iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm new and green

Started by Cub, January 16, 2018, 12:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cub

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and this is my 1st post. Really green to the logging industry. Found some great info on this site and decided to join. There's many years of experience and knowledge here to be had. Thank you all for sharing what you've all learned over the years. A little bout me. From the time I was 14 til I was 24 I worked at a local dairy and vegetable farm where we also ran 9000 taps in the spring to make maple syrup. In the winter we made around 100 cord of firewood for sugar camp and for heating the house and shop. I went to work in town at the foundry but still worked part time at the farm and also worked part time in another farm. Was always involved in making firewood and lots of it. I make about 20 cords of firewood for myself each year. I still work a full time 40 hour a week job in town. This fall a buddy of mine and myself took on a logging job of 250 cord of scotch pine aspen and white ash. I bought an iron mule 5510 forwarder to do the skidding. We do all ctl in the woods by hand cutting with saws. Since the time change we only cut weekends now and take turns during the week after our full time jobs skidding at night. Anyways that's me and just wanted to say hi and thank all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Logger RK

Welcome to The Forum. I do think when starting out Logging,a forwarder is a good first machine. I'm wondering what kind of chain saw's you run?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Sounds like you could teach some of us a thing or two!

Beware the carpal tunnel and worn out joints and stuff that come with repetative manual labor like firewood.  If its hurtin ya a little now, its gonna be a lot worse later.  Anything you can do to mechanize parts of the process will save you pain and cortizone shots down the road.
Praise The Lord

mf40diesel

Welcome to the forum.  Amazing resource and a lot of real cool people...  with similar interests.

Yeah, you sound like quite the industrious beaver.

Of all the facts you said.....  9000 taps!  Holy smokes.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

g_man

Welcome to the forum. You are a busy man! If you have time post some pictures of your equipment and operation. Everyone enjoys pictures.

gg

DaveP

Welcome Cub.  I think you are from my area in the Door County area.

DaveP

trapper

Welcome from another not too far from you
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

wesdor

Welcome Cub.  Sounds to me like you fit right in. 

You are correct, this is a great group of people, willing to share their expertise.

Cub

I run stihl saws. Ms440 046 026 ms260. Actuall marinette county. When I was on the farm we had a jd 440a cable machine. Good machine but snow was your best friend to keep from having to constantly sharpen saws. We cut a lot of big hard maple and beech and white ash. With a forwarder you can cut year round. And yes 9000 taps. Thanks all for the welcome. And yes I like to keep busy.

Cub

Correction ms 440 036 026 ms 260

trapper

I grew up in Marinette co town of grover
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Cub

Currently live in "downtown" porterfield . Grew up in peshtigo.

Cub

I hope to go at it full time 1 day. But now just starting off. Also plan to get a small processor after a while to save on the aches n pains n carpel tunnel that all eventually catch up to hand cutting with saws. But for now I'm perfectly happy doing it this way.

coxy

welcome to the FF   a full time job and log on the side  that's the way to go   8)

BargeMonkey

Welcome. 👍 alot of good information to be had here.

lopet

Welcome  Cub and good introduction post.  It's good to see young motivated guys on here.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

Welcome to the FF.   What's  taps?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mf40diesel

Teakwood, taps in maple trees to make maple syrup.  While I am no expert, I believe 9000 tapped trees would be a pretty darn big operation.  We tap 15 trees for our own personal fun where we live. 
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome cub
You sure as heck aint lazy!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

Welcome Cub!
I'm tired from just reading and thinking about all you are into!

trapper

All this before your time.  My father used to buy his ramblers in  porterfield.  I went to high school in Peshtigo also.  Worked for a year at the sawmill there and ended up running the saw for 6 months.  Circle saw back then with 110 hp electric motor. 

Pclem

Welcome Cub. Good to see a neighbor :) I would be lost without the FF. Sure have learned alot the last couple years. Good bunch of woodsmen
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Cub

Not quite 9000 trees. Just 9000 taps. We had many big trees that got 3-5 taps a piece. Some had 7.  Lots of big old maple. All gathered by hand in 5 gallon buckets and walked to the wagon pulled by a couple John Deere tractors. Yes the building where the ramblers were sold is still standing. And we still have our own post office. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning more from all you that have way more experience and knowledge than me!! I'm out in Connecticut right now for work. But I will try to get some pictures of the old iron mule and what we are cutting when I get back home. MO

Wrenchman

Welcome to the forum Cub!

I'm about an hour north of you in the U.P. Sounds like we are doing something similar, run a forwarder after work and weekends. Would love to do it full time, but not in the cards right now.

Good luck to ya!

Nick

Thank You Sponsors!