iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

28'x50' Barn, broke ground this weekend

Started by jimdad07, August 04, 2015, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

I started a thread a couple of months back about a 30'x50' frame I wanted to build.  I was all over the place with design ideas and timber sizing.  I sat down over the last couple on months and rethought the whole building and my needs vs. wants.
This past weekend I broke ground for the new barn.  I am in the process of tracking down a load of white pine logs, I might have to wait for the logs until early winter.  I'm fine with that because I like working out in the winter and it's easier on my saws for milling when it's cold.  The concrete trucks stop running here in late September so I have to have the pad down before then.
I'm going with a 28'x50', with a full length loft for my wood shop as well as a dormer on each side that will be framed in between the main rafters.  There will be four bays with five bents, 10"x10" posts, the tie beams supporting the loft floor framing will be 10"x16" beams with the widest span being 16'.  I figured my floor load for the loft at 80psf.   I'll post the rest of numbers for the whole shooting match as well as pictures of the progress as I go.  I'll also post my building plans.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

jimdad07

Here are my progress pics.  Batter boards went up first, strings moved until my 6,8,10 measurements were dead on for square.  Broke ground with my Gravely using a rotary plow and then my scraper blade.  That's my buddy John hogging the equipment.  Hopefully I'll be ready for gravel by early next week, still have to dig out for my water line.  Going to make a small heated space under my stairs for a pressure tank and drainage valves to run a line from my spare well.

jimdad07

I'll have to try the photos when I get home, not working out.

jimdad07

jimdad07

MattJ

This will be fun to watch.  Thanks for sharing!

jimdad07

Working in the firewood pile tonight, rained too hard to do any haying or sight work for the barn.  Anyhow, I got quite a few white ash logs in this load of firewood logs.  So as I was splitting wood tonight I split up a bunch of peg blanks out of the white ash rounds.  I cheated and used the wood splitter.  I'll split them off into 1.5" and 2.5" squares with a hatchet and shape them with a block plane.  Figure I'll be shaping a lot of pegs throughout this project.

Carpenter

witterbound

Make you pegs with a jig on a table saw, or use a spoke shave on a shaving horse.  You'll find info about both techniques in older posts.

rasman57

jimdad07

Ordered chisels yesterday.  Bought a 2" Henry Taylor firmer chisel, a 1-1/2" Henry Taylor firmer chisel and a 1" corner chisel.  They be pretty proud of their product but they should last for a long time if taken care of.  They also come with the leather tip protectors.see

jimdad07

Working on my dig still, slow going with a scraper blade but working well.  I made rippers for the blade with 1/2" rebar and some 2" angle iron I had kicking around.  Drilled and tapped bolt holes into the scraper blade and boy did that make working this clay a lot easier.  I'm down about a foot below grade on the high end and about 8" on the low end.  Now I'm just digging the haunches out around the outside and hopefully be building forms this weekend and bringing gravel in by Monday.  Been working on it until about midnight every night with lights on the tractor.  Be glad when the ground work is finished.

witterbound

Is this going to have a full concrete floor?  If so, are you adding footers below each post location?

jimdad07

Quote from: witterbound on August 07, 2015, 06:40:28 AM
Is this going to have a full concrete floor?  If so, are you adding footers below each post location?
Yes to fill concrete floor.  I am pouring a 12"x12" haunch all the way around and one down the middle under my center posts.  I'm getting 4,000# psi concrete from my local concrete place, the slab will be on 12" of crush and run and hard pan clay under the crush and run.  Also the haunches will be heavy with rebar and the rest of the pad will have the 6x6 mesh.

jimdad07

Quote from: witterbound on August 07, 2015, 06:40:28 AM

You had me questioning myself on my slab.  I just ran some numbers on my lunch break and figured how much load my concrete can handle.  With the combined loads from roof to floor on each post I'll have roughly 14,000#'s that the slab has to support at each outside post.  Figure each post is 100 square inches on the floor that's 140psi.  My concrete is going to be 4,000 psi, which if I did my math right should handle 400,000#'s in a 100 square inch area.  I think the main concern is the slab fracturing from shifting more so than handling the weight of the building, especially from weight that is not distributed evenly around the whole perimeter.  The best thing I have going for me is the hard pan clay under the gravel.  The only better option I could have had was if it was solid bed rock.  This clay up here is so packed that there is extremely little shifting or compaction.  I feel fairly confident in the slab working out.  I built my house on a monolithic slab about 9 years ago and she hasn't moved a bit nor has it cracked.  If I'm wrong in my thinking I am certainly open to ideas and suggestions.

beenthere

Your clay must be different than what we have. If clay, the frost will cause it to expand several inches which creates problems when it doesn't all expand at the same rate or amount. Often will go to what is called a floating slab to roll with the moving frozen ground.
But it can be solid as concrete when somewhat dry, or like sticky mud when wet.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jimdad07

Quote from: beenthere on August 07, 2015, 01:40:05 PM
Your clay must be different than what we have. If clay, the frost will cause it to expand several inches which creates problems when it doesn't all expand at the same rate or amount. Often will go to what is called a floating slab to roll with the moving frozen ground.
But it can be solid as concrete when somewhat dry, or like sticky mud when wet.

