iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gold Mine!

Started by Kirk_Allen, October 26, 2003, 04:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

:) I struck Gold today 8)

I finally was able to contact the owner of a recent clear cut.  Tracked him down like a hound ;)  He was in Florida for the winter.

The clear cut was full of Cherry trees and White Oak.  Although they are all piled up in several log piles, I was given permission to take all that I want.

After a short review of each pile it looks like there is close to 5,000 BF of Cherry and probably 7-8,000 of Oak.

Not a bad score since its only 2 blocks from my house!

Time to get the Husky blades ready and start my work!

Looking forward to making my WM generate saw dust!

Sorry for the Gloat 8) but Im totally pumped about all the free wood!

Jeff

Welcome to the forum! Thats the way to jump in there, make em all green with envy. ;)

I say its good to gloat. Have fun!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gus

Shoot, ya' gotta get a ` one up' once in awhile!  8)
Way to go. ;D

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

sawwood

Welcome Kirtallen to a great place, Have learned at lot
 from the guys here. Wow that was a find and happy cutting.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

L. Wakefield

I believe the technical term I have heard from time to time is 'lucky dog'   :D :D :D

Good for you to recognize the opportunity and get right on it!   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Dugsaws

Glad to see someone gets a break once in a while, and happy to see it is someone from the forum instead of the big logging companies, nice way to welcome you to the forum, wish ya luck
Doug

Frank_Pender

Welcome a board, Kirk. ;D  It is always good to see logs not go to waste or chips when they can be used for good. 8)   Let us know how youcome out the the sawing of your "gold mine".
Frank Pender

Tom

Welcome to Forum that's good news.  Take pictures and make posts so we can see you "getting rich". :D

RavioliKid

Good goin', Kirk! Don't you just love free stuff?

And, welcome to the forum!

8)
RavioliKid

Kirk_Allen

Well, day 1 of cutting these awsome cherries out of the pile was interesting to say the least.  I hope to post photos tomorrow night.

First log took me almost 4 hours to get.  Turns out it was 42 feet long with a base of 38 inches.  At the other end it measured 14 inches.  

Second log wasnt as hard to get.  Someone cut the top off of this one though and left the base.  Little did they know that is the best part. This one was 40 inches at the base, 12 foot long and 34 inches at the other end.  

I didnt realize it would take me so long to pull them out so tomorrow I will cut these logs into lumber and trailer them to safety ;D

I have a 9,000lbs Warn winch on the front of my Suburban that I am using to pull them out.  Boy do I wish I had a tractor about now.  I used my Dads Model M downstate to pull a bunch of trees out of a creek and I must say, although the old tractor is 60+ years old, it outperforms my winch with ease.

Oh well, NO COMPLAINTS!  FREE WOOD IS ALWAYS WORTH THE EFFORT.

Ill keep you all updated with some photos......provided I can figure out that process ???

Kirk_Allen

I have been blessed!  I cut up one tree today that yeilded over 1200 BF of the most clear and perfect cherry I have cut to date.  

Note the glove on the back of the stump base.  It measured 38" across......44" if measured at the farthest point but for the most part it was 38".

The cherry log on the mill was the last log from the top of the tree. Most were bucked to 8 feet long but this one is just over 4 foot long.  It was the last straight section.

OK, Can someone tell me how to shrink a photo so that it will upload on this sight?  I have a low resolution 300K sony digital camcorder with a built in camera option.  

Thanks

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

Kirk_Allen

Kirk_Allen

Hey Jeff, Thanks for the help on the photo stuff!

I appreciate it very much!

Kirk

DanG

Hey Kirk! That's a nice looking chunk of cherry. Looks like you did stumble into the Mother Lode! 8) 8)  You just get into this sawing thing, or been at it a while?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kirk_Allen

About 4 years ago I started looking for a mill so that I could cut timber from my grandparents land to build a Timber Frame home.  (I take "do it yourself" to a whole new level).

