iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I couldn't put it off any longer so I bought a sawmill.

Started by crtreedude, September 12, 2007, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I know all of you are shocked, but I finally bought a sawmill. The choice ended up as a Baker 18M. I needed something reliable, simple and easy to repair in the jungle. It fit the bill.

Today it is rolling its way to Miami to enter a container to be boated here. What is really weird is our son's stuff (who is coming down to help) is arriving at the shipper at the same exact time and will be shipped with the sawmill. We didn't try to do this - it just happened. If we tried, it never would have.

We have about 50 logs lined up to cut already so once it gets here in a couple of weeks - I will have pictures, etc.

The good folks at Baker have been very nice to work with and very helpful. Being from Missouri originally myself I had no problems with their accents... ;)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

thecfarm

Let me be the first one to congrats you.Is this a manual mill?how many hp,what kind of motor?Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

Thanks - we will see if our workers let me play with it...  ::)

John_Haylow

Congratulations on your new purchase. Looking forward to the pictures.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Well, well.

Huh! smiley_clapping

Well, well, well.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

crtreedude

I can see everyone is nearly speechless.  :D

In some ways this has been a long time because we sort of are backing into it. I don't have a business of sawing for others - just for ourselves. Too much of a headache to saw for others. We are currently building a pretty good size wood working shop for making moldings, flooring, doors, cabinets, etc. Well, you need wood for that now dontcha? Hence the sawmill.  We have to produce between 2 to 4 thousand BF a week just to keep the workshop running. Some I can buy - but most we need to cut.

Because of the complexity of doing things here - I have found that it is simpler for us to do everything ourselves. This is sure expanding the size of the company, but reducing the number of my headaches. Our employees are excellent for getting things done - but most contractors here sort of get things done when they want to and how they wish to.   ::)

After Friday, I am not longer doing software consulting - that leaf of my life is hopefully gone forever. I am thinking I will at least get a chance to play with the machine some - at the very least translate the English into Spanish!

Jim_Wahl

Dude! Congratulations!
Didn't you have a swingblade? What happened to that?
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

ADAMINMO

Quote from: thecfarm on September 12, 2007, 08:23:51 PM
Let me be the first one to congrats you.Is this a manual mill?how many hp,what kind of motor?Have fun.

Thecfarm - That would be a 20hp Honda gas engine.All manual mill.Should work perfect for what crtreedude is doing.

Keep us updated dude.

leweee

;D Congrats Fred.....from a fellow manual miller. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

crtreedude

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on September 13, 2007, 08:47:01 AM
Dude! Congratulations!
Didn't you have a swingblade? What happened to that?

Harold (aka FloridaDeadHeader) has the swingblade. We have an Alaskan that we use at times but really haven't had the need for a sawmill up till now. If we run across something really big Harold can come over and cut it up - but the bulk of our need is 2 foot or less.

One thing a swing blade doesn't do well is cut 12 inch wide poor quality wood. There is a great market here for junk wood - I kid you not. A piece 1x12 ten foot long is sold for 10 dollars over at the beaches. So, imagine cutting up cotton wood and getting a dollar a board foot.  :o

Not dried or anything either - cut it and sell it in a day. Amazing really. What has happened is that good wood is getting so scarce (and expensive) they are building most of the homes out of concrete - but unless you just want straight walls - that requires form wood - and so the price has shot up on form wood.

Adam, I will definitely keep you posted. Even in the best of situations, I figure this saw will be kept pretty busy half the week - perhaps more - once it hits 3/4 or more of the week - I order another.

crtreedude

Quote from: leweee on September 13, 2007, 09:50:34 AM
;D Congrats Fred.....from a fellow manual miller. 8)

I have to admit to feeling like a cheat - you see, labor is cheap enough here that there are plenty of people to move the logs, etc. We have a pretty good 4-whd tractor too. So, I decided against hydraulic for now for keeping it simple.

Besides, someone has to off load too you know. The truth is, after about a week or so, I assume I will be pushed to the side as the old relic...  ::)

ADAMINMO

Just let me know if you need anything.I'm always here to help with what I can ,when I can, if I can.I think you will be very happy with the mill.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

crtreedude

Quote from: ADAMINMO on September 13, 2007, 10:57:25 AM
Just let me know if you need anything.I'm always here to help with what I can ,when I can, if I can.I think you will be very happy with the mill.

You haven't convinced the boss to send you to Costa Rica to train people have you? The beaches are really nice down here...  :D

tcsmpsi

Good going, Fred.

I suspect some of your group will be quite excited with the new tool.  

Don't feel like a 'cheat'.  I'm sure there are plenty who need the work.

There's a fellow named Adam (quite a steak eater, I hear) who made mention of sending me information on one of Baker's similar products.  An 18HD, actually.  

Let me know if it got packed in your Costa Rica crate, would you, Fred?   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

ADAMINMO

My records show it was sent.(went out on 9/7/07)I'll make sure some goes out to you today.You can count on it. Sawmill stealin , Steak eatin fool !! digin_2

???How come there isn't a smiley that is running a sawmill???? I tried to find one.Maybe the boss can get us one to use.

OneWithWood

Fred,
Don't get too close to that mill.  Definately do not take the controls.

It can be addictive and I would hate to see your 'retirement' put on hold so quickly  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

crtreedude

What is this retirement you speak of? All I am doing is slowing down to 50 hours a week instead of 80+.  I plan on playing with the Sawmill when I can - it is better than off-loading, right?  8)

OneWithWood

Quote from: crtreedude on September 13, 2007, 12:37:45 PM
  I plan on playing with the Sawmill when I can - it is better than off-loading, right?  8)

That would be a correct statement.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

Hey Fred that's real good news. I predict losing weight is going to get alot easier in a couple of weeks. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

crtreedude

I suspect you will be right - starting Monday I am no longer stuck in the office but will be working in the field with everyone (might actually do some other things too) should be easy to lose weight.

ADAMINMO

I'd like to have a piece of that fancy wood ya'll got down there .I hear it makes nice furniture and shelves and such.Can't wait to see what all ya cut up down there.

crtreedude

There is some very nice stuff down here - get your boss to send you down and I will fill up your suitcases... ;)

ADAMINMO

Wish I could but it isn't in the agenda.Maybe someday I'll come down for a visit and vacation.Definately not in my budget right now.I will for sure look you up if I am ever in that area.

Thank You Sponsors!