iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic winch

Started by loggerman1959, November 28, 2017, 06:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I run a Gearmatic 19 winch on an international S8A skidder. Lately when I pull a hitch up to the arch the winch continues to reel in even after I release the winch lever . It only seems to do it when there is a load on it. If there are no logs , it stops fine . Any ideas what it could be ???

loggerman1959

No one has ever had this problem ?

coxy

when mine did that the lining on the clutch band was shot 

loggerman1959

What was the cure , new clutch band ?

coxy

yep  just look at them when you pull the cover off they will wear on even some times and that's what made mine stick only when there was a load never empty sometimes the bands will brake and a piece will jam in there just right  also the inner band is hard to see with out taking the spider off but its not hard to do

tacks Y

On mine (a dozer) the lining came off the band. Then grabbed in between.

Ed_K

On my taylor the brake band came apart and did it.
Ed K

ga jones

The cams on the clutch band  may just be out of adjustment.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

loggerman1959

What's involved in adjusting them ?

coxy

when adjusting them use a hack saw blade put it between the drum and band so it moves freely  you need a screw driver and a good 6point socket stay away from 12 point they will strip the head of the bolt  my outer band was the one that was making it stick don't know why it wore out so fast as it was not adjusted as tight as the inner but the lining on the outer band  was a softer compound than the inner and was down to the metal and would stick fast with a load it worked fine with out a load    how does it free spool if the bands are to tight it will wind in by its self

ga jones

The drum can warp as well. Sometimes you have to adjust the cams by eye and feel. You can run the winch with the side cover off and watch it.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

coxy

just watch that little nipple don't push out when trying to winch one of my winches you can put all the pressure on you want it wont pop out the other one just a little pressure and the dam thing is out and fluid all over  ::)

ga jones

On my 380 I just stick a felling wedge between the gland tube and the frame to hold it in. Idk how the IH is set up.

pdxh20

My hydraulic swivel, and the two little ball bearings were buggered up, plus the flange on the back of the gland plate snapped off at the o-ring groove when I went to remove it. So I converted it to use a 1/4" S-series Parker live swivel. Easily rebuildable and only $25 on e-bay. Drilled out the thick gland plate and threaded it internally 1" NPT, then screwed in a 1" x 1/4" bushing and the swivel. Works great, but I did have to make a bump-out in the gland cover because it stick out a little further. I sealed the gland plate and shim (I only have one) to the shaft end with Locktite 518 before torquing it down.
'56 American crawler crane, Komatsu mini-ex, multiple Stihl saws, '75 IH S-8 cable skidder, 2000 F450 30' bucket truck, '95 Chev 4 x 4 2500 p/u, '05 Sprinter SHC 2500 van

Thank You Sponsors!