sided wrench on the clutch hub and tapping it in the clockwise direction with a brass hammer with just the piston pushing against compression. Then on an old saw wheere things were rusted up pretty good I've used an impact wrench set on low, to jar things loose. Just be carefull an not use too much torque or the crank could be twisted out of alingment, especially if it's a press together type of crank. Usually on newer saws crank threads on the right side (clutch side) are left hand threads and on the leftside (flywheel side) they are right handed threads. Just be carefull and use a little common sence and you hopefully, will not hurt anything. If in doupt, ask questions. Take care. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

foresthawk

turns out needle bearing was gone; appears toa be no other damage evident.
any idea where replacement bearing may be had?
too old for sears to supply.  

Avalancher

Quoteturns out needle bearing was gone; appears toa be no other damage evident.
any idea where replacement bearing may be had?
too old for sears to supply.  
I would also try Napa Auto parts, they are pretty good, here at least, in measuring your old bearing and coming up with something that will work. CarQuest is also pretty good.

johnjbc

I have one of those saws. Every time I bought a new sprocket they sent me a new bearing along with it. I would call about a new sprocket and ask if it comes with one. I think I have the operators manual if that doesn't work
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Thank You Sponsors!