iDRY Vacuum Kilns

window 8.1

Started by xlogger, November 03, 2013, 06:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I got an email about downloading windows 8.1. My new computer came with windows 8. I downloaded classic shell awhile back. I'm not good at all with computers, should I delete classic shell and download windows 8.1? Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

thecfarm

How do you use your computers? I only use mine to get on the FF,youtube,looking at euipment,print off a few coupons for the wife,email. If it's not broke,why fix it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xlogger

about the same, maybe a little more. Just was not sure if it might be more like my old computer
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Jeff

Where did the email come from? You should always be very very careful about what comes in an email, or any links given to click on in an email. There are so many ploys out there to get at you that my policy is to trust NOTHING.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

xlogger

Jeff

If I was a crook, and I wanted to send you an email to try and get you to help me compromise your system, I would try and make you think I was from Microsoft.  Make sure you examine any web or reply links by mousing over them and looking at the addresses. Make sure you are dealing with microsoft servers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clearcut

Unfortunately we have reached a point where you should NEVER click a link found in an unsolicited email.

CryptoLocker is new sort of virus has surfaced that will encrypt all of your personal files and demand a ransom to unlock them. If you do not pay after a few days, the password is deleted and your files cannot be unencrypted. Clicking a link in an unsolicited email appears to be the most common method of infection. So far CryptoLocker only effects Windows.

If you have a link from a legitimate site, it is better to go to your browser and type in the company's URL, then navigate the site for the information that you need.

I'm not familiar with Windows 8.0 / 8.1. but with previous versions you can update by typing update.microsoft.com in Internet Explorer, or use the system update tool in the Control Panel.

The BEST solution to any of these problems is to have an effective BACK-UP strategy in place.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ianab

Can't comment on the email you have received, the "From" address is the easiest to thing to fake. It may be legit, or not...

But there is a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

This page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial has all the instructions. But basically you get it by going to the "Windows Store" App in Windows 8, and selecting the upgrade from there, and following the instructions. The upgrade is optional, and you can do it any time. If you are happy with how the machine is running, you can leave it like it is for now.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)