iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help With My Christmas Present

Started by katie-did, December 30, 2008, 08:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katie-did

I need some help with my Christmas Present.
Part-Timer bought me the meat grinder, sausage stuffer, and pasta maker for my Kitchen Aide mixer for Christmas.
I have never worked with a grinder but to make venison burger.  I am looking for some good sausage recipes, Burger combo recipe, Pasta, Ect.  I have never even use fresh pasta. Do you work with fresh pasta differently? Any help would help would be appreciated I have the books but I want some REAL food recipes.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Mooseherder

I have 2 sausage recipes you may enjoy.  Do you plan on buying some Sausage Casings for the Sausage or just have it loose patty formed?  I prefer mine out of the casing anyway and Casings are getting expensive.  There are some Sausage Spice companies like "Leggs" that most Stores use in making their recipes.  Spices have gotten expensive also.
Sorry this recipe is more geared for pork sausage.  I use to sell a lot of this a while back. :)
It was the only mix I made.  The other mixes I used the Leggs Bagged Seasonings and followed their recipe.

You can sub the Beef with Venison on this recipe.  It is my favorite sausage recipe. :)

10 # RECIPE
  9 lbs lean pork butts                 1 lb lean beef
  1 cont. 6oz. asiago shredded    1 cont. 6oz. romano shredded
  5 tablespoons salt                    3 teaspoons pepper
  1/2 cup parsley                        1 and a half cups water

20 # RECIPE

18 lbs lean pork butts                2 lbs lean beef
  2 cont. 6oz. asiago                   2 cont. 6oz. romano
  10 tablespoons salt                   6 teaspoons pepper
  1 Cup parsley                           3 cups water

Cut the Meat into small cubes.  Put into Lug/Bowl, mix with all other ingredients.
Grind and put threw sausage horn or make patties after or during first grind.
Grinding twice will make Mush. :(

Here is a Chicken Sausage recipe that is also very good.  Follow same procedures above.
THE MIX FOR A 10 lb. BATCH.

10 lbs. chicken breast 
      .18 lbs. salt
      .04 lbs. coarse ground black pepper
      .07 lbs. fennel seed
       8 oz. olive oil
       8 oz. minced garlic
       6 oz. sun-dried tomatoes
      .10 lbs. fresh basil

katie-did

Thanks Moosehearder
I was not looking for any specific recipe. We don't care if it is stuffed in casings or bulk. We are just having a hard time finding a recipe that we like. We have a local market that we love their sausage but it is a secret recipe. They get $2.69 a pound for it and when you have a hog in the freezer you hate to pay the price for a couple pounds of sausage. Back in the day you could take your meat in and they would make you sausage but with all of the regulation they are not able to do that anymore.
I just hate to buy recipe book and trying recipes that someone just sat around and thought up just for a cookbook. They only cookbooks that I buy are local ones. I love the ones that churches and other organization put out because it is real food that real people eat. Sausage is not a normal recipe that would be in there so I thought that some of you guys on here that love food so much would have some good ones. So thank you. I will try and get the stuff around here so that I can try it. Part-Timer thought that the Chicken sounded really good. He loves chicken.
Thanks Again Katie-Did
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

farmerdoug

K-D,

I have the the 'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing' book by Rytek Kutas.  It is an excellent book on meat curing, I suggest you purchase it.  All of the recipes that I have used are good, but do not be afraid of being creative.   :)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Mooseherder

Just some more thoughts on your grinder.  They are great for grinding your own hamburger.
When Chuck Roasts come on sale, you can cut them up into 1 inch cubes and feed through the grinder for some of the best hamburger out there.  The reason I mention cutting into small cubes is.  There is a lot of heat generated in the housing.  It is better for the gear to push it through the knife/plate without having to push it through with the plunger.  The less time the Meat stays in the grinder the better.  It is also better to prime the machine when you turn it on.  When the Machine is assembled and ready to go.  Put a couple small pieces in, flip the switch and turn off immediately, try not to let the machine run dry without meat going through it.  Dropping small pieces in the opening at constantly low feed rate produces good results. :)

Sunfield Hardwood

Katie, google, Lem-Products. they sell sausage and butcher supplys and have lots of info on their website. I've tried LOTS of different spice blends for sausage and like theirs the best. It reminds me of the sausage we made at home when I was a kid :), of course that differs for every person. good luck
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

ScottAR

One hint I got while watching "good eats."
When your finished grinding, run a couple pieces of sandwich bread through the grinder to make the clean out easier.  I don't have a grinder but it seems logical.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

stonebroke

Mooseherder was right, Grinding does generate heat. One trick for grinding hamburger is to throw the meat in the freezer for a little while brfore you grind it. You don't have to freeze it solid just get it crispy. This will enable you to grind it without smearing the fat .

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!