iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Acreage Timber Value

Started by IndyGunworks, July 29, 2012, 02:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyGunworks

Been browsing this site for a while now and have learned alot.  This is my first post (I dont post on message boards very often) so I will start by telling a bit about myself.  I am a veteran w/ a couple of tours, a fulltime firefighter for the city of Indianapolis, and an expecting father.  I do some gunsmithing on the side of firefighting hence where my screen name comes from.  I currently live in a small house on a third of an acre lot and it sucks.  I grew up in the country and want to be in the country but land prices w/in a reasonable distance to and from work is VERY expensive.  Wooded acreage is even harder to find.  That being said there is a lot available on the local market that is 229 feet wide by 1500 feet long making it 10.59 acres.  They are asking 8,000 dollars an acre.

Knowing this in order for us to get a loan on the property we will need to come out of our savings ALOT.  We discussed having the property logged (if the value is worth it) to recoup some of the down payment and rebuild savings to a safter level.

The end goal is to put a pond on the property for a geothermal unit w/in 5 years, and build on the property within 10. 

I went and looked at the propery to get an idea of the age of the woods and was quite pleased even though i dont know alot about timber value.  I have taken ALOT of pictures of the timber (roughly 40 percent of the LARGE trees) and am going to post them here to get a ROUGH idea of the value.  I have talked to several foresters who will come and give a written appraisal for around 2-300 dollars, but want to know if its worth even that before i commit.  I do NOT own the land yet and there are many more factors that need to be discussed before we purchase but the value of the timber is a HUGE consideration.

Access is decent right off a country road and the elevation doesnt really change much more than 10 feet across the property.

Here are the pictures, I will have to split them up on posts though because there are quite a few but i want to get the best estimate the internet can give me.

In these photos i placed a 2x4 that was approx 5 feet tall for width and height reference.  I understand you cannot assess simply through photo's but would like the best opinion i can get.

Norm

Indy you'll need to load your photos to the forum. Here's a thread to show how it's done. Just ask if you need help.

Welcome to the FF.  :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

Autocar

I couldn't find the pictures but at eight grand a acre you would have to have some killer trees ! But it's possible,walnut and white oak veneer may get you in that area but still it will be tuff. You talked about a pond and geo thermal, figure out how much fire wood and logs may be on that peace of land then cut it yourself and handle the sale. But to be honest don't figure to much as far as taking away to much of the asking price by selling logs off it, I myself haven't seen that happen on that small of acreage. As far as getting a estimate for your trees I can get you in touch with a buyer in your area if you want. Have a great day Bill
Bill

Gary_C

First of all, the lot size you state is actually only 7.89 acres. That's a big difference at $8000 per acre.

The pictures you mentioned are not there yet so I will just say that is a long narrow lot that will need a lot of road and landing area for a logging job.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

IndyGunworks

Pictures are up now.  I am not try to turn a profit.  8 grand an acre is a fair price in my area maybe a bit on the high side, but wooded acreage is just unavailable.  we wouldnt build for 10 years so the woods will have time to heal and regrow.

I am simply hoping for 5-10 grand.  If i know i can get somewhere in that range i will be alot more comforitable moving forward with all the other stuff I have to look into before i purchase.  here is a link to the property.

http://www.talktotucker.com/property/property.asp?noheader=&PRM_MLSNumber=2938150&PRM_MlsName=MIBOR

Norm

I don't see many trees of value in the pictures unfortunately. I also noticed in the listing it talks about it being in a flood plain. I would be hesitant to build if it is really in one.

IndyGunworks

Quote from: Norm on July 29, 2012, 02:43:51 PM
I don't see many trees of value in the pictures unfortunately. I also noticed in the listing it talks about it being in a flood plain. I would be hesitant to build if it is really in one.

the flood plane is not a concern, its already been addressed and its a flood zone x which doesnt require flood insurance and i am not concerned about flooding in the location the house would be built.

I am strickly looking at timber value to see what/if any cash i could put back into savings after the purchase.

Mark Wentzell

I don't think many logging companies would be interested in that small of a parcel. I could be wrong.

You may have extra labour/ expense after the land is logged, depending on how big of a mess the logger makes and if they leave uncut treetops and slash around.  Is there a stream or brook on the property? If there is you could run into erosion and run off issues.

If it was me I would leave the land wooded, the way wood markets are I don't know if you logging would make much of a dent,  I'm no expert though.

IndyGunworks

erosion would be almost a non issue.  I could take care of all the cleanup easy. as i would have plenty of time and the treetops would make great firewood.

also, for arguments sake, lets pretend that a logger would be interested.  What would they be paying for my logs?   

Texas Ranger

That is what the forester does for  you.  NO one here can tell you the species, grade, logging costs, or value.  Big trees are, big trees.  Value to be determined. 

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mark K

I have to agree with Norm. I went thru your pictures and dont see much of anything of real value. I could be wrong because pictures can be decieving. Are you planning on cutting it yourself? Your better off hiring a forester.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

IndyGunworks

Quote from: Mark K on July 29, 2012, 03:55:18 PM
I have to agree with Norm. I went thru your pictures and dont see much of anything of real value. I could be wrong because pictures can be decieving. Are you planning on cutting it yourself? Your better off hiring a forester.

I would not cut myself.  Just trying to see if its worth the 200 dollars or so to even have a forester come out. 

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.

Invest in the Forester, would be my recommendation. Well worth the few bucks investment. And you will gain from their insight on the rest of your plans...pond, etc.

