iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check my math!

Started by fromrfarm, December 27, 2023, 06:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromrfarm

Good evening all. First I hope everyone has had a wonderful christmas break and will have a great New Year. I really appreciate all the information on here and the help I have received.

Project. Old barn adding strengthening and supports for second floor.

I am slowly working on my old barn. It was an early 1800's timber frame which had the roof torn off and expanded in the 1940/1950's.

I am currently almost finished the main floor, which I have torn out and added proper joists for supporting the main level as well as added in more 8x8 posts in the basement to support the main floor as well as carry through to the 2nd floor. It is a big of a mess of how they did the renos in the 40/50s but hey it has withstood so many hurricanes I am not going to complain too much ;)

Note: anyone who wants to respond that I need to have an engineer give me plans and such, although I appreciate the sentiment, that is not the route I am taking and all the advice I get is not taken as gospel and will hold no one accountable for my work but myself. I am not concerned about it. The reason for my posting here is to continue to learn more and understand my math calcs.

Books I use:
Steve Chappell : A Timber Framers Workshop
Ted Bensons: Building the Timber Frame House
and a few others.

Question:

The barn has three bays across the width. The bay under discussion is 12' wide x 16' long. It had five 16' logs holding up the entire floor of which the largest is 7" at the butt end. Hardly acceptable for hay or general storage.

I am adding basically an addition bent: 8x8 posts(Spruce and Hemlock) and want a clear 12' span. With a 110 psf load calculation: based on general storage and hay (small square bales at 50lbs a bale at 10 high 4x2x2' bales)

Basically I am after the beam size I need to span that 12' (spruce #1). I have used Uniformly Loaded Simple Beam(thanks Don!) and I get a pass across the board at 8"x13" for spruce #2. Now, I am using 16' 3"x6" joists resting on this running along the length of the barn so this beam supports all of those at the midpoint of the 16' joist span.

The calculation I did for those indicates that they would also pass given 12" centers.

(Also did the calcs based on the formula in Tedd's book to double check)

The finish on the top will be likely 2" planks followed by plywood or 3/4" t&g hemlock. All of which I do realize adds further carrying capacity but I am erring on the side of caution and ignore that other than for the dead load considerations.

Question 1: Does anyone see any issue with the beam size?
Question 2: Does anyone see any issue with the joist size?

Don P

Double check beam A, you have 10,150 lbs entered in the calc and called out 10,500 lbs load, not much different but it looks close.

fromrfarm

Thanks Don.. yes it is but passes with a margin.. was playing the number in the cal and the manual formula in Tedd's book when I took the screenshot!

Don P

Good deal.
One caution, the explanations in that book are great... but use the design values from the NDS, I remember something wasn't right there.

fromrfarm

OK I will double check the NDS vs the book. Everything still passed and was very similar to the calc. Thanks again for the feedback!

Thank You Sponsors!