iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Callenge need some advice

Started by scully, December 22, 2013, 10:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

I have a neighbor that I was friends with over 20 years , last year that ended as far as I am concerned . I get an e-mail today that he has 3 huge oak logs he would like milled . I respond that I would do it but we need to go over the paticulars of the job . I get a response that the logs scale out to about 750 BF and at .20 cents per BF it will be an easy 150$ . And that he knows how he wants them sawed . Okay Sounds like a freebee to me I have never sawn anything ever for .20 cents! I am willing to give him a deal but I was thinking that would be more like .45! As it stands it won't take much for me to just walk away . I am going down to have a look and test the water but , I am strugleing with this a bit . I am sure that grade sawing and 1/4 sawing command a bit better pay ! Am I right ?
I bleed orange  .

hunz

I can't believe you aren't wanting to jump all over that for $.20 bdft :D. I would help him out at maybe $.35-.$40 a foot if you are feeling friendly; for quarter sawing I would definitely upcharge. For me, I havent been around long, but whenever I go making deals on service rates I always end up kicking myself later. Your second sentence makes me wonder if the neighbor may be trouble and or overly particular with the job. Not sure if you do have a simple sawing agreement, but it may be a good idea if you have had a rocky past with this guy. Hope it all works out great for ya!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

beenthere

So, are you just going to quote him your sawing rate per bf and let him decide if you are going to saw his logs?
Sounds like he is the one who will "walk", but do you trust him now to pay you your rate rather than stick you for the job?
You know him best... and know if you want him back as a friend again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

I would pass.  You're already on bad terms, and it sounds like he does not only want to pay below market rates for the milling, he will also be a pain in the rear about how they are milled.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dgdrls

He must be related to the last fellow I quoted a sawing fee to.
When the customer  quotes the fee, best to bow out gracefully.

You getting ice Scully?

DGDrls

Red Good

No .

Sorry .

Thanks for thinking of me though .

Maybe next time .

Have a very good Christmas .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

5quarter

Scully...Give him your regular rate and terms. if he agrees, saw em' up, but do not load on his trailer...dead stack on the ground. don't let a single toothpick off your property until its paid.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

scully

Not worried about payment at all ,it's 3 driveways down from me .I would set up there . Just trying to figure out how he derived .20 cents a BF ? This is boardering on dredgeing up his issue with intellectual superiority to me . I think  the chances of this getting done are slim at best . I truely apreciate all the feed back ! Maybe I was born at night but not last night ......
I bleed orange  .

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Red Good on December 22, 2013, 11:54:23 PM
No .

Sorry .

Maybe next time .

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DR_Buck

First, I've NEVER sawn for 20ยข for any one.    Second, since when does any customer quote rates?  I can see negotiating (although my rates are non-negotiable) but not letting the customer decide the rate.   If that was my job to do it would cost $350 if I went to his place.   If he came to my place it would be $262, paid before loading.   

I turn down 75% of the jobs I get asked to do so I know my rates are good.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Nomad

First, 750 bf ain't 3 "huge" logs.  Another thought.  Is it possible he's trying to patch things up with you, and using this as a way to start a dialogue?  Regardless, I wouldn't let him dictate anything to me. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Nope.  Set your rate and go with that Scully!

You might consider giving a little break on your rate because the job is close, but he's not the one to set your price!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JimFX

Some people need to feel superior, that's their problem, not yours.
But personally life is to short to waste time on someone when all they do is step on you to raise themselves up.

If you want to be on some kind of friendly terms you might do the work but at your rate not his.
If you don't really want to deal with the guy, the suggested comment seems perfect.

"No .
Sorry .
Maybe next time .

Bandmill Bandit

On a job like that I'd quote him the minimum move and set up charge (mine is $600=75X8) paid in advance and hope he doesn't call you back. Not worth the hassle to move, set up and then get stuck with a fight over collecting for sawing 3 logs. No mater how nice they might be.

I will only saw by the BF when there are sufficient quality logs to keep me busy for 3 or 4 days and I am sawing "mill run". Anything else is by the hour. Saves so much hassle and eliminates most of the crap jobs. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

YellowHammer

Quote from: scully on December 22, 2013, 10:46:10 PM
I am sure that grade sawing and 1/4 sawing command a bit better pay ! Am I right ?

Quarter sawing?  Yes, no doubt.  I charge hourly rate for that, no negotiations.  It really chews up sawing time.  Sounds like he is wanting the best of both world's, premium sawing techniques at a sub standard price. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

beenthere

QuoteI get an e-mail today that he has 3 huge oak logs he would like milled . I respond that I would do it but we need to go over the particulars of the job . I get a response that the logs scale out to about 750 BF and at .20 cents per BF it will be an easy 150$ . And that he knows how he wants them sawed .

Will be interesting to see how you make out with this.

A response comes to mind, but short - like "Your funny".  Then wait for his next move.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

reswire

I've been an electrical contractor for several years, not a lot of experience milling for pay.  One thing I have learned from being a construction contractor, is NEVER, NEVER let a client dictate price!  Know what your rates are for a given service, do the best possible job you can, and above all else, never apologize for making a fair living.   I've watched several of my competitors come and go, all who folded did so by not paying attention to the details (costs) of everyday business.  You've got a lot of time and money invested in equipment I'm sure, and most importantly, you should have valuable experience that is worth money as well.  If your neighbor is a better sawyer than you, let him buy his own mill and do the job himself.  Sounds mean and arrogant I know, but you will never be good neighbors if one or both of you harbor a grudge over a small job that goes horribly wrong.

I always tell my friends and family that I have two pricing methods.  One is free, and the other is priced at the going rate.  Only my church and the "Good Lord Himself", gets the "free price", all others pay the going rate.  That way no one is insulted, and I get to go the grocery store and eat meat and potatoes like everyone else. 

Have a great Christmas, good luck with the neighbor!
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!