I could be wrong with my thinking on it, I was going by the buildings I have put up and what's around me.  I know if it gets loosened up it turns to baby crap in a hurry.  A floating monolithic slab was my plan for the building.  Hopefully I can make it work for me, I would love to pour frost walls but I'm on a very tight budget on this project.  I would also love to just buy my posts and beams but I'm stuck milling them, it won't save me any time but it'll save me a lot of cash.

jimdad07

Ready for gravel!  I talked to some builders I know tonight, one of them a friend of mine up in Bar Harbor Maine area who gets into some timber framing from time to time, real good guy who's built a good business for himself.  Anyway, I ran my slab dimensions by him and my figures for the building weight and he told me it should be fine.  That was the consensus among the four I talked to tonight.  I'm going to run with it and hope for the best.  Hopefully by next weekend I'll have some concrete form pictures posted for you guys complete with rebar and gravel.

jimdad07

Had more trouble today laying out my first side of my concrete forms than I've ever had.  The transit I was using just didn't want to adjust.  It had me almost a 1/2" low at 50'.  I finally stopped screwing around with it and ran a pair of string line levels side by side and stretched the lines until they about cut my hands.  Set one up on each end with a 2" block and set all the form sections to 2" below the strings.  Big difference.  I'm going to check it all with a water level once the forms are all built and then it'll be time for gravel.  Trying to get this slab as close to perfect as possible, paying extreme attention to where the posts will be sitting.

jimdad07

My new chisels arrived yesterday.  They are pretty nice.  I will have to hone the corner chisel, one side is nice and sharp but the other is pretty dull.  The two firmer chisels shaved hair off of my arm, I think they'll do.  Hopefully I'm finally figuring the picture posting out to where it's getting easier.  The early stages of this build are kind of boring to watch but I'll keep documenting them so the thread covers the build from start to finish.  Gravel is coming today while I'm at work, that'll keep me busy for a few evenings.  Once concrete is down I'll be into the fun stuff.  I still have to figure brace sizing and all of that good stuff as well as some of the joinery, but I'll get into that as the build progresses.  But after concrete the mill is getting set up on the slab and then I'll be sawing logs.  My poor chainsaw mill is about to earn its keep.

jimdad07

I have few questions on sizing bracing as well as collar ties.  I want as much bracing as possible in my frame.  I have a pretty heavy wind load where I live off of the end of Lake Ontario.  Are there any rules of thumb for sizing braces?  I would also like to have my second floor wood shop open but if I do so it will eliminate purlin plates and queen posts supporting the roof.  I have sized my rafters to handle a total load of 64 psf, which will have my non gable rafters supporting a total load of 13,446#'s based on my tributary area on each of those rafters.  That gives me a 8x10 EWP with just under a 1/2" deflection based on the loads.  A 7x9 rafter also passed but it has a deflection of .7+".  I guess my question would be how well would collar ties fight thrust at the top plates vs. purlin plates.  I am using an 8/12 pitch for gable end bays and a 5/12 pitch for dormers that will be over the two middle bays.  Hope I explained it clearly enough.

Jim_Rogers

First of all a collar beam will only reduce the rafter thrust if it is within 12" above the rafter foot at the plate.
In any other elevation the collar beam is in compression, that is preventing the rafters from sagging.

You can make the braces any size you want.
Normally larger braces are 4x6 but you can make them 4x7 or 4x8 if you wish. Even 6x6 if you want to, you just need to lay them out right and cut them so that the fit tight. Always in pairs, so that they are opposing.

The rest of your question are best answered by an experienced timber framing structural engineer.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

Thanks Jim, that's what I wanted to know.

jimdad07

Pouring concrete this weekend and my logs are close to being delivered.  Can't wait for the concrete to be finished. Then I can get excited.

jimdad07

Still waiting on logs.  The logger I'm dealing with is into a patch of white pine that he's setting aside logs that are going to fit the bill.  He's bringing me 20' logs that I will be able to cut my 10"x16" tie beams out of.  Should be enough on the load for my bents and girts.  I have three 30" diameter pines out back in the woods that are blown half way down with good 30' of clear stem to the first branches.  Hopefully I can get some rafters out of those.  Going crazy waiting and reading old threads, ready to start doing!  Making redundant posts just isn't cutting it.

Thank You Sponsors!