iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lucas 1030

Started by hogs4hobby, April 27, 2009, 01:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogs4hobby

hello , I'm new to the forum, very first posting. I was wondering how many folks use the lucas mills & how do they like them. I bought a 618 new in 2002 & just sold it a few weeks ago. I really loved it, but wanted the ability to cut wider boards without double cuttin. so I replaced it with the new 1030 mill. very sweet cutting mill.

bandmiller2

Welcome hogs,where are you located??I have everything else but a swing mill but as soon as the guys are up from their naps you'll be hearing from them we have alot of Lucas users.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

brdmkr

Welcome hogs.  I have a 618 and like it just fine.  However, I aamthinking hydraulics may be in order on the next mill.  I have been doing a good bit of double cutting lately and it is a bit tiring, but it works. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

okie

Welcome to the forum.
I too own the 618 mill, and also like it very much. Reckon I would really like to have a model 8 machine but the 618 does what it is supposed to do. I've been eyeballing the 1030 ever since I got my latest baileys catalog. I do'nt have a very big need for large dimension lumber or beams so the 6" cut is great for me but I would really like an 8" cut.
Glad to hear the new mill is working well.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

pep

Welcome Hogs

I have a 827 and am very impressed with the mill.  Just wish winter wasn't so long.  :( :( The lakes here are still frozen and still some snow in the bush.  Frost is almost out of the ground. Will be sawing in a few days.  Also have the use of a Norwood Lumbermate 2000 for wide boards.  Are you sawing big logs. 

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Meadows Miller

Gday

and Welcome to the forum Hogs  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) You have come to the rite place  pull up a pack anytime Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
How many Hrs did you put on the 6-18 before you upgraded  ;) ???

I have used afew  lucas's over the years and put a few thousand hrs on em  ;) ;D and they are a top preformer for the money mate the 1st one i used was the 2nd one ever built  ;) ;D 8) and ive used one other 8-20 before i got my 97mod  8-20 Lucas in december i havent had the chance to use a 8-27 or 8-30 so i dont notice the lack off hp  ;) :D :D I saw the 10-30  when i was up at lucas last year picking up parts for the 8-20 and was going to finance a new 10-30  but the 8-20 came up for sale and i got it for $7700 au with only 75 hrs on the clock so i went with it as i dont cut much on it over 8" and i couldnt go wrong with it at that price anyway  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

hogs4hobby

i live in florida panhandle, my 618 had about 800 hrs at the most on it when i upgraded it. i dont get to as much as would like to due to fact that I hold down a full time job as a lineman with a power company to support the sawmill habbit!!

DanG

Welcome to the Forum, Hogs!  I'm not sure, but I think I've been invited to go have a look at your new mill, by a certain character who is known to both of us. ;) 8) 8)  I'm right up the road from you, just north of Greensboro.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

hogs4hobby

DANg , you more than welcome to come by and take a look at the mill, i live down town frink which is just south of clarksville on hwy 73 south. will be sawing all weeken on somwe red ceader logs.

ARKANSAWYER

I give a Howdy to Hogs but I got a question?  How come the swingmills stop at 10 inch wide cut.  Americans sure love our 1 x 12's.  But I have noticed that alot of overseas buyers seem to want 25 cm lumber ( 10 inch ?).   So I was just a wondering why they have such large honking logs and only make little narrow boards?  ???
  Can't the MD mills cut 12 wide?
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

Arkey, I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm gonna give it a crack.  Maybe someone who really knows will come along and either confirm or set me straight.

I'm athinkin' that it has something to do with blade tensioning.  A good saw Doc can hammer a blade of any size, but to hammer one to cut in two different planes would be asking a lot.  The bigger the blade, the harder it would be.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

hogs4hobby

blade tension i think has alot to do with it. the 618 i sawed with was trouble free as far as the blade cutting. if the water tank went dry you could pretty well finish sawing the log , not really that big of a deal. but a i have notice on the 1030 with the much large blade you HAVE TO keep the water flowing on the blade at all times or you will get some odd size lumber.

so i think the reason most swing blades stop @ the 10" mark is that the bigger blades give a little more trouble than the smaller blades. just my thoughts though.

Firebass

Quote from: DanG on May 01, 2009, 10:07:27 PM
Arkey, I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm gonna give it a crack.  Maybe someone who really knows will come along and either confirm or set me straight.

I'm athinkin' that it has something to do with blade tensioning.  A good saw Doc can hammer a blade of any size, but to hammer one to cut in two different planes would be asking a lot.  The bigger the blade, the harder it would be.
Good therory there DanG. 
I'm-a-think'n, your-athinkin' makes sense.  Horizontally gravity has to be pulling down on the blade.   and if you were to tension a large blade to run horizontal then when you flipped to vertical it seems the blade would want to cup.  And if you tensioned it to run vertical it seems it would cup downwards and cause it to dive when flipped horzontal.  I too, hope someone will come along and confirm or set us straight.

ErikC

I am no expert on blade science, but have thought the same thing as Arky about the 1x12's.
Besides what was mentioned I think swinging the bigger blade poses some problems due to the width,( probably about 28-30"), and the frame and arbor would have to be pretty heavy duty. The dimension mills might be the most efficient way to get the bigger blade in use. They run it in the vertical all the time, and that seems to be the way to go with blades over a certain diameter.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

woodbowl

Hey Hogs, DanG and me will try to get over your way before long and see your new mill.  ;)  Here's the official "who has what" thread for you to post your mill in. It's great to be able to run through and find everyone that has a particular mill.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,16971.msg539781.html#msg539781
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!