iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweetgum, arguably our most misunderstood tree?

Started by chain, November 28, 2012, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Two of our publications of tree species identification have described the Sweetgum as a valuable timber tree that may grow 3'-4' wide.

Also, sweetgum is described as an ornamental, free from insects and disease damage; gumballs, the seed of the tree, have been used for ornaments, attractive when painted various colors. The leaves may turn shades of gold, red, pink, and purple, all on the same tree.

Wildlife uses, as the seeds are consumed by at least 25 species of birds, including woodduck ; also food for squirrels and chipmunks.

Dodgy Loner

From a commercial forest management perspective, sweetgum is not a bad tree to have at all. It grows quickly, it has excellent form for handling and loading, and it makes excellent pulpwood, crossties, and palletwood.

However, most of the folks on here view sweetgum from a slightly different perspective - we are mostly small woodlot owners, sawmillers, woodworkers. Sweetgum is undesirable for firewood, because it is light, it rots quickly, and it's nearly impossible to split. It's undesirable for woodworkers because it is nearly impossible to dry flat, and unless the tree has a significant quantity of heartwood, it's not particularly attractive. Small woodlot owners don't typically like it because it grows so fast and reproduces so prolifically that it shades out more desirable firewood and timber species. As an ornamental, sweetgum leaves a lot to be desired - although the fall color is quite attractive, the balls are a nuisance to clean up. Sweetgum has wildlife value if you are a birdwatcher, but if you are merely a hunter, there isn't anything you are interested in that will eat the seeds. It will be more valuable for wildlife as a snag once the tree is dead. That's where I stand on the issue. The most valuable sweetgum is a dead sweetgum. I'm with Magicman :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Bogue Chitto

I like to saw sweetgum as long as  someone else owns the logs.   A sawmill blade will last a long time cutting sweetgum.

chain

I've had fairly good luck with sawing, solar kiln drying, and farm use lumber from the Sweetgum.

We have several sweetgums left along the drains in the woods because they were hollow, and thought they were great leave trees for wildlife [to mention blackgum left also] the hollow-trees quite possibly caused by long ago forest fires.

I can see where the gums can become a weed, sure does form a thicket, but certain birds and deer seem to be quite fond of it.

And last but not least is the medicinal value from the 'gum' of the tree. Contains the ingredient  in "compound tincture of benzoin"; used externally for sores, skin ailments, wounds...also the 'gum' was once traditionally chewed for sore throats, colds, diarrhea, ringworm, and such.

pineywoods

Just for grins and giggles, I quartersawed a good sized sweetgum log, then stickered and air dried the lumber. It dried nice and flat except around knots, made into some small furniture pieces, takes a stain nicely. Once dry, the wood is quite stable.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Okrafarmer

So far, I have found the sweetgum around here to be far superior to its reputation. We do have some quite large ones (Profdan has at least two that are 30-36" or more abh) and they develop some rather nifty heartwood patterns. They mill easily, and I have had less trouble air-drying sweetgum than air-drying cherry.

My opinion of it has been gradually changing. Based on my personal beliefs, I do not believe any species has been placed on this earth to be useless to mankind. The more I learn about sweetgum, especially hands-on, the more I appreciate it. Especially the old-growth, or big straight trees.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

learner

Oh Boy here we go.  I don't know what all the fuss is.  All the sweetgum i've cut has dried nicely.  I've been experimenting with it because it used to be used a lot in times past.  So far i've only had 3/32's cupping and less than an inch of end checking. I also let it sit long enough for the bark to start decaying.  Easier to remove it so the log can vent along it's length.  It's dried a nice golden brown with a beautiful grain pattern.
I'm going to plane some tomorrow before i make a final descision but so far i'm really happy with it. Not to mention it is a market to be re-discovered.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Red Clay Hound

For you guys who like this stuff, I have tons of it I'll let you have cheap free!  All I ask is that you spray the stump with glyphosate when you're done. ;D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Red Clay Hound on November 29, 2012, 12:03:06 AM
For you guys who like this stuff, I have tons of it I'll let you have cheap free!  All I ask is that you spray the stump with glyphosate when you're done. ;D

We have plenty of it for free around here too.  :D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Just when you think that you have it figured and use it on an exceptionally nice piece, it will warp on you and break your heart  :).  It can be sneaky. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 29, 2012, 08:18:51 AM
Just when you think that you have it figured and use it on an exceptionally nice piece, it will warp on you and break your heart  :).  It can be sneaky.

I think I remember someone saying you are supposed to build things with the movement of the wood in mind. With sweetgum, it may take some more allowances, right?  :)

Claybraker

Mom taught me if you can't say anything nice...

With that in mind, I love how sweetgum saplings respond to an imazapyr/glyphosate foliar spray.

Andy White

Dodgy Loner and Red Clay Hound,  I felt the same way as you, until my neighbor cut a large one down and split it for firewood.I got a block of it and resawed some small boards with it. after a few months laying on my shelf, I had a thought to try it for a small Keepsake box . Here are the results.

This one turned out nicely, but I don't know if it would be this nice on a larger scale...
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Red Clay Hound

Andy, I will admit that's a nice box.  I must say however that most of my SG does not have interesting figure like that.  I have cut some large ones that had some dark wood in the heart that looked interesting.  Most of it is just bland white wood.  I have cut a little to try it for structural lumber but did not have much success getting it to dry flat.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bogue Chitto

chain

Beautiful box !

We've discussed the attributes of SG but as a forest manager and to someone who may be establishing plantations of a pure species, such as Loblolly or Long leaf Pine then sweetgum has not a place in the stand. I have problems right now with SG seedlings taking over my clearings and old log yards.

Seemingly, the very worst the sweetgum can do is when it regenerates so profusely from the mother stump! You may not pay much attention for a year or two but brother....the third or fourth year you have a multiple stemmed, tough critter that suddenly has taking up several square feet and crowding and shading out smaller non-aggressive favored seedlings! Chemical time, possibly a controlled burn may kill out the gum?

WDH

Andy, that is a beautiful box!  It is best used in small projects of where the boards are free to move a bit.  It does not behave well in wide panels.

Boss, I have read the prerequisite before, but it was so funny reading it again that I was laughing out loud over and over again  ;D.

Who would have thunk that sweetgum was so inspirational  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on November 29, 2012, 02:59:48 PM
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62153.0.html

Whoa, that was intense! I can only imagine what it might have been like if WDH had gotten involved, I don't think I saw him in that one. Before he joined, maybe?

;D

WDH

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on November 29, 2012, 09:34:15 PM
Andy, that is a beautiful box!  It is best used in small projects of where the boards are free to move a bit.  It does not behave well in wide panels.

Boss, I have read the prerequisite before, but it was so funny reading it again that I was laughing out loud over and over again  ;D.

Who would have thunk that sweetgum was so inspirational  ???.

Stepping on sweetgum balls barefoot, considers it quite inspirational.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Okrafarmer

Today I checked on some sweetgum I have been air-drying. One log's lumber has been drying about 2 months, the other log's lumber has been drying about 6 months. All 4/4. Out of about 15 boards, one shows some single-dimension movement, the rest are all nice and straight.

learner

This is a piece of what i cut awhile back.  Planed it today.

The 3rd image shows a small end section with a quick(but poor) varnish spray job on it.

So far i'm happy with the sweetgum.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Jeff

HEY!  Are you the guy that made off with my Cabin Crocs?  :D ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Nice shoes  :D :D.  That sweetgum is pretty.

Thank You Sponsors!