After finding out the price I set my goals on paying cash (I HATE DEBT) and hoped to have it in two -three years.

Then I found out that our Military rep had purchased an LT40HDG25 and was done with it (cut his cedar for a house in UP-MI and was looking to sell it.

It was a 2000 model with 50 hours on it.  I picked it up in July of 2001.  After the first log, I was hooked.

I build furniture and cabinets on the side and from that I have found that even though I was done cutting timber from my Gandparents land I had to keep the mill for my own projects.  

I have been doing custom on site cutting for right at two years now and plan on upgrading to the Super LT40 with the Cat diesal next year from the extra cash I made cutting for others.

Lets just say its currently a hobby I do on the side that is starting to take a life of its own.

DanG

So, what you're saying is,......YOU'RE HOOKED?  ;D  :D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kirk_Allen

Kirk_Allen

Need some advice please!

After spending another day of cutting cherry out of the same pile I have discovered two more cherry trees at the bottom of the pile.  Although not as big as the others, they are perfectly straight for the first 17 feet from the base.  Each tree is 28" diameter at the base.

What is the best sizes to cut this into for the purpose of selling it.  

The tree I cut yesterday filled my trailer and I cant imagine every using all of that for my own projects so I plan on selling most of this but want to make sure I get the most out of it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kirk

beenthere

I'd suggest 8' plus some trim (6" ?). Easy to handle, and the lumber is easy to pile for drying on stickers. Easy to load into a pickup bed, and unless making something longer than 8', easy to cut up into cabinet and furniture cuttings. However, if there is a place in the log that has a crook or bend, then consider shorter lengths for the logs.

Nothing much is made from long hardwood boards, other than waste material. (IMO) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Those are some nice cherry logs Kirk. I would buck em at 8' 4" in case you get some end splits. Cherry seems prone to splitting. If you haven't already some anchor seal really helps prevent that. As far as thickness I would cut most at 4/4 and some at 6/4 and 8/4. This is a good time of year to be sawing as the cool weather slows down the drying.

Tom

I can give you "any" input :D   Might not be the best for your area.

I cut all hardwoods that are not special order 8'-10'+4"-6" for end trim.  I try to stay on 2 foot centers only so that the stacks are even but most folks that use cabinet wood don't care if it is odd widths or odd lengths.

The reason behind the 8-10 feet is that the people who want this wood usually come in a pickup truck and 10' makes a comfortable load.

If they need to carry it to a kiln or planer mill or whatever, it is within their capabilities.

Cabinet makers are always cutting bits and pieces out of most of the boards anyway.  Solid, clear boards of 10' go to bookcase ends, shelving, table tops, etc.

Cabinet makers who I saw for always tell me later that they forgot to get some 8 quarter. It is nice to have some of that but the most I would cut an inch and an eighth and offer as 4/4.

Generally those that ask for 4 x 4 stock, with the idea of turning it on a lathe, are better off gluing something up.  You might try some 4 x 4 but I think you will find that it will check pretty bad and warp enough that lathe work would be difficult.

woodmills1

The only time I cut anything nice less than 8'+4" or more is if I know it will make stair treads.  That is a large log that will cut a lot of over 10" wide I might cut the log at 40-48" and then saw it in 5 or 6 quarter stock, knowing that in the future someone will ask for some stair treads.  Most stair treads need to finish at 10 1/4 with the nosing so I will blank up 11 or 12 inch stuff cut so as to finish plane to a full one inch or over. Now ifin youa been following I have the pallet thing so 48" junk now becomes another story. 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kirk_Allen

Thanks for all the input.  I have put Anchorseal on all the exposed ends and will finish pulling these logs out next week.  

Whats the going rate for Cherry?

Anyone ever hear of Curly Cherry?  I have about 10 boards that when you look at them have the curliest grain you can imagine.  (I think I will keep those ;))

Thanks again,
Kirk

Thank You Sponsors!