iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring sawing

Started by Logger003, April 27, 2015, 12:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger003

I really don't like spring. First I had to shovel snow away from the mill cause I don't have a roof over it yet, then I had a slow start but thanks to the great advise I got from everyone here I finally got the mill working. The weather warmed up just enough that the logs were half frozen so I fought with trying to make decent lumber until they were completly thawed out which was just in time for the frost to come out of the ground . Now I only have about a days sawing left but can't do it cause I'm dealing with two foot ruts at the log rollway, and at the lumber piles, the yard away from the mill is covered in water. I just gave up trying to saw and decided to wait for things to dry up. Yesturday we tried it again and got three logs sawed and broke the belt that runs the carriage no big deal but that was Saturday afternoon figured I would pick up new lacing for the belt Monday and woke up to six inches of wet snow on the ground and the mill yard is worse now than what it was cause all the ruts are full of slushy snow. ( should have smoothed out the ruts when I had the chance). So now I will be sitting for at least another week. The goo news is the load of logs I'm expecting is on hold until they can get into the bush again. Sorry for the depressing post but just had to vent, the wife wasn't listening to me belly ache anymore.

Chuck White

I haven't sawn anything yet, probably another 2 weeks or so, everyone's too wet.

Don't have to many jobs lined up, yet.

Sounds like you have had lots of snow through the Winter, the melt is worse than having the snow.

Just be patient and bide your time with other jobs then come back to the mill later.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

It is not only there.  I dodged the rain several times during the past couple of weeks.  I just finished talking with a customer about an ERC job that has been waiting for several months.  The tree length logs were skidded out to a bunching ground, but it is still too wet to get to them with the sawmill.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Things wet here in Missouri, too.  Thinking about ordering a truck load of rock for the mill area.  I feel your pain... especially when the weather is otherwise perfect.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ocklawahaboy

The weather has been beautiful down here in FL.  I feel for y'all in the thawing north.  Of course in a month when it's 99 degrees here, y'all will be enjoying much nicer temps.

Logger003

We'll it looks like this weekend I will be firing the mill up the yard is finally dry enough, I talked to the guy that's supposed to haul some more logs and he won't be hauling out if the bush for at least another month( still to wet to get in) he doesn't want to beat the hell out of his truck, can't say I blame him. We decided to finish what we have in the yard, then start building the roof over the mill and lay down some gravel in the mill yard then the weather shouldn't bother us as much

Thank You Sponsors!