iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar rail clearence

Started by ohiowoodchuck, December 26, 2015, 08:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

When do you guys usually replace or repair your bars. What clearence is too much. Here is my example. I got a 20" stihl .050 bar, the gap measures around .060 all the way around. Is .010
Too much clearence. I really wanted to use this bar on parts and pieces 460 I just built but it has me wondering. Thanks.
Education is the best defense against the media.

HolmenTree

Is the bar one piece laminated or solid body with a replaceable  nose?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ohiowoodchuck

Solid body with replaceable nose.

HolmenTree

Ok as long as your bar rails are in good shape with no chipping in the surface of the bar rails you can tighten up the rail kerf.
I use a brass hammer and a .050 bar cleaner hook tool for a shim . Gently hammer both sides of each rail edge on a anvil.
If the bar is bent you can hammer out the center where the bend is highest, laying the bar on the anvil with the peak of the bend upwards.

dutchman

There is  tool for closing the gap.
I think I got mine from Bailey's.
It uses rollers.

ohiowoodchuck

I've seen the roller tools. I was just wondering when is a good time for repair. Plus I was trying to use what I have instead of dropping 50.00 on a new one.

HolmenTree

Trust me I tried one of those roller closers and they don't work near as good as a hammer. :)

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if my local dealer has a cleaner, if not I'll make one on the mill. Then I'll hammer away with my big brass hammer.

HolmenTree

You can make a shim of  almost anything, just make sure you put a "handle" on it like the hook on my cleaner. This allows you to pull  the shim along the length of the bar while hammering.

CR888

I like Holman's setup, from the nice big anvill to the big brass hammer. Perfection is usually simple. Good stuff to have in the 'grinding' department of ones shop. I suppose the redneck thing to do would simply start using 058 chain.

leeroyjd

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 26, 2015, 09:38:40 PM
Trust me I tried one of those roller closers and they don't work near as good as a hammer. :)

I wonder if this is because you can use a shim with your method and if you are not careful with roller you'll be opening up rails instead. Looking forward to trying your way.

ohiowoodchuck

I wasn't trying to get to technical with it or down to the .0001. I just figured a couple thousands were plenty to lube the chain and bar.

HolmenTree

Quote from: leeroyjd on December 27, 2015, 05:47:10 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on December 26, 2015, 09:38:40 PM

I wonder if this is because you can use a shim with your method and if you are not careful with roller you'll be opening up rails instead. Looking forward to trying your way.
The roller tool I used had a built in shim plus spare shims in different gauges.
It would close the rail kerf but upon using the saw the rails would gradually spread back out again . Hammering puts the memory in the rail steel back to its original spec.

Putting a  .058 chain into a .060 spread .050 bar doesn't work as the bottom part of the .058 drive links pinch in the bottom of the kerf and the side inks don't completely ride on the rail surfaces.
Rails must be completely  verticle  to each other with same gauge top and bottom.

sawguy21

It works as long as the chain is worn ;D but you are correct. Using a heavier gauge chain to compensate for a worn bar is false economy although many do it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Have fun wearing in new .058 chains in that bar :D

ohiowoodchuck

I picked up a rail cleaner. I measured it at .053 and the rail on a new 3/8 .050 bar measurses .054 so this should work nicely. They want 63.99 at stihl for a 20" bar with a replaceable nose. That's way to much, I'll fix what I have. Thanks for the help holmen tree.

Thank You Sponsors!