iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Mill Death

Started by chet, December 08, 2004, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

That's awful, Chet. Just from reading that sketchy report, I can see several places to lay blame, including with the victim himself.  Loose clothing and moving machines do not mix....or rather, they mix too well.  Too much emphasis on the company's economic recovery and not enough on employee safety is another place to look. Today's first-line supervisors are stretched way too thin. The companies are looking at them as dead weight because they don't actually have their hands on the product. In reality, they are a vital link in keeping the whole operation together. A good foreman would have told that guy to "Button that shirt or go to the house!" and that accident would have never happened. :-/ :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chet

We have a fellow forum member that is also an employee of that mill, ppeterson.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Chet, is that the Mill that just fired back up that we were talking about?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

One and the same. I don't think they were even up to full production yet.

Norwiscutter

Rumor I heard here is that he got there a bit early to set up or something, and the other guys walked in and found him that way.  The people around here that I have talked to said he was a stand up guy... it is a bad lose for the community and his family.  Heard on the radio that OSHA is sending up a team of investigaters to look into the matter and make recomendations. They will determine if any blame is to be placed, as I don't think the economic situation of the whole company is necessary an indication that safety procedures were not in place. Although I would not be surprised if they wern't either. This is a big set back not only for his family, but for the whole logging/milling commmunity in the area that relies on Nagle's economically. Without discussing any details, I will say that it was an absolutly horrable way to go and that my prayers are with his family this week.  
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

doublecutusa

None of us are guaranteed tomorrow.  I have got to be the worst at machinery...my wife prays fervently whenever I pick up a screwdriver...and I ain't talking about o.j. and vodka.  It is terrible and our prayers are with that fellow's family.   With 5 kids of my own, I cannot imagine what they must being going through at this time of year. opportunity for us to pitch in.  I always have to remember, if its that important, turn off the machine first, then fix the problem.  Let us know about the address if you know it.
 :-[

doublecutusa

What I tried to post was that this is A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO PITCH IN WITH GIFTS FOR THE KIDS AT THIS TIME ADN MAYBE A LITTLE EXTRA $$ FOR MOM.  IT'S GOTTA BE ROUGHER'N HECK.

junkyard

Years ago the Basselin mill in Castorland  had a man riding the carriage. Some how  he got stradle of the log and sawn from the crotch to the rib cage. Lived for a day. Old timers that worked there said it was money. Push push push the lumber baron needs more money. Also safety wasn't important back then. Men were a dime a dozen.
                 Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

sawguy21

That was all to common in the past and is why we need effective safety programs. The difficulty can be getting management and sadly, employees on side. The bean counters do not like the expense and too often, employees view it as a nuisance. Some deliberately push the rules like rebellious chldren. We have had people hurt at our store both through carelesness and lack of training yet management still does not get it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cedarman

It takes both sides for safety to be effective.  I fired an employee for refusing to wear safety glasses.  Most employees are more than willing to wear the proper safety equipment.  But this was a case of in your face refusal to wear the glasses in an environment where an obvious danger existed.  Now he is taking me to unemployment court to try and draw.  Will let you know how it turns out.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rebocardo

Cedarman,

FWIW At Ryder Truck (Leasing), EVERYONE, CEO included has to wear safety glasses in the shop area. No exceptions and they keep boxes right at the door and then near the line to cross into the shop for visitors.

Want to shoot a TV video for a company promo in the shop, too bad, everyone including the actors have to have them on, no exceptions.

I wear prescription safety glasses (Ryder paid for them), but, in the cases where I might not have them on while driving or visiting another shop, I kept a pair of safety glasses in my glovebox. Also, I put them on for roadside repairs.

Because in some places, the shop foreman will not even allow you in the service door (even with a Ryder uniform on), never mind into the service area, unless you are wearing a pair BEFORE you get there. Otherwise it is to the front office and past all the safety posters for your glasses.

Intentional or a repeated violation would be a firing offense and noone would be too happy with you because most employees own company stock.

Thank You Sponsors!