iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just bought a woodmaster 718 with propack... brand new 1996 model

Started by hackberry jake, August 12, 2011, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Looked high and low for a used woodmaster planer/Moulder. Finally found on on cl. This guys dad bought a 718 with propack right before he passed away. He said his dad had big plans for it. After his father passed away, the machine had just been sitting in his shop for 15 YEARS! Motor hasn't even been installed yet. Pulled out a brush on the dc feed motor, brand new. Crazy. The rip blades are still in the packages and all. Velcrow hasn't been stuck to drum yet etc. Had to drive a ways to pick it up, but well worth it.in my opinion. A few questions... 1) have they changed the design of anything over the years? 2) I've seen dark gray, blue, and off-white colored machines. Can color be an indication of age? Mines the dark gray. 3) id like to make log siding out of white oak. Should I buy the carbide knives ($2000)? I'm just tickled with my purchase. Thanks for your time.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pineywoods

That old, you probably didn't get the plastic bed overlay. It's a big sheet of thick slippery plastic. Get it. Otherwise you will have feed problems and chewed up feed rollers. Probably got the 5 hp motor. Making log siding out of white oak, thats gonna be slow. If you are just making siding for your own use, I'd stick with the steel knives, check around for somebody to sharpen them. Good buy, good solid machine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

BandsawWarrior

wow 2k for log cabin knives...I'd don't think I could spend that much on a set of knives if you don't have a way to sharpen them.  One knick away from not being able to use them.  For that price you could buy one of those Veil profile grinders and make your own knives.  That way you can touch them up when they get dull or chipped.  Just a thought. 

I know some places sell knives that are roughed out and then you can finish profiling them.  That saves you money and time in that you don't have as much material to remove.

Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

sawwood

Jake i have the 18" woodmaster also. The bed board that came with the planer wore
out soon after i bought it. I guess all that rough lumber did it in. So I bought a 1" thick
MDF board and some formica and made my bedboard. I used the old bedboard to cut
the slots in the new one and it works good. I did put the formica on both sides. I also
bought the selfadjusting out feed table and sprial head cutter and has been money will
spent. As for the log cabin knives you will need to use the planer head as the knives
are longer then the moulding head. As the outher say go slow and take small cuts. If
you need help call Mark Redman at Woodmaster and he can give you the info you need.
I have some photos in my Gallery of the out feed table and spiral head cutter.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

DR Buck

Get the add-on in/out feed tables.   Expensive, but a worthwhile time and agravation saver.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!