iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soviet Chainsaws

Started by Tom Sawyer, February 19, 2005, 05:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I read an old thread about Russian chainsaws and thought you might like to see some pics.  This is a guy that I hired here in Kyrgyzstan to cut up some firewood for me.  He really knew how to use his saw and I could tell he took good care of his equipment.

Tom

Let's see if this works!

The links are there, but is there a way to post the actual picture?

Tom

click on your picture and beneath it will be the address, already indside of tags.  Copy and paste that address into your post.   You can use the modify button on your post and put the pictures in the old post if you like.

pigman

Tom Sawyer,
The chainsaw has some weird looking handles. :o It would take me awhile to get used to that saw.
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

chet

Looks like a motorized kids tricycle converted to a chainsaw.  :)  Jeff is gonna wine and cry 'till he gits one of dem.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom Sawyer

I can get one for him, but he has to figure out how to get it from here!  It wouldn't fit in a suitcase very well and I wouldn't want to be the one who has to explain to a customs agent why anyone would want to bring one of those back to North America :D :D :D

redpowerd

that sucker looks like a forearm builder, looks like he may have his thigh in that cut in the last pic.

im sure he just loves that chainsaw :D

WEIRD
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

weimedog

I have to wonder what the logic behind that setup is.....maybe easier on your back? Or maybe an evolution from the old two man saws....looks like one ..only smaller.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jeff

I have begun my wine.  I want one! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Barkman

Wild looking tool!

It just struck me as I looked at the pictures, no chainbrake, no chaps, no helmet, no faceshield, no hearing protection.  Yep, all of the expected safegaurds of a Soviet design are present!  :D

Mark M

Actually that saw might not be all that unsafe. His hands are not in line with the blade and pretty far away. There is a mechanical advantage against kickback by having that handle bar post almost as long as the bar.

It still looks pretty awkward and I don't know how you would cut down trees.

Furby

Double Jeff's order! I think I'd like to play with one myself. ;)
Drain the gas and oil, break it down a bit, and send it, shouldn't be to big of a deal if ya let it air out after draining.

Jeff

Seems like they would be possible to ship some how. ;D

Furby

Probly just come down to $$$. ;)

spacemule

Hoop

Typical Russian junk.  Technology out of the 1930's.  Think you'd put out more wood in a day with a swede saw......and be far less frustrated.

I'd venture to say the chainsaws made by McCulloch back in the 60's are perhaps say, 100 times better than that russian debris.

It still amazes me that the Russians were able to build ANYTHING capable of space travel, so shoddy is their engineering.

I'm sure anyone using this sort of chainsaw for a day would come away with the following opinion: Bomb the factory that makes the chainsaw and beat the engineers that developed it within an inch of their lives.

Tom Sawyer

Hoop,  you are probably right about the quality of the saw, however, these guys have never used anything different and have no idea what they are missing (could this be like the people who don't buy an orange sawmill because they have never used one :D :D :D Whoops!  Wrong forum! ;D). 

Spacemule,  the Russian saws' bar pivots like the one you picture for horizontal cutting.  My guy actually swivelled his while the saw was running (the chain wasn't moving tooooo fast ::))

To all you guys who really want one, the saw itself would probably run somewhere around $50-$75 depending on age and condition.  I could probably find new ones, but I can't say for sure.  Shipping is another story.  I can check around a bit if you are really serious.

Hey,  I just thought of a great new business idea:  Importing Russian chainsaws.  How much are you guys really willing to pay??? ;D ;D ;D

Tom

devo

There's probably a forum somewhere full of Russian's looking and at a picture of a Sthil or Husky, scratching thier heads wondering how we can use something so funny looking!

I'm with Jeff and Furby I think it would be cool to have one of those.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Jeff

I strongly hesitate about condemning another cultures ideas and ways. I would much rather learn to understand how and why such machines came to be. To me, having one of those saws to look at and work on would be quite a thought provoking experience. How and why did they arrive at the decision to do this in this way? I would imagine political science has as much to do with mechanical design there as does principals in engineering.

We have at least a couple members of the Forestry Forum that are Russian and they do their best, mostly on the drying board, to communicate and share information. I very much appreciate that.

Buzz-sawyer

I would LOVE to have on even if it was not a runner........just to study it.......
What is shipping and customs costs on JUNK? ;) :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

I dont think anybody that calls them Junk should get one before me.  ;D

rebocardo

> How and why did they arrive at the decision to do this in this way?

3rd world engineering where they can not afford engineers, molds, drop forging, lathes, tooling, welders, and metals to produce a modern appliance. In a country full of motorcycles and bikes where many people can not afford cars, building a chain saw based on motorcycle and bike parts makes sense because you do not need an engineer or tooling to do it.

You just need access to motorcycle and bike parts including the spur gears to cobb something together. I bet the most expensive thing is the bar and that is probably imported. There is a VW bug somewhere missing its muffler ...

I bet it beats cutting the tree up by hand saw, plus, the guy made money for him (and probably his family) so its all good for him :-)

redpowerd

thats why i said i bet he loves that thing....i seen the duke boys cutting firewood with a buck saw on tv once.....dosent look fun. ;D

looks like you run that thing from the hip or thigh, and the more i look at it the more it looks like a backsaver.

do you think husky produced that saw to market to the folks that got accustomed to those bicycle saws?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Buzz-sawyer

Jeff B
Call it what ya like ...........its merely semantics..I have SEEN your yard ornaments 8)
( I got a new camera yesterday...so Ill show some more of my junk)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawguy21

SpaceMule, is that a pic of a Russian market Husky or were you having fun with a photo shop? :D  I would have to try one verrry carefully. The possibility of kick back with that setup scares me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on February 20, 2005, 11:48:11 AM
Jeff B
Call it what ya like ...........its merely semantics..I have SEEN your yard ornaments 8)
( I got a new camera yesterday...so Ill show some more of my junk)

I dont have a clue what you might be refering to here. If you are talking about the old engines that were here, or the drag saws,  they had a current value of more then the car you were driving and they are still gaining value every day.

They are only brought out to display.  The only yard ornamaments I have are trees and an American Flag.

Thank You Sponsors!