May be a FF member close by who would have experience with your trees and help out. But a third party will save you from taking an offer that sounds good, but leaves you short of the potential (even in this depressed timber market nowadays).  Maybe thing will pick up after the election.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Welcome Indy and thank you for your service.
The professional forester will be worth the cost.  Ten years is not a long time for the forest.
If you love the property the way it is with the trees standing you may want to consider trying to do without the cutting if you can swing it.
I don't know for sure but suspect that you would receive minimal gain and possible high grading.  Try to sell a few more guns to make up the difference and keep your lot for the future. :)
Good luck,  I hope you get your lot.

IndyGunworks

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 29, 2012, 05:28:49 PM
Welcome Indy and thank you for your service.
The professional forester will be worth the cost.  Ten years is not a long time for the forest.
If you love the property the way it is with the trees standing you may want to consider trying to do without the cutting if you can swing it.
I don't know for sure but suspect that you would receive minimal gain and possible high grading.  Try to sell a few more guns to make up the difference and keep your lot for the future. :)
Good luck,  I hope you get your lot.

I dont sell guns, only repair them, and the ATF paperwork is a nightmere so i will probably only work at the gunshop...  10 an hour above the table for what has taken me YEARS to learn.  if only fireman got paid worth a *DanG.

I am not opposed to highgrading either.  I am young (27) and my wife is 24.  Having the property is more important than having lots of amazing trees.  Having a safe padding in savings is more important than having the property.  So what it comes down do is if i put 12,000 down on the property, it would be nice to get even 4,000 back to put back into savings for that rainy day fund.  I am having a hard time believing that 30 trees (at least) of that size are not worth a loggers time?

FYI i checked and fount at least two tree buyers w/in 100 miles.  Right around 85 miles one way.

beenthere

From the 31 pics in your gallery (good job on the pics by the way), the woods appears to have been cut over within the last 15-20 years. For sure a forester to walk through it. If there is $2-4000 value there, he/she will spot it rather quickly. If more, they'll let you know too.
Wish you well with the plan.
Any signs of old stumps remaining ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IndyGunworks

Quote from: beenthere on July 29, 2012, 05:40:47 PM
From the 31 pics in your gallery (good job on the pics by the way), the woods appears to have been cut over within the last 15-20 years. For sure a forester to walk through it. If there is $2-4000 value there, he/she will spot it rather quickly. If more, they'll let you know too.
Wish you well with the plan.
Any signs of old stumps remaining ??

No signs of old stumps, and currently no access for heavy vehicles because of a ditch.  I dont think this property has seen heavy equipment for a LONG time.  The family just inherited it and they have no records of it being logged.  why do you think it was logged w/in 15-20 years?

Autocar

Just to look at the pictures it looks to me like Ash, Hardmaple and a Hackberry but I may be wrong not seeing them in person. Eather way there not real big,here in west central ohio ash,hardmaple pretty dead in the water. I would think you would be hard pressed to get four thousand , but again with out seeing it it is pretty hard to give the correct opinion. Good luck
Bill

gspren

Around here you can get a forester to do a free walk and talk before you pay for anything official. A good independent forester will also know who is interested in parcels that size.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

1270d

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago.  Similar age and family status.  We were looking at a property with some timber on it, hoping to recover some of the cost by logging after the purchace.   Hired a forester to come and do a cruise/inventory.  We found out there wasn't nearly enough timber value to make it worthwhile.   The 300 some dollars for the forester was very well spent, as it kept me from making a big mistake

So I vote to hire the forester, they can check the property over whether you own it or not.  With permission from the realtor of course

WDH

On the whole, that timber is young with most of the stems in the sapling stage or just out of the sapling stage.  The largest stems are low grade logs passed over in the last harvest.  I agree with Beenthere that it was logged 15 years or so ago.  Maybe 20 years ago. 

At this stage of development, unfortunately all you have is mostly pulpwood and low grade logs, so there is minimal timber value.  However, 30 to 40 years from now, that will be a good stand of timber.  Don't count on much timber value today.  If you buy the land and manage the timber, you can have a nice little forest.  It is definitely not ready for another harvest at this stage.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Timbercruiser

Make sure the guy cutting it is a small outfitt with a line skidder and a power saw. Tell him you want the trees limbed in a few spots just for limbing and topping. That way you can burn all the mess when it's done and dont have tops and limbs all over your property. Dont let big machines like feller bunchers and graples in there. looks like nice land great pics. My only other advice is make sure its worth it and dont cut it all in one shot.  Its a real nice property and will take a long time to get back to that.  Small property logging is great if done by the right guy who cares about his work and does what the land owner wants. Makes a clean low inpact job.  Good luck

Ron Scott

Yes, have a professional forester look at it for an evaluation of the resource and economic opportunities that the property might provide.
~Ron

IndyGunworks

Quote from: Timbercruiser on July 29, 2012, 09:32:07 PM
Make sure the guy cutting it is a small outfitt with a line skidder and a power saw. Tell him you want the trees limbed in a few spots just for limbing and topping. That way you can burn all the mess when it's done and dont have tops and limbs all over your property. Dont let big machines like feller bunchers and graples in there. looks like nice land great pics. My only other advice is make sure its worth it and dont cut it all in one shot.  Its a real nice property and will take a long time to get back to that.  Small property logging is great if done by the right guy who cares about his work and does what the land owner wants. Makes a clean low inpact job.  Good luck

Thanks, not quite so sure its 80 grand nice.

Thank You Sponsors!