iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Poverty Meal?

Started by No_Dude, August 07, 2018, 12:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

Most of my food is poverty food. Due mainly to laziness, and simple tastes, but I've had spots of being poor in the past. Legitimate poverty was cutting the mold off anything that's even nominally salvageable, and fishing the moth larvae out of my grains. Pseudo poverty is grilled cheese, and canned soup. One of my favorite meals. Extra sharp cheddar, seeded rye, and either tomato or French onion soup. I'll take that over a steak any day of the week  :^)

No_Dude

Quote from: PA_Walnut on August 08, 2018, 07:23:26 AM
Surely, a pasty must be on this list!  :-X
(my mother, being a Yupper, loved these things. Me....not so much)
Whats a pasty? Maybe it's just my area are what are used to keep uh.... women from poking when its cold.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: No_Dude on August 08, 2018, 07:16:23 PMWhats a pasty?
We have a '49er mining town a little ways north of me (Grass Valley/Nevada City (aka The Pondarosa)).  The hard rock miners were mostly Welsh and that was a traditional food they brought with them.  Several restaurants use to serve Pastys - a quick search did not find them on any menus. :-\  They are a mainly-potato, maybe some ground meat of some sort, onions and ? wrapped in a flaky pie-type crust - baked to perfection.  Not astounding flavor but very much comfort food especially on a cold day.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

The Welsh miner's tradition for pastys was to only handle the rolled up crust part because of three toxic material they were handling. The crust was then thrown down the mine as an offering of some sort. In some parts of the country rutabeggers are involved. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Pinto Beans and fried Bologna.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

No_Dude

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 08, 2018, 07:32:33 PM
We have a '49er mining town a little ways north of me (Grass Valley/Nevada City (aka The Pondarosa)).  The hard rock miners were mostly Welsh and that was a traditional food they brought with them.  Several restaurants use to serve Pastys - a quick search did not find them on any menus. :-\  They are a mainly-potato, maybe some ground meat of some sort, onions and ? wrapped in a flaky pie-type crust - baked to perfection.  Not astounding flavor but very much comfort food especially on a cold day.
Sounds kind of like a pot pie in hot pocket form :)

WV Sawmiller

David,

I never heard of Pinto beans as a main course till I moved to WV. Brown beans and cornbread is often served as a meal here even in the school lunch rooms. In N. Fla where I grew up Pinto beans were something you bought to put in your chili when the grocery store ran out of Kidney beans.

There is not a big selection of peas and beans here - typically 4-5 kinds in our local grocery stores while in Charlotte, 200 miles south of here, we typically find 15-20 kinds or more. Around here you can find Pinto beans in 50-100 lb bags. Even Wal Mart has them out for bulk sales.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

A beef Pasty with a bowl of gravy on the left.

A chicken Pasty with gravy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

No_Dude

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2018, 08:32:42 PM

A beef Pasty with a bowl of gravy on the left.

A chicken Pasty with gravy.
Man I can get down with that

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: No_Dude on August 08, 2018, 08:09:32 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 08, 2018, 07:32:33 PM
Sounds kind of like a pot pie in hot pocket form :)
Except the potato is mashed - more like a to-go Shepard's Pie.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bigred1951

My poverty meals included fried bread with a little salt and pepper. Sometimes them little $1 pack of noodles and I'll tell on my self it's odd but I love it. I'll take a couple thick slices of Kentucky border bologna and take lays chips and put on the bologna and roll it up like a burrito and eat it just like that for a quick snack.

Chuck White

Sometimes a "hard fried" egg samich on toast will get me by!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

I'm not sure if I have any good poverty meals of my own, but my Grandpa told me when they were kids (they were dirt poor) they used to have lard sandwiches- and they thought they were good!
Too many irons in the fire

DDW_OR

when i went to DeVry in Phoenix in 1991 & 1992 i had $20 for food for the month.
basic meal, top ramen noodles + 4 oz of tomato sauce.
Noodles on sale 12 for $1, once in a while 15 for $1
8 oz tomato sauce = 10 for $1

once in a while i would throw in 1/4 cup frozen mix veggies
$0.25 to 0.50
and sometimes the CHEAP hotdogs or meatballs.

I learned at a young age to stock up when something is on sale
"let the machines do the work"

olcowhand

My mom would make Mac & Cheese with cut up Hot Dogs or Ground Beef mixed in. Served with home made Garlic/ Texas Toast.
I always enjoyed having Chicken Gizzards on noodles.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Novascotiamill

Lobster sandwiches all the time near eveyday wrapped in newspaper and taken to school for lunch. Fed them to the dog that hung around thevschool yard . You got teased alot for havin lobster sandwiches , it was the real poverty poor mans food that and parsnips back then!
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

thecfarm

Lobster sandwiches. :D  Poor man food. Seem like I read that. They are a "ground" feeders,like a suckers. Low on the list of good things to eat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: No_Dude on August 08, 2018, 07:16:23 PM
Quote from: PA_Walnut on August 08, 2018, 07:23:26 AM
Surely, a pasty must be on this list!  :-X
(my mother, being a Yupper, loved these things. Me....not so much)
Whats a pasty? Maybe it's just my area are what are used to keep uh.... women from poking when its cold.
HAHAHAHAHA!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

As I remember it was often included in Indentured servants contracts in New England that they promised not to feed them lobster more that twice a week.

Kind of like treatment of African slaves giving them the ribs and shoulders and such off the pig. They figured how to make slow cooked BBQ to make it tender and edible and the owners found out how good it was and they started keeping it for themselves.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Regular barn pigeons have more meaty breasts than most people would believe and with a small fishing net taped to a long pole they are easy to catch at night.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

No_Dude

Quote from: gspren on August 09, 2018, 01:00:22 PM
Regular barn pigeons have more meaty breasts than most people would believe and with a small fishing net taped to a long pole they are easy to catch at night.
How do they taste

Hilltop366

I'v heard the generation before me talk about being embarrassed about having to take lobster sandwiches on homemade bread to school, if they had the chance the would trade up to bologna sandwiches with store bought bread. 

Apparently it was not uncommon to put lobster in the garden as fertilizer, some still do but use culls from the lobster pound.

BradMarks

Roxie's meal, except in our house it was called SOS (military term).  It was actually THE weekend meal.

Raider Bill

Quote from: No_Dude on August 09, 2018, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: gspren on August 09, 2018, 01:00:22 PM
How do they taste
Taste like chicken
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!