iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installed new HeatmasterSS G200 gasifier

Started by Engineer, January 08, 2017, 12:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

When I built my house, I installed a 2004-model Central Boiler Classic CL5648.  It worked well for me for 10 years, ate quite a lot of wood, but saved me a lot of money as I was able to get heat and hot water for my home year-round.  It also had a propane burner (the Dual-Fuel model) for the summertime when you didn't want to burn wood, or for lighting a fire that had gone out, or for backup when I was away from home.  I'm sure I've posted a few observations about the old beast a time or two in the past. 

A couple years ago I noticed a small wet area on the slab.  Opened up the exterior panel under the pumps and there was a small drip.  Didn't think much of it, wasn't too bad.  Steadily over time it got worse and worse, to the point where just before Christmas 2016, I was adding 20+ gallons of water per DAY to the water jacket.  I'd peeled off the insulation and the siding and the water jacket had multiple leaks, rotting seams, pinholes and generally in bad shape.   I had two options - try to fix it, which probably wouldn't happen until Spring, or replace it, which required a snap decision owing to finances and available year-end rebates.  Fixing it would have required a complete tear-down in the off-season, and even if I was able to repair it, it was still the same old boiler, with the same old appetite for wood, and subject to future failuures.  I also never had a positive experience with Central Boiler regarding their warranty, and my dealer was chosen for the location rather than for service.  I could buy all the parts I wanted at MSRP but for repairs I was on my own. 

In the end I chose to replace it.  I shopped around a bit, looking at various models.  Vermont requires the installation of a EPA Phase 2 model, which meant I was getting a gasifier.  Not really concerned, since I have always cut my wood to 20" long, split it to a manageable size, and kept it under cover.  I looked at Portage and Main, Polar, and Heatmaster SS.  Central was out because I didn't really want to get back in the same boat with the same dealer and manufacturer.  Maybe they're better now, I don't know and don't care.  I visited other online forums and found a dealer in southwestern Maine (Mainly Custom, Lyman Maine) who is an outspoken advocate of his line of wood boilers and has an impeccable reputation.  I e-mailed Richard on New Year's Eve and ordered a new Heatmaster SS G200 gasifier. 

On Wednesday January 4, Richard and Mike arrived at my house, removed the old boiler (which immediately got sold to a friend for parts) and installed the new Heatmaster G200.  (I should call it an OWF, outdoor wood furnace, can't really call it a boiler as it never gets above 212 degrees unless there's a system failure).  It's been running since late Wednesday afternoon and I have probably used less wood in 3-1/2 days than I did in one day with the old unit.  I calculated that I was burning 16-20 cubic feet of wood per day with the old CB and I'm burning 4-5 CF per day with the new one.  Many advantages too - no leaks being number one! But the firebox is easier to load, almost no smoke at all, all stainless steel components, easy to clean, easy to maintain, simple to operate and well supported by both the dealer and the manufacturer. 

I did have some reservations about ordering from a dealer, sight unseen, who was almost five hours drive away from me, and a unit that I had never seen in person and was relatively new to the market.  Those fears were put to rest quickly.

Here's a few photos and I have more if anybody is interested.  Will also be happy to discuss this unit either here or by PM, I know it hasn't even been a week but I should have done this a while ago. 

New boiler firing up for the first time.

Front view.

Back side with plumbing/electrical. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

What is the larger Grundfos circulator for on the right?
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Engineer

Quote from: martyinmi on January 09, 2017, 09:44:18 PM
What is the larger Grundfos circulator for on the right?

Marty, that's a recirculation loop.  Just in case the main supply and return loops have to be shut down for any reason, that one always stays running.  I thought it was a bigger pump but it's a UP15-58FC, same size as a Taco 007.  Just 1-1/4" pipe is all. 

mf40diesel

I also just installed a G200, from Richard and Mikey B.... absolutely fantastic operation.  We installed ours back in late October.  Knock on wood, but the unit has been flawless so far.  We have around 2500 ft2 to heat and it has done it with ease... so far I believe we are working on our 3rd cord now.  Mum's been stuffing the wood in it as I am at sea at the moment, so I am estimating our usage.

The small pump on the side, at least how i understand it, is a mixing pump to keep the water in the boiler mixed thoroughly in an effort to eliminate or at least reduce hot spots in the water chamber.  I guess that was a long way of saying keeps the temperature more uniform.

I can't believe how easy it is... its a super clean gassifier, and it is honestly no harder at all, than my buddies traditional boilers.  Just burns far less wood and creates hardly any ash. 

I hope it continues like this for many years. 

And yes,  truly enjoyed Richard and Mikey B (their workmanship was extrordinary)....  look forward to enjoying another "diet 7up" with them!
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

hedgerow

I hope in the long haul the heatmaster proves to be a good unit. I run a Garn and I do think gasifier heaters are the way to go.

Engineer

Quick update - today's been exactly two weeks since the unit fired up for the first time.  Based on the first photo in the thread and what my woodshed looks like now, I've burned slightly over 1/4 cord of wood in those two weeks.  2-1/2 cubic feet per day on average.  A couple of days have been warm and I've gotten nearly a 24-hour burn.  Other days have been cold and have had to feed every 12 hours, but still a nice thick bed of coals.  In these units, a heavy coal bed is a good thing.  I scooped out about a gallon of ashes this past Monday afternoon. 

Only malfunction is that my motorized air damper has stuck on me, twice.  Both times it was a ten-minute process to take things apart and free it up, and only because I was unfamiliar with the mechanism.  Now I'm very familiar with it (thanks to a couple of 'oops!' moments and a lot of cussin') but the issue seemed to be new paint (the boiler was brand new from the factory and not sitting on a lot somewhere) and some creosote causing it to stick.  I lubed it with graphite the first time, but it stuck again.  The second time I took the damper assembly completely apart, scraped off the crud, and lubed it with PB Blaster.  So far, so good.  I can see that this will be a routine maintenance item.

I am also thinking, at this point I'm going to get picky with my wood, going forward.  No longer going to burn anything and everything I can scrounge up.  Clean, dry, split evenly, low MC%, etc.  Chunks and uglies are OK but they have to go on top of the pile and won't be half rotten.  Everything else is going to be saved for the bonfire pit. 

Den69RS96

If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much was the G200?
Stihl ms250, ms361, ms046

Engineer

Unit was $9995.00 after factory discount, plus a few hundred in parts and misc. labor.

spyder68

Den69RS96

Quote from: Engineer on February 08, 2017, 09:53:48 AM
Unit was $9995.00 after factory discount, plus a few hundred in parts and misc. labor.

Thanks
Stihl ms250, ms361, ms046

Thank You Sponsors!