iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor winch with remote, question

Started by 47sawdust, January 25, 2018, 04:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

Anybody have experience using a tractor winch with a remote control.I'm thinking of trading my Tajfun egv35 for the next size up with a remote.It is a chunk of change but I'm not getting any younger.

Thanks for your input.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Walking back and forth keeps ya young.  :D
For the most part,I don't think it would help me. BUT if I get cutting that bog off again.... I did some walking that winter.  :o  ::)  I pulled the cable out 150 feet of cable,than hooked up another 100 feet of cable of cable,winch that in,than unhook and pull out 150 cable again,winch in,every time I winched in would be a walk back to the tractor. After a few twicthes in the same place,the walking back got easier,due to the packed down snow,but not shorter.   ;D
I say,buy it. We have worked our whole life,why make it harder on us in our later years of life.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

I have worked with remote controlled Winches back in Switzerland, you will absolutely love it!
You save so much time and effort not have to walk back and forth.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

g_man

If you get it let us know. I have been wondering for a long time if a remote would help much. Seems like you have to walk back to the tractor anyway and I like being near the tractor to sense what is going with it and the line tension. But then I guess maybe you would develop a new system to take advantage of the remote. When I first started with the winch there was more walking back and forth to nurse the log along, away from or out of snags and rehooking chokers, but not so much now. When I used plain snatch blocks a remote would really help and eliminate the back and forth walks to the snatch block but a self releasing block solved that.
People say they are great. They probably are. Maybe I am to stuck in my ways. It would be a hard decision for me to make getting a remote.

gg

teakwood

Remote is King! Believe me that

There is just one big problem, actually two: They are expensive and there has been some tractors laying sideways when the operator finally get an eye on the machine.
Always put the line pulling fairly straight
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

lopet

Or when your neighbor has the same outfit and works close by, try not to use the same radio frequency.  :o  That probably won't happen with today's technology, but the early ones definitely had some issues.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

DMcCoy

Would it have remote control of the free spooling not just in/out?

chubby

Quote from: teakwood on January 26, 2018, 06:46:33 PM
Remote is King! Believe me that

There is just one big problem, actually two: They are expensive and there has been some tractors laying sideways when the operator finally get an eye on the machine.
Always put the line pulling fairly straight

The KRPAN winches have an optional angle sensor that kills the winch when the angle of the tractor gets too high. It's only like 300$ more. A lot less than repairing a tractor that's been flipped.
On a common rail fuel system you can even start the tractor, start the pto if it's electrically controlled, control the throttle and the hydraulic outfeed pulley.

47sawdust

Thanks for your replies.The cost to upgrade to a remote winch is too big a gulp for me to justify.As Cfarm says,the exercise is good for me.It is very easy to get soft sitting in the comfort of my Lazyboy and visiting with my forum friends.

Back to work sluggo!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I didn't mean it.  ;D 
If I had the money, I would not be walking as much.
Kinda like a lot of things that I buy,makes things so much easier and then I kick myself for not buying it sooner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!