iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chain Saw

Started by Daver, August 06, 2014, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daver

Hi At present I have a Toy-built, I mean Troy-Bilt  chain saw.. It has been falling apart in the short time I have used it.. It's time for an upgrade.. I was considering either a Poulsan Pro 20" (heavy) or a Echo 18" both at Home Depot.. But if say Tractor supply has better I might go there... Any ideas guys? Looking to spend around $250..
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

ladylake

Get a CS400 , it won't fall apart plus it handle great, is light, starts great and parts are reasonable.  The only downside is that the limiter caps have too be pulled too make sure it's not too lean.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Daver

Will certainly consider that one.. I also saw a Jonsered CS 2255 a 20" at $349  I may spring for this.. It looks good.. good reviews etc..

mad murdock

Certainly won't go wrong with a swede saw either.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Andyshine77

Quote from: mad murdock on August 06, 2014, 12:40:39 PM
Certainly won't go wrong with a swede saw either.

The echo CS590 Timberwoulf is the best value and bang for the buck. Sure it has a little weight, but it has a mag case and is the only real saw you can buy for $400.00 or less.
Andre.

celliott

Quote from: Daver on August 06, 2014, 12:32:34 PM
Will certainly consider that one.. I also saw a Jonsered CS 2255 a 20" at $349  I may spring for this.. It looks good.. good reviews etc..

That's a cheaply made Jonsered\Husqvarna product. They do sell alot of them though.
I have a 2255 in pieces on my bench right now, got it for free. Piston was scored and had a hole knocked in it, the crank bearings were shot- plastic bearing cage broke\melted. All this could be due to getting straight gassed and abused, but just from taking it apart, I'm not impressed by it. Single bar stud into plastic, the AV springs seem pretty soft, etc. etc. And i'm a husky\jonsered fan. I also have an older husky 55 on the bench, the predecessor to the 455 rancher\2255, and it's a good rugged saw. I'll have a much easier time fixing that one.
If it was me, I'd get the Echo. I've never had one apart, but from what I hear they are a solid constructed saw, with a split magnesium case. The CS400 or spring for the CS590 timberwolf like andy and ladylake said. Definitely echo 590 over the 2255.
All just my opinion though  ;D Everyone has one  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Daver

I tend to agree Chris.. Thanks for your input. It great to get all these experienced recommendations. Thanks Guys!

John Mc

Daver -

There is a good bit of difference in a CS400 and a CS590.  Tell us a bit about what you are cutting, and how often, and people may be able to refine their recommendations a bit.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Daver

Basically mostly fallen trees, cutting them up.. But I would also like to be able to handle cutting up bigger trees after they fall from storms, etc. 

John Mc

What do you consider "bigger trees"?

For example, I cut mostly hardwoods (oak, beech, maple, etc). 90% of what I cut is in the 6"-15" diameter range.  I generally tend towards lighter saws: a 50 or 60 cc powerhead with a 16" bar.  I do have a 20" bar that fits these saws, but only use it if I know I'm going to be cutting mainly greater than 16" diameter logs. Otherwise, I'll keep the 16" bar on and just cut from both sides when I run into the occasional larger tree.

The big box stores seem to love to put a big bar on a small saw (I guess they think people will figure it's a "better" saw if it comes with a larger bar). IMO, 18" is too much for a 40cc saw, and 20" is too much for a 50 cc saw. Yes, it may work, but it's not the best match.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Daver

Yeah I see your point.. The trees vary I have cut 25" in diameter trees with my old toy-built... That has 18" bar.. I was thinking a 20" bar would work good..

beenthere

QuoteI was thinking a 20" bar would work good..

They do work good, on a 60cc saw.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

I looked at Home Depot online to see if I could figure out what saws you were considering.

Personally, I would stay away form the Poulin Pro 20".  IMO, 20" is too long for a 50 cc saw. You can do it, but it will take a lot of patience. Also, 15.4 pounds is way too heavy for a 50cc saw. 

