iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you pay for stumpage ?? Red oak, White, poplar, ash, walnut ??

Started by RunningRoot, November 09, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

For the last 2-3 years I've been logging I have only bought 1 tract of standing timber and it was a smaller tract at that, about 40,000 feet.  Around these parts all landowners are used to 50/50 and thats what they have become comfortable with.. I've cut a couple 60% with 40% going to landowner, but these were very tough tracks and time consuming... Wanna try and start buying some of the smaller tracts I cut once in awhile but wouldnt know where to start as far as fair pricing for stumpage..

Also, if anyone has any good literature on GRADING TIMBER ON THE STUMP, let me know or shoot me a link if its not to much trouble...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

Quote from: ga jones on November 09, 2014, 05:06:06 PM
That question is relative.
Yup. Around here it varies by species and whether it's logs pulp or firewood
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Theres always a median stumpage price, it's up to you to know limits and what the terrain and all the other variables that are in place cost. I would say start getting mill price sheets in your area and work the #'s backwards. I do like 50/50 though. Good Luck.

David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treeslayer2003

yep, 50/50 for timber or any thing that pays 300 or better........pulp is slow starvation here, i won't pay for it and don't really want it.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RunningRoot on November 09, 2014, 03:26:58 PM
For the last 2-3 years I've been logging I have only bought 1 tract of standing timber and it was a smaller tract at that, about 40,000 feet.  Around these parts all landowners are used to 50/50 and thats what they have become comfortable with.. I've cut a couple 60% with 40% going to landowner, but these were very tough tracks and time consuming... Wanna try and start buying some of the smaller tracts I cut once in awhile but wouldnt know where to start as far as fair pricing for stumpage..

Also, if anyone has any good literature on GRADING TIMBER ON THE STUMP, let me know or shoot me a link if its not to much trouble...
standing hard wood can be a crap shoot until you get some expeiriance...........ground type plays a big role..........impossible to explain. i still er on the side of caution and use a middle of the road price for estimates.......i rather come up over than under on the payout.
poplar is easier than oak as far as consistancy.......beware doyle standing log scale, it under estimates in my expeiriance unless your lookin at little timber.

BargeMonkey

50-50 is getting uncommon, its more pay up front or bids lately. Anyway, whats the price per mbft bringing in your area ? Around here this is how we break it down.
HM- 300-400 mbft  depending on how nice.
RO- 250-300 mbft.
ASH - 200 mbft
SM- 200-250 mbft
WP- 100mbft
HEM- 50 mbft, less if shaky.
Wont pay a dime for birch, basswood, and pulp is basically a losing game. Firewood is 10-15 a cord all day.

treeslayer2003

well it starts at 300 and goes up.........right now large yellow pine is 300 and the cheapest timber going..........crap maple saw logs are at 360. of course grade hard wood can go sky high, just never know and i haul tree length so i may have a dozen grades on one load.
yea, up front pay is loosing popularity here now........to many been screwed over by the giant operators...........they are dieing out as well.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 09, 2014, 06:27:21 PM
well it starts at 300 and goes up.........right now large yellow pine is 300 and the cheapest timber going..........crap maple saw logs are at 360. of course grade hard wood can go sky high, just never know and i haul tree length so i may have a dozen grades on one load.
yea, up front pay is loosing popularity here now........to many been screwed over by the giant operators...........they are dieing out as well.
2 yrs ago you couldnt give away big straight WP, even now its not bringing much. #3-#4 HM and RO saw logs are bringing 325 per mbft down the road. Youve gotta bid very careful.

chester_tree _farmah

U need to know what the markets are in your area and what the mills and yards in your area want. Good case in point is Barge Monkey not figuring anything for Birch. Around here Yellow Birch pays right up there with Hard Maple. White Birch Veneer pays the same as Yellow Birch and Hard Maple but White Birch saw logs aren't worth as much as Yellow Birch Saw logs. Can't even sell Basswood here anymore.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

Youve gotta be so careful, I did a 76mbft bid the other night, added it up, and subtracted 2500 because its 1/2 softwood. We have a market for the birch, but its after WE saw it, thru the kiln and plane it. Gotta know what your markets are. "J-willy" and the guys further up north ship alot of pine pulp, but my margin after trucking doesnt cover the fuel. You can buy 10 lots and make nothing or buy 5 right and pay your bills.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 09, 2014, 06:45:14 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 09, 2014, 06:27:21 PM
2 yrs ago you couldnt give away big straight WP, even now its not bringing much. #3-#4 HM and RO saw logs are bringing 325 per mbft down the road. Youve gotta bid very careful.
7-8 years ago big yellow pine was 400.........that ain't comin back.
whats HM?

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

treeslayer2003

Quote from: bill m on November 09, 2014, 08:16:24 PM
HM = hard maple
ah, thanks. we don't have any here.........plenty of soft maple....used to call it junk but now its as good as or better than pine.

KyLogger

Too easy to get burnt that way in my opinion (buying the boundary) I like a percentage split. The tract we are in now is fire scarred in a large percentage of the trees. If I had bought it outright I could have been in trouble. 50/50 split is VERY uncommon here anymore. It does happen on occasion and almost all landowners think their timber is worth that. 65/35 and 60/40 are my usual percentages. This timber we are in now is averaging $366 (international scale)......as of right now! Decent in my book. On veneer White Oak, and high grading large Walnut I do usually give the landowner 50% out of gratitude for letting me log their timber.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Thank You Sponsors!