iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mobile dimension, price?

Started by sawdust, March 19, 2008, 01:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

There is a Mobile dimension mill going up for auction. 50hp electric 8x30' 2 36" blades.
Any possible idea what it might be worth? I will post more info as I learn it.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

StorminN

I've never heard of an MD like that, with that big of an electric motor and two big blades. Usually the electric MD's have two 3 phase motors... a 25hp for the main blade, and a 15hp for the edger blades. The main blade is usually 30" and the edger blades are normally 11.5" for the small ones and 19.5" for the bigger one.

Try and get the serial number of that mill and call Ron at Mobile Mfg., he will be able to tell you what the history of it is and what's up with it.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

sawdust

Have not found a serial number but I can go past the auction site on Friday. I got a picture of it though.

This thing is probably way bigger than I need. I always thought these mills are good for BIG timber. My access is to stuff 24 inches and less.
sawdust

I put more picture in my album, I cannot get them to here though.

StorminN

Is the any way for you to make the pictures bigger? Like 450 pixels in their biggest dimension? They still need to be 35Kb max in order to post here...

-N.

sawdust

Unfortunately that was the size it came, I did not scale it down at all. I will take my own photos on Friday when I get to the sale site. I was gone all day and could not phone Mobile, I will do that tomorrow.

sawdust

Dave Shepard

To add a picture to your post, have your post window open, then select the picture you want in your gallery. Underneath the picture is an option to add the code to your post.

Here is another of your photos, unfortunately, they really are that tiny. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Sawdust, it looks like you might have saved a thumbnail photo to your computer.  If you go back where you got it from and open it, then save the full-size one, we might be able to see it.

It also looks like someone got the figures jumbled up in the description of the mill.  Most likely, it has a 30" main blade, and the edger will cut 8" deep, hence the 8x30 part.  Of course that is sheer speculation on my part, but I'm pretty sure that MD hasn't made a mill with two 36" blades.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawdust

I tried getting a bigger picture, see if it worked.

sawdust

edit.. much better! see if I can add another. 8)

sawmill_john

Sawdust, what we have here is not a Mobile Dimension Saw, I worked there for over 20 years and saw some odd stuff, but that is not a MDS. not to say that there aren't parts of a mobile in there some where, it looks a lot like a Mighty Mite, but not exactly.  I'd check it out in person if possible, it is built heavy enough,  not very portable.

StorminN

Wow, that thing is BURLY... so let's see... if it really does have two 36" blades, that means it will probably cut 15"x15" or 16"x16" cants in one pass?  :o :o :o  Cool.

-Norm.

Mooseherder

Kinda looks like an Altered Dragster eh? ;D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 20, 2008, 07:19:14 AM
Kinda looks like an Altered Dragster eh? ;D

Yeah, but that's an awful short track, with no runout room! :D Looks like a beast of a mill.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawdust

Had a look at the monster! I could not find a mfg tag on it anywhere. There really were two 50 hp motors on the thing! The blades were not on it. There were all the corner lift devices, looked like it was fashioned after a Mobile Dimension. Definitely the timber has to come to it, too big to be moved.
It had been in roughly 8 auctions, I was counting the lot numbers on it. Lot numbers were done in that paint in a ball point tube. 
I wonder if it is possible to find out what it sells for without being there. Just curiosity.
If I find out I will post it.
sawdust

bandmiller2

Sawdust,that mill was probibly not a production model,looks shop built for a particular job.Many circular mill builders will build you what you want for a special operation.Be aware you will have to be your own millright if you buy it,most are built from standard parts.That 50hp 3 phase is a tough nut to crack thats major power.If its been through so many auctions theirs a reason.Make a lowball offer or bid mayby repower with an engine,or get a genset.would be fun to play with.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

StorminN

Anything over a 40hp motor here, and the PUD wants to see that you have a soft start before they will let you turn the thing on... so two 50hp motors would need two soft starts... those are not cheap. Does this beast come with any control panels?

If it's being auctioned by a big outfit like Richie Bros., if you have the lot number, you can call or get on their website a couple of days after the auction and find out what it went for...

-Norm.

sawdust

No controls of any sort. The wires had been chopped off right at the motors. There is a lot of good iron there but little else of value. The motors were marked 50hp   4p    240/480v  I could not find that it said 3ph anywhere, I have no idea what the 4p means.

There is no way I can come up with power for a single 50hp never mind two!
I'll bet it sells really cheap.

This is at the Edmonton Richie Bros auction, I wandered all over the sale yard yesterday. The American dollar is low relative to Canadian so there will be no US buyers. The economy here is roaring, money is cheap to borrow. Businesses are buying new, I bet that equipment will be very economical there.

sawdust

KnotBB

It's a Duncan Beam saw.  One for sale in used equipment on the doublecut web  site with , I believe a price listed.

Steve
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

sawdust

That looks like the same machine! I can see where the power controls are supposed to be. I bet that machine would cut alot of wood in a hurry.
dc

Coon

That would work pretty good fopr sawing out timbers for a timber frame housing market.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawmill_john

Steve I right, it's a duncun, they sure copied the MDS.

sawdust

This was one of the earliest items up for bid and we missed seeing it go. Some fellow walking past said it went for a few hundred dollars.

Tom

Duncan is DIW (Duncan iron works)

It's a British Columbian company located on Vancouver Island.

StorminN

Quote from: sawdust on March 27, 2008, 09:18:02 AMSome fellow walking past said it went for a few hundred dollars.

These days, the copper in those two 50hp motors could be worth close to that!

Someone either got a good deal, or don't know what they got themselves into...

-Norm.

Dave Shepard

Unless you could scrap it on site, it would cost more to get it trucked home. :D That thing is going to be quite the project for somebody.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!