iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best places to see on Vancouver Island?

Started by oakiemac, March 12, 2009, 10:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Thinking about heading to Seattle then north from there on a ferry to check out Vancouver Island this summer. 8)
I was briefly there once when I was in the Navy but I'd like to go back and actually check the island out and not just the local bars. ::)
Wondering what's the best places to see  and things to do. I do a lot of Kayaking so I'm hoping to rent one and maybe do some whale watching. I would also like to do some fishing and or hiking. Just wondering what the "Must See" places are and best restruants. I'm not a big fan of the touristy places-I'd prefer getting out in the back country. Any input would be appreciated.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Coon

If it was me I would check out the Nanaimo area of Vancouver Island.  There you can take a short ferry ride over to Gabriola Island.  It looks to be very beautiful and has something I would love to check out.  On the southern end of the island is Island School of Building Arts which looks very interesting.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Paul_H

Drive from Victoria to Nanaimo and catch the ferry to Horseshoe Bay.Drive North 2 hours to the small town of Pemberton.I hear there is a guy up there with a Mobile Dimension. :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ironwood

I was once there and got stranded when i locked my keys in my car. It rained like mad while I waited for the AAA locksmith ended up crawling under the car to get out of the rain ::). As I recall I was in a REALLY nice park north of town above the water. What a COOL place. I dont like cities, but even that was cool. Enjoy.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Paul_H

That sounds like Stanley Park.It is a pretty spot,right next to the Lions Gate Bridge.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

oakiemac

Paul-I forgot you lived in that neck of the woods. I might look you up when we go. The trip is not for certain at this point but that area is on the top of the list. We are also considering Northern CA to see the Redwoods.

Either way, I cant wait. Been a long time since I've been in that area.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

Oakie,

Gotta go to Sciota, the old Palco lumber town. Museum there is WAY cool. Especially check out the story of the 1000 year flood of 1964 WOW, every bridge in 5 counties washed out  :o. In the Humbolt park you can camp among the Big'uns. In Eureka, check out the Carson estate (also photographed in the Time / Life "Loggers" book). Cresent City lighthouse is cool, there was a sunami way back, wiped out the city, the guy at the lighthouse was spared but saw it coming :o that'd be scary.

Ironwood

oakiemac

Sounds like there are a lot of places I need to check out! I can't wait.

Reid, all those places in N. California?

Ironwood

They are all in or near Humbolt County. Most of the coastal giant redwoods are there as well. If you fish, the rivers there are vibrant w/ clear water and a pallet of colored rocks on their bottoms that will amaze you (I am a hobby geologist).

Ironwood

oakiemac

So many places to see, so little time and money! :(

Ironwood

"Hotel De Ford" .......  :D Hostels are a good option also.  Personally I like Hotel De Ford, it is kind of a family joke at this point w/ my boys. I have slept many nights in my little Subaru's while doing outdoor activities from Maine-to-Washington-to-Arizona-to-Canada-to-Texas.

Ironwood

DRB

Victoria is nice place to visit it is like going back in time to England.

Butchart Gardens is a must see at least once in a liftime

http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Thank You Sponsors!