iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

maine sawing

Started by beav39, February 22, 2008, 01:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beav39

how is everyone doing hear in maine this winter ?staying busy sawing.snow has really slowed things down in my neck of the woods !looking forward to spring time.this has been the slowest ive seen it in ten years ive been at it!
sawdust in the blood

lord_kenwolf

winter is always slow for us cause we don't saw in the winter. way too cold to saw. the only thing we do  is buy our logs for the summer in the winter cause thats when the farmers are able to get out and cut cedar. this has been the hardest we have ever had trying to get cedar tho.  no one wants to cut it this year since the local cedar fence plant closed down. they have no place to send their tops so they dont want to bother with it.  they are all cutting pine and other softwood. the thing is we saw 99.5% cedar. 

SwampDonkey

My woodlot is at the foot of Mars Hill, only in NB and there is a local fellow who cuts cedar in the winter only. He farms during the warm season. I've only seen one load of cedar delivered there this winter. He doesn't buy much cedar anyway. Most I seen has been 4 loads a winter. And it's never an all day operation. He pays a little more for cedar than anyone according to the specs I've seen. But your right it's hard to move cedar when you can't get rid of the rails. SWP is schut down up in Arthurette, I think it's part of St Stephen Fence, so they are down there I guess. So many people over harvest our cedar around here. I know getting into another topic. ::)

In my area, within 5 miles, as far as volume of wood cut, there has only been about 15 acres of woods cut here in 15 years. I won't be cutting for 25 years, if then. That's a long way off. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Aroostooksawyer

Four to five feet snow in woods up here in Aroostook county northern Maine.Other loggers with skidders having a real hard time.I log with a Rayco Crawler 6 way blade .I can get around well and use blade to find bottom of stump for a low cut (hate high stumps).I am cutting fir and spruce keeping saw logs for springtime sawing with the Woodmizer and tops and red  rot logs I sell to mill for Paper pulp.Was cutting aspen for LP mill but just got word they are not accepting  deliveries  till March 17 they say "very poor OSB sales and high raw material costs have resulted in the suspension of all OSB operations"Haven't got into swamp yet to cut some cedar may be bad year ground never froze (I mean the black muck)due to early large snow falls in December.Havin fun.

SwampDonkey

Five feet of snow!? Some one must have stretched my 3 foot tall spruce to 6 feet, cause they are still above the snow. ;D

Ok oK, I know it gets deeper in shaded softwoods. Not as deep in hardwoods though, or open plantation.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Aroostooksawyer

Yea Swamp talkin deep in woods mostly 4 ft.well over my waist but did measure a spot with a stick to bout 5'.We had a few storms where we were right in the high snow belt for example one storm 20" 30 miles north 8"

beav39

aroostook sawyer,i hear ya on the snow it is as deep as i can remember for a long time   where do you send your pulp up that way?
sawdust in the blood

moonhill

Yea, no frost in the ground I keep plowing up dirt.  But plenty of frost in the roads.  I don't like going to town with the plow on, its wicked rough.  I think the loggers here in Washington county have had a good winter.  Not like in the past years with warm spells where the frost goes out of the winter roads, MUCK, in the middle of the winter.  I have some sawing to do and am stocking the logs for my next jobs through the summer.  I don't like dirty logs, winter is the time to get them.  I like sawing in the winter it's better than the heat of summer.  Tim B. 
This is a test, please stand by...

Aroostooksawyer

Yea Beav39 trucker takes pulp to local wood buying yard for me.Then probably sold to Millinocket or Lincoln mill not sure.

bandmiller2

Sometimes when its real cold or deep snow a fellers time is better spent in a heated shop working on his equipment.Of course thats easy for a flatlander to say that doesn't earn all his beans from the woods.Cheer up it'l soon be mud and blackfly season,mayby the cold is not so bad.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moonhill

Looking forward to those Blackflies.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

bandmiller2

Have any of you guys ever tried Vicks vapo rub for a repellant??I worked in the woods with a old frenchman he had a gallon jug of vicks in the truck you grab a handfull rub it on if you can stand the stink,critters get about 1 ft. away and make a "U" turn.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cedarman

Being that we compete to a small degree with northern white cedar, I was wondering why the big slowdown with the fencing companies in the northeast.

You got snow, we got major mud.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!