iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member, I just bought a Husqvarna 445 and have a few questions.

Started by chadweasel, November 19, 2012, 07:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadweasel

I had a Poulan Pro that started giving me some problems so I broke down and purchased a Husqvarna 445 with a 16inch bar yesterday.  It was a difference of night and day compared to my Poulan. I plan on using this for small jobs around the house and maybe cut up some trees in my fathers woods to make firewood. I've read some bad things about the 445.  Is it not capable of doing a little bit of hard work?  Also I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket bar and chain for my 445. I was thinking about maybe getting an 18 or 20inch for bigger jobs if my saw can handle it.  Could you guys steer me in the right direction on finding a bar and chain?

Ianab

"Bad things" are probably folks comparing the little Husky to a "pro" grade saw. For lopping a few tree around home and a bit of firewood gathering it will "Get R Done" just fine. Some of the guys here do more sawing in a week than you will in 10 years, so they would kill that little saw pretty quick. For you, it will last for years.

Forum sponsor Balieys (The LucasMill link on the right side of the screen) would be able to sell you a bar and chain). But with a 45cc saw you are probably better off sticking with the 16" bar. It wont be at all impressive with a 20" bar on it. Anything you can't take down with the 16" bar you should probably be leaving alone anyway. Cutting from both sides is common enough, and that gets out up to 30" dia trees, without doing anything fancy. That saw will take them down, as long as you are careful and patient.

If you are setting out to take down 24"+ trees all day, then you will want more saw. Saturday afternoon firewood cutting? That saw will be fine, keep the chain sharp, the gas fresh, and be careful.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

chadweasel

Thanks for the info Ian.  Saturday afternoon firewood cutting is exactly what I would do with it at the most.  I'll post back after I do some cutting.  Thanks again

thecfarm

chadweasel,welcome to the forum. Must be getting the firewood out with a tractor,ATV? Chaps are a good thing to wear. Hardhats are good too
Probably don't help,but some guy at work brought a Poulan. Only used it a little for about a month and could not get it to run right. He told me tried a new plug,but knew that wasn't it. Ran like a new one again. he was surprized they put a real cheap plug in it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shelbycharger400

I had a brand new pouland toy saw...spun the rod bearing in it in less than a month.
I limbed way over 400 pine trees that were 12 or better in dia . I outlived its life in a few weekends and weekdays a few hours at a time.  The 30 + old saws I used for dropping them..still run like a top except one that needs a carb kit.
I used a 50cc saw  with 3/8 chain cutting most of them down with a 16 in bar,  a few of the trees I had to use the craftsman 917  (60 cc) with the 20 in bar but has .325 chain.  I also took down a few red cedars 20-30 in across with both saws.

Cutting the bigger trees it pays to have a HIGH reving saw!
The craftsman is an old beast, but I use a Jonsered 630 that takes its place in the fleet.   

hamish

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on November 20, 2012, 05:23:06 PM
I had a brand new pouland toy saw...spun the rod bearing in it in less than a month.
I limbed way over 400 pine trees that were 12 or better in dia . I outlived its life in a few weekends and weekdays a few hours at a time.  The 30 + old saws I used for dropping them..still run like a top except one that needs a carb kit.
I used a 50cc saw  with 3/8 chain cutting most of them down with a 16 in bar,  a few of the trees I had to use the craftsman 917  (60 cc) with the 20 in bar but has .325 chain.  I also took down a few red cedars 20-30 in across with both saws.

Cutting the bigger trees it pays to have a HIGH reving saw!
The craftsman is an old beast, but I use a Jonsered 630 that takes its place in the fleet.

FYI your 917. Craftsman is a rebadged Poulan.  One cant compare Poulan to Poulan with knowing what Poulan one is referring to.

To the OP, any small mount .325 Husqvarna bar will fit on your 445.  But is will feel happyest sporting a 16" bar.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

shelbycharger400

hamish.. my craftsman 917 is a roper saw, NOT poulan!
btw, in parents fleet their is 1 early 80's poulan. They in no part compare to whats made today. The old poulans were tough!  That one has a manual oiler, early 80's it was used in parents tree service, and though the years cut Many many chords of wood!  out of their biggest saws, id take it over the stihl 031 or the husky 455, Their is a testy 95 vintage craftsman that is a 60 something cc saw that is ok most of the time, rips the cord out of your hand first pull! .. that one is a poulan

chadweasel

jcbrotz

Click on the baileys line on right or baileysonline.com and in the top right of the of the page is a link for bar selector then select your saw from the dropdowns, it don't get any easier.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

kenskip1

CW, as an owner of this same saw may I advise against using a larger bar. The power is somewhat limited.Not only this but your bar and chain may not receive enough oil.I would just stick with the 16 BC. This is not a professional saw. If you want to move up look at the 455.Mine pulls the 16 just fine but it is not overly powered.JMHO, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

chadweasel

Thanks for the advice. I think the 16" should do everything I need. I'm very happy with the performance of my saw and for the cutting that I will do it should be more than enough.

cuterz

Welcome CW that 445 is a nice saw treat it well and it will do fine, as most have said stick with the stock bar and keep the chain sharp.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!