iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brown oak

Started by qbilder, November 23, 2010, 08:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbilder

Has anybody ever cut an oak that had dark brown wood? I cut a small log this weekend that had chocolate brown wood with very bold medullary rays that were nearly black. It was stunning quarter sawn wood. I have never seen anything like it but would love to have a load for myself. I'm in the mountains of southern NM and oak isn't uncommon but it's always just the typical sandy blond colored stuff. I grew up in the Appalachian mountains & we cut several varieties of oak but I have never seen anything that was dark brown. It wasn't bacteria or mineral stained. It was consistent dark brown with a thin white sap ring. I wish I had pics. But I was grinning every cut, amazed & awed with it. It was like walnut stained white oak but natural.

Is this a species of tree I can identify & target? I'd love to have a load. Thanks   
God bless our troops

paul case

sounds like post oak to me. real hard. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I immediately thought Post Oak, but my book doesn't show it that far West.  Some of our Foresters probably can help.  Leave and bark samples would help.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

qbilder

The bark doesn't seem any noticeably different than other oaks around here. And the leaves are miniature. They are only a couple inches long by maybe an inch wide. I won't know til spring exactly what different varieties we have because there's no leaves right now. But I have noted some with sharp lobs & some with rounded lobes. None get very large or straight so they're not a commercially cut tree. The largest I have seen are pushing 24"x8' before branching. I'm not native here & don't know the trees well enough yet. But I have seen lots of the local oak & this is the first time I seen dark brown.

I have found 2 types of hard maple growing here, plus a tree that is strikingly similar to cherry in every way except instead of the sweet cherry smell, the lumber has an almost citric smell. Even the leaves & bark look the same as cherry. None of the trees get large or abundant enough for commercial logging/milling so there's not much info about them. The conifers are quite popular for milling around here while the scrubby little hardwoods are ignored.....except for firewood.

I appreciate the lead on post oak. I'll look into it. Many thanks.     
God bless our troops

Magicman

Your leaf description eliminates Post Oak.  It had already been eliminated by geography.  Canyon Live Oak is a possibility.  It's leaves are one-third enclosed and it loses it's leaves yearly.  It's found in Southwestern US.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

May not be the same but I've cut oak with that brown coloration that had a cavity where a branch had broken off and the pocket held water. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

In my limited experience, the white oak group produces more of a brown heartwood while the red oak group produces heartwood that has more red in it and less brown.  However, that may not apply out West.  Therefore, when I read your description, I suspected a white oak of some sort.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I've cut some white oak that had real dark heart with distinct rays.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

qbilder

It does have white oak characteristics such as the bold rays. The other oaks here seem to be like a red oak with finer rays and lighter color. It's not brown from a rotten branch. This is uniform & consistent color throughout the log from base to top, and distinct line between heart & sap. I appreciate the help, fellas. I think I have some leads to look into.     
God bless our troops

LeeB

I vote for live oak. How hard was it? Didi it gum up your blades real bad?. Leaf shape oblong and rounded with a small point on the end, about 1 1/2" long and 1/2" wide? Sounds like something similar to a live oak in central Texas called scrub oak.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

qbilder

Quote from: LeeB on November 24, 2010, 12:31:35 AM
I vote for live oak. How hard was it? Didi it gum up your blades real bad?. Leaf shape oblong and rounded with a small point on the end, about 1 1/2" long and 1/2" wide? Sounds like something similar to a live oak in central Texas called scrub oak.

That maybe sounds like our culprit. Muchos gracias
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!