iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Is This? USFS Equipment?

Started by Phorester, December 06, 2014, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

This was found in the local USFS warehouse while cleaning it out.  Evidently they only clean once ever 50 years or so.  ;D Does anybody know what this is?  Might not be specifically USFS related. There is no manufacturing label or other marks, numbers, etc. on it.  Stand about 3 feet tall.  The spool rests in slots on top of the frame legs.  It can be easily lifted out.  Turns with the handle.

loggah

It looks like a old wire roller for winging up electrical cable, maybe used for blasting wire leads.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mad murdock

It looks like a small hose winder, or cord/rope winder.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

redprospector

Hmm. It looks like 2 little white x's in black boxes, inside white boxes to me.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Phorester

But when you lift the spool out, the handle comes with it since it is attached permanently to the spool.  So anything rolled up on it can only be removed by unrolling it.  I don't see why you would want to do that.

Banjo picker

Quote from: redprospector on December 06, 2014, 06:50:07 PM
Hmm. It looks like 2 little white x's in black boxes, inside white boxes to me.  :o
what he said
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

Quote from: Phorester on December 06, 2014, 06:35:54 PM
This was found in the local USFS warehouse while cleaning it out.  Evidently they only clean once ever 50 years or so.  ;D Does anybody know what this is?  Might not be specifically USFS related. There is no manufacturing label or other marks, numbers, etc. on it.  Stand about 3 feet tall.  The spool rests in slots on top of the frame legs.  It can be easily lifted out.  Turns with the handle.

Looks like the one end opposite the handle moves off out on that rod to the stop at the end, thus collapsing the inner part, releasing whatever is rolled up. Rope, telegraph wire, barbed wire, cable, etc.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

Hmmmm..... I reckon that I somehow accidentally deleted the photos of this contraption.  Trying again;

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Phorester

Well........ this was used by the USFS in an eastern national forest that is completely forested, no open range land as out west.  So I don't think they would have used it for barbed wire since they don't use barbed wire. Why would you want to roll up barbed wire anyway?

Not arguing, just discussing.

beenthere

When done using barb wire, one doesn't want to just leave it lay to get caught up in everything.

So the only other choice is to "roll it up".  When barb wire gets old and rusty, again, don't want to leave it lay. So again, have to roll it up.

But back in the day, the FS would run lines out through the woods for telegraph and phone connections. I believe even for some outlying fire fighting posts. Communication was by wire, not by CB radios, etc.

I see several needs for rolling up things that were once strung out.

Will that reel collapse if the right side opposite the handle slide out on the center rod?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tmarch

Wire roller, the spools are left on the rolls to be redeployed.  It came with spare spools and was used for telecom wire mostly as it is real stiff and will spring into a giant slinky without the U shaped containers.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

mikeb1079

QuoteBut back in the day, the FS would run lines out through the woods for telegraph and phone connections. I believe even for some outlying fire fighting posts. Communication was by wire, not by CB radios, etc.

yep.  we used to have one at work (elec shop) just like it.  make the diameter larger and wind up your wire then it collapses to take it out.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Phorester

BEENTHERE; "Will that reel collapse if the right side opposite the handle slide out on the center rod?"

Don't know.... I'll  check this next time I'm down that way, which could be a few weeks.

Many thanks MIKE and TMARCH. 

SliverPicker

None of the above.  It's an antique back scratcher.......
Yooper by trade.

HiTech

Could have been used with telegraph wire.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!