iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found the next victim

Started by hackberry jake, May 11, 2015, 07:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I found a red oak yesterday that didn't make new leaves this year. About 40" diameter or so. I need to have @RPowers come out and quarter it with his CSM. I'll try to drop it sometime this month and see if its solid inside.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice tree but it makes you look older.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

drobertson

Not sure about your area, but very few over 20" red oak around here are solid through and through.  the beetles, bores and such will take the life out of them.  I had a forester come through last week and make an assessment on my timber for a cost share improvement action.  Lots of flagging on the red oak, and some white oak, which I already knew, but wanted a professional report.  There will be some quality boards and some with lots of desirable worm holes.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gfadvm

Is that a blackjack? Bark looks like it. Our dead blackjacks have some beautiful color but most that big are hollow. Hope yours is solid with no big black ants in residence.

WDH

I thought that it was a blackjack oak, too.  Knobby bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

#3 on the Blackjack.  It will have color you may not believe but it doesn't behave as nice as red oak.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

The ones down here retain the limbs even after they are dead, and they are bad knotty.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Bad picture, but most of the limbs have fell off. I dont know all of my oaks other than red or white...

I should've been on the other side of the tree.

JB Griffin

4x on blackjack on count of the knarly bark. It's MURDER on saw chains, but I've never sawed(milled) any.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

hackberry jake

Ive been doing some research on blackjack oak and most sites say they are small, short lived trees living under the canopy of other trees... I'm glad you guys know better. I just hope it looks like larrys blackjack! Wholly cow!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mad murdock

That will be worth the work I bet.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 12, 2015, 12:06:24 AM
Wow x2

and if it would stay that way after drying Wow x1000000.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

shortlogger

just south of Fort Smith there is large amounts of Blackjacks we cut a Place just East of greenwood where 90 percent of the trees were Blackjacks most were solid but I hate all the little dead rock hard limbs all over them and the also have really hard bark but they often have some neat woodgrain designs 
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

hackberry jake

mesquite buckeye

If'n you're lookin' for pretty wood, ya gotta put up with the extra work. (old saying') ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

teed

On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

shortlogger

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

woodyone.john

And Wow from along way away!
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Alligator

Please post pictures once you saw that log!
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

hackberry jake

That was a picture of one of Larrys logs. I still havent felled mine. Im afraid it would float away if I felled it now. We've got about a foot of rain in a week.

Thank You Sponsors!