iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bad idea?

Started by tmills, April 07, 2013, 07:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmills

hey guys  new member so i need some advice. every time i am out cutting firewood i'm thinking what a waste to be cutting up these nice logs for firewood. if i had a sawmill i could be making lumber and just burn the tops.lots of dead ash in my area, and i've got the ok from the wife to by a small mill [thinking lt10] would appreciate some advice. also anyone in lower michigan that could demo there mill? thanks   

ladylake

LT10 will work but a LT15 is a lot more mill.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

The LT15 with the 25 HP engine is a great set-up.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

tmills,welcome to the forum. How many acres you have? Should be trees that won't make lumber too. What's all the lumber going to be used for?
By the way,how can buying a sawmill be a bad idea??    ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

taylorsmissbeehaven

I will vote for the LT 15 as well. I love mine. Not only is it a great way to spend an afternoon but you have lumber to show for it. I say jump right in. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Magicman

Hello    tmills, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  There will always be bigger and more bells and whistles, but depending upon your needs, an LT10 may fit you nicely.  Surely someone close to you will volunteer to let you do a hands on.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Hi Tmills,   The LT10 does pretty work.  If you can afford it go a step higher with the LT15.  And if you can really afford it get a mill with hydraulics.  Hope you can find a demo somewhere and good luck.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Tmills. Good plan on wanting to demo one first, for any mill. I'd figure on how much you plan to use it and what you plan on sawing and go from there.
Allan

dgdrls

tmills welcome to the FF.
Only bad Idea would be to not get one  :D.
take a close look at the builders to the left side of the board.
may want to look for used also, you can get more mill for less $$$

I had  an LT 10 dandy little mill. search the threads on those here
and other builders noted.

I will say, get more than you think you really need,  you will not regret it

DGDrls

Papa1stuff

Welcome to the FF tmills agreat place to be ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

stanwelch

tmills -- welcome to this site.  Not sure where in Southern Michigan you are located, but you are welcome to visit my operation.  I have an LT15 located in South central Michigan

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

dboyt

Tmills, welcome to the forum.  The folks here are great and advice is always free and friendly.  I agree, it is a shame for good sawlogs to be cut up for firewood.  There are a lot of small mills out there, and the sponsors of this forum are a great way to start.  Most keep a list of customers around the country (or around the world) that are willing to demo their mills, if you just call or email them.  I've gone with the Norwood mill and never regretted it.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Don't forget about support equipment (cant hooks, more chain saws, flatbed trailer, etc.)
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

tmills

wow thanks for all the advice guys! not sure i can convince my wife into 3 grand more for the lt15 but it makes sense. also what a great offer from Stan to come visit his operation, he is only 1 1/2 away. would also like to see some pictures of some of your mill houses for ideas. once again what a great bunch of guys to get to know.   thanks

hackberry jake

Just cut some 6x6s and set them and cut a beam for the opening

Put up rafters, lath, tin, and make some openable windows. And you have a shed.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tmills.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

5quarter

Tmills...I'm not really qualified to weigh in here, but that's never stopped me before.  ;) Buy as much mill as you can manage. Bigger mills can do the work of any smaller mill, but the reverse is seldom true. If you're set on WM, the lt15 is alot of mill for the $$. Otherwise, shop around. As others have said, the sponsors on the left side of your screen are the best of the best. Also, dig into the used market. many members here have found some stunning deals with a little research and persistence. good luck and welcome aboard.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Solomon

I agree with Magic Man.  The smaller mill may suit your needs nicely.
Shop around and as another member stated " look at some used mills"   And yes go see one run and if possable, jump in there and do the work for a while and see if it is something you really want to do.
You may just get the itch or you may say screw this s#%&.
I can tell you that a small manual mill such as you seem interested in, is a lot of work and very taxing on your body.   Are you young strong and in decent physical condition.
I have a pretty good size hydraulic mil with bells and whistles and it is a lot of work.  (for my off bearers anyway)  I try to stick to pulling the levers!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!