The 18" Echo is a better choice. Home Depot sells both the CS-400 ($299) and the CS-450  ($379) with an 18" bar. If you were choosing between one of these two, and set on an 18" bar, I'd go with the CS 450 (a 45cc saw - still a bit small for an 18" bar, IMO, but it's a decent saw, and you can always change bars later if you want).

If you are considering the Echo CS-450, you might also want to consider the Husqvarna 450. It's a mid-level saw, 50cc engine, and good power-to-weight ratio. I've always felt this was one of the better choices in their 400-series saws. (Husky also makes a 455 and 460, but IMO, they add a lot of wieght for not much more power.) Husky makes higher-end saws, but they're going to cost a whole lot more money.

What ever you go with, I'd urge you to look round at sellers other than the big box stores. If you want to get the best life out of your saws, having a good dealer who can service the saw and knows what he is doing is a major consideration.

Daver

Hi John, Yeah I ruled out the Poulan.. felt built good but many said they didn't like it.. Homelite Nah, Dad had one was fixing it all the time.. I was considering the CS400 but then I saw the CS590 I am just wondering if the 20lb saw is good or is it bad.. I would imagine the weight might help in cutting since gravity would help.. It's just any elevated cuts which would be more work.. True? I figure if I am going to spend $300, then $400 is not much more for a pro like saw.. It seems many like the CS590..  I would have to find a service person later.. But I am pretty mechanical I am good at taking things apart and putting them back together.. It's just about getting parts.. I am the kind of person who don't like regretting I didn't get the better item later.. Have you ever handled the CS590? Is it too much or would it be good?  Thanks..

Mooseherder

I bought a CS590 a month ago to replace my MS280 that died on me halfway thru a downed tree and then wouldn't restart.   It feels like the same weight to me but has a lot more power.  I didn't have time to wait for anyone to repair a saw that shouldn't be broken when there is work to be done in a limited timeframe.  Since then I've found out that the 280 isn't worth fixing so I'm glad I didnt waste time on it.  I use a ms170 for branches.  Hopefully it'll last longer than the other ms.

Daver

Sadly I just called a local smaller dealer for the CS590 and they wanted $50 more than HD.. That's why we go to HD.. I don't want to but man they don't even try to compete..

Mooseherder

Well worth the 50 dollars.

beenthere

Try to go back to HD for some help with tuning, or minor adjustment, or even to talk with someone who has any knowledge about a chainsaw. Hope you won't have to, but I try to keep my local Stihl dealer in business so he is there when I need that bit of help.  And it is rare, but great to have him when needed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daver

Well Just purchased the CS590 online.. I can always go to the local guy later for repairs IF I have to.. Anyway thanks guys your input was very much appreciated.. It helped alot..

JohnG28

If you go back a page or two Andyshine77 did a whole thread on the cs590. He has some good videos in there you should check out. Enjoy the new saw.  8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ladylake

I stay away from overpriced dealers($60 to $100 a hour), it's way better to learn how to tune and repair yourself and Andyshine's vid is a good place too start .     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

As this thread mainly is about cheaply made crap, I don't really have any specific opinion - apart from just that.
Believing that cheap saws are "just as good" as more expensive ones seldom works well, even though many people want them to.

Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on August 08, 2014, 11:59:39 PM
As this thread mainly is about cheaply made crap, I don't really have any specific opinion - apart from just that.
Believing that cheap saws are "just as good" as more expensive ones seldom works well, even though many people want them to.
Well said Niko.
But I have to add with my experiences giving advice to homeowner customers that I do work for, as much as I see they use a saw for.....a cheap consumer saw would last them a lifetime.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Andyshine77

Quote from: SawTroll on August 08, 2014, 11:59:39 PM

I would rather have a Echo CS 590 than an unreliable 562, or any of the other AutoTune saws Huaky has on the market right now. I can also tell you the Echo is better built and easier to work on, with an overall cleaner design. The CS 590 performs better than you're beloved MS361, which is a saw I never warmed up to. Specifications sometimes don't mean much in the real world. Niko if you ever got out there and start using and working on and with some of the tools you speak negatively about. You may just change your tune a little.
Andre.

HolmenTree

Bean counters seem to come into my mind all of a sudden   :D
Sorry Niko ;D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!