iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Never heard of this.....have Y'all done it?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 24, 2015, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A customer in Columbia, S.C........1 hour and 20 minutes South of me is bringing 60 or more logs. He has already brought 15 nice'ns. All of these straight Loblollys are in the 20 inch range.
He will make several trips with his newly bought 14 foot goose neck trailer with NO FENDERS. 8)

He will be giving me a cut list for the whole kit and caboodle.

Now......when he picks his trailer up, he will head to West Michigan, between Holland and Grand Rapids where he will start a cabin.
He wants all his lumber stacked and stickers on the trailer and he will strap it down.

He will be making several trips to Michigan.

I guess this will work....I've just never done it like this before.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Yes, I have stickered framing lumber on trailers before, but none of it went to Michigan.  He sounds like a good cu$tomer.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shakebone

Sticker it and band it if you can that will keep it tight . I band  mine even if its sitting  on the yard
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

sealark37

Whew!!  When I read the title, I was getting worried about the goat.   Regards, Clark

Larry

Air dried at 70 mph...won't be any mold on that lumber.  What a novel idea. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

NWP

I can't believe you've never heard of a trailer with no fenders.  ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

drobertson

yea, did it for a fellow out of Kansas way with oak,  it works just fine,  good plan there for sure,
I will say, and pretty much know in my mind, you are bragging, don't blame ya, it's a southern thang ;D
lay'em and slay'em,  I'm sure you can hit the numbers, right?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Was told here once before about making sure that a stickered load is tarped for travel.  Otherwise it will dry out way too fast.   So the load got tarped.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Will be interested in seeing the pics of the stickered stacks on the trailer. Cutting all the same length logs, or different lengths?
I'd worry some about the air drying, and the shrinkage, and keeping the straps tight enough that boards don't work loose along the way.  Hope he has a good plan.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Needs to be tarped. That is a lot of harsh drying.
Bill

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Seaman

See now, Jake cut right to the heart of the matter !

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

ozarkgem

Will you be able to get a full load with the stickers making your stack twice as tall? Seems like a good idea.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Brother Been.....yes I'm gonna take pics. If I said I had a poot in a jar, you would wanna see it.  :D
I do not know the length of the logs yet. I only have 15 and they are 10 foot. Some of the other logs should be here this weekend.

CustomSawyer......not gonna use my stickers. Gonna saw his out of his logs. He will take a load....stack and sticker it at the cabin site and come back to S.C.

And about the air flow.......we put fans on our green wood....IMO, I don't think the air flow from a trailer ride will harm the wood at all.

SHAKE BONE.......good idea, I will band it on the trailer then let him strap it.

drobertson........I will BRAG when the job is FINISHED.......yep....its a SOUTHERN THANG.

slider

I just loaded one yesterday that way but it was just going to Florida.The guy has picked up several loaded that way.You just have to check your straps from time to time so things don't get ugly.
al glenn

Ocklawahaboy

SC to MI, that's a lot of states.  Has he checked to make sure the departments of agriculture, DOT, Border patrol, homeland security and school safety patrol are all going to be ok with him bring green lumber through?

Dave Shepard

I've shipped some stickered lumber. I put the straps right on the stickers, and it seems to hold together ok. I know I wouldn't want to ship hardwood green and untarped. A friend of mine used to have a flatbed and all lumber was tarped. Construction lumber always had their own lumber tarps from the mill, and for green lumber he had to use his tarp.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

If it was stickered green grade hardwood, it would destroy the grade from surface check if not covered. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 24, 2015, 09:15:02 PM
A customer in Columbia, S.C........................
He wants all his lumber stacked and stickers on the trailer and he will strap it down.

Sorry, I think I misread this as the lumber being hauled while being stickered.  But seems will be solid stacked with stickers sent along with.  Maybe not the only one to get that impression.
Poston then said
QuoteHe will take a load....stack and sticker it at the cabin site and come back to S.C.

:D If the load isn't stickered while traveling, then you can forget the pics. I was more curious how the stickered load would be stacked and held down. But looks like that isn't a part of the plan. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

Been that's the same impression I got, then again I did not take goat in school so who knows!!  I did have images of a multi wing airplane like contraption heading down the road though!!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DeerMeadowFarm

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: beenthere on March 25, 2015, 10:46:38 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 24, 2015, 09:15:02 PM
A customer in Columbia, S.C........................

Sorry, I think I misread this as the lumber being hauled while being stickered.  But seems will be solid stacked with stickers sent along with.  Maybe not the only one to get that impression.
Poston then said
QuoteHe will take a load....stack and sticker it at the cabin site and come back to S.C.

:D If the load isn't stickered while traveling, then you can forget the pics. I was more curious how the stickered load would be stacked and held down. But looks like that isn't a part of the plan. ;)
I stickered green red oak with 3/4" stickers, a 2x3 on the bottom, and bundled them tight with 3/4 poly straps about every 24".   "Forkable bundles" about 1000#max for easy loading & unloading.  After loading, the trucker put his wide poly straps over the bundles and cranked down on them.  The ratchet handle was about 4' long and he was hanging on it.  Then everything got tarped as shown in the pic above.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Brother Been......my apoligies ......I wrote it wrong.
He wants the lumber stickered ON the trailer while he travels .
I will take pics. This is the first time I'be typed something rong. :D

Tom L

Quote from: Jeff on March 25, 2015, 10:20:10 AM
If it was stickered green grade hardwood, it would destroy the grade from surface check if not covered.

so how big is the cabin going to be?

only a yupper would go to the carolinas for lumber :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!