iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser Upgrade for WM

Started by Norm, September 27, 2004, 02:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Has anyone retrofited their WM mill with a Laser? If so how hard was it to add on and a ballpark figure for what it set you back. My mill is stationary in a three sided shed so the sun really isn't a problem with wash out. Also anyone who ordered it with their mill how well is it working out for you.

BBTom

I have gotten so used to having it, that when there is a problem with it, I have trouble sawing.  It eliminates most of the walking back and forth to measure.  The hookup is super simple, just one wire to power.  The mount is not bad on my super.  They set you back a bunch, and if you didn't need the bracket that woodmizer makes, you could get it for a bit less from cemar electro.  WM uses the 15 mw laser and cemar has one with 30 mw that is much more visible in bright light, for about $100 more than the 15 mw.  I think WM is looking for about 1200 clams for the laser and bracket.

I cannot say much for cemar electro's service, even though they claim 48 hr turnaround. They have had one of mine in there since the 17th and haven't even called with an estimate.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Norm

Thanks Tom, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. My eyesight isn't getting any better with age and I'm finding that when I start a new cut the first board I always cut a little on the heavy side, that and I'd like to be able to make my slabs a little more uniform.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ElectricAl

Norm,

We added a WM Lazer about a year ago.

It has saved a bunch of time, so eventually it will pay for it's self.

Install was fairly easy and will hold adjustment as long as you don't bump it while changing blades.

I added an aluminum splatter guard to keep the connections clean and rust free.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

BBTom

Just a note that an email I sent to Cemar electro got them moving and they have apologized, promised a fast repair and upgrade of my 15 mw to a 30 mw, and have given me a big discount to make up for their mishandling of the job.  

I like it when a company says ooops, we goofed, instead of making excuses.  Then they try to do right by me.  So this post is to recant my questioning of their integrity in my earlier post.

I give a thumbs up to Cemar Electro!!  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Gilman

Just dug out an old laser out of my closet. 2450 VDC @ 6.5 MA. 16 Watts! That should do the trick.  Now I just have to find its beam splitter and order an inverter.  Hmmm... where would I have put it so I wouldn't loose it?

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

music_boy

BB tom
      Can you give some more details on how you mounted it,, pics maybe ;) Hows that moving dot work? How much it set you back?
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

BBTom

Music,
Mine came with my mill, but I have installed them on other mills.  Woodmizer makes a real nice mount, though if you can weld a bit, you could make your own pretty easy. They use the four bolts on the bottom inside sliding pad, and it wraps around the post of the tower so it is less likely to get knocked out by broken blades or flying debris. Norm's picture above shows you the mount that woodmizer provides.    Cemar Electro sells the lasers for about $800 - $900( going from memory).  http://cemarelectro.com
Give them a call and ask for the price of a CL-830.  That is a 30 mw line laser,  the ones that come on the misers are 15 mw (CL-815) but if you intend to use it outside then the 830 is quite a bit brighter. These are line lasers, not moving dot.  (I know someone will say that technically they are a moving dot, but it moves so dang fast that all you see is a line.)
electric hookup is as simple as connecting the red wire to something with 12 volts on it, and the green wire to ground.

It seems like alot of money to spend, but once you get used to running with it, you wonder how you ever got along without it.  

Thank You Sponsors!