iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you cut out of this?

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 17, 2015, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

What? No picture of a log or crotch to be cut into boards, slabs, 2X stock, gunstocks, etc?

Nope, that is the question I keep getting from customers.

Customers keep asking me what I'd cut out of their logs. My standard reply, assuming they are good straight logs, is "Whatever I needed?" I can and do advise them if a log will not cut out certain things (Kind of hard to get a bunch of 2X10's out of f 8" logs). I will tell them it would make good 1X sheeting or 2X framing if appropriate but the decision has to be theirs

Do you get lots of customers who want you to make the decision for them? I expected the customers to have prepared a cut list of  their preferences or their minimum needs but I seem to attract people who have no idea what they want.

Is that common with you guys? If so how do you address their questions?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

That question has popped up from time to time, but more often it's asked how many boards will come from a given log, such as they need 2x6's and need to know how many boards to expect.  I also often get nice cut lists, but again I get the request to just saw out what I can.  Most folks that come with figured wood to saw, generally tell me what they would like to see, and then say to me saw it the best way I know how, so, really I just saw and do the best I can for them. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

I guess if it were some unique log with special features I could understand the question more but I'm talking about what I consider normal, standard logs with no particular unusual features.

Its like they suddenly have a few logs on the ground and now they don't know what to do with them.

As often as not I have a predetermined need before I cut a tree and look for the tree that will fill that need then cut to the lengths that will fill that need.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gww

I am new enough to ask a question like that.  In fact I basically did ask that question on my sawmill build thread.  I am cutting wood and due to the fact that it needs some drying time before use and I don't have a spicific use in mind I guess the question should be for people who build and should be "What board if you could only pick one is most handy to have on hand and how long should it be?)  The answer I came up for myself is a two by as wide as I can cut it.  I figure to use the mill or table saw to cut down later.  For lenght, I can only cut about 13 feet so I try for 12 feet.  I was cutting 8 feet cause the logs were easeir to handle but thought even on a small build the eves would need more.  I find I get one bys if I want my diminsions to come out.  It is going to be funny when I go to do something and have to buy boards cause I can't figure out how to make a two by into a one by and don't have enough. 

It is hard to know what you need around if you don't plan what you want a year ahead.  I understand the customers delema if they don't want to lose their logs to fire wood but don't have a spicific plan.

Is there a best answer?
gww

fishfighter

Cutting for myself and not knowing what I need, I cut a lot of 2 bys as wide as I can and as long as I can. I can always come back and rip them. 8)

zopi

I am on the way to tue lumber yard to buy a bunch of lumber.

No clue what I am building...

No clue what I am buying.

No. Clue.

Gimme six foot 4x4 and 1x6....at least it will make rail fence.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

drobertson

I've always said waste not want not (old saying)  but really, after sawing a few logs of varying quality ya kinda get to know what to expect from a log.   Some folks just need some encouragement, after all they really don't know, ya know?  I say just saw if there is no list and make the good from it, a sawyers judgment should never be under estimated in my view. ( if they have some notches in the belt) of course.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

VTwoodworker

I think that people want to be educated when they make a purchase or in this case have logs sawn.  For the same reason we may ask a 17 year old kid at Best Buy what kind of TV to purchase, folks with logs often lack even basic knowledge about how logs become lumber or what species are best suited for.

Education is an important part of customer service and people will pay for it.  The value of my time to educate customers is built into the prices that I charge.

Verticaltrx

I don't do any custom milling, but I do occasionally mill some extra lumber for use around the farm, just to have on hand (no specific use).

Generally I cut 8, 10, and 12 foot lumber in 2x6, 2x8, and 1" random width. The 2x8 can later be ripped for 2x4s if needed, and I find these sizes cover most building projects. If you have larger logs 2x12s are good too as they can be ripped into different standard sizes later.

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

gww

V
I like your thinking.  I don't have big trees but if I can get a ten or eleven inch wide board, I usually try to cut it knowing that I might have a lot of extra waste if I cut it down later.  My wife likes the raised bed garden and most of mine are around 10 to 12 inches high and it is the one thing I seem to ad a couple of every year.  My one constant thing.  I think you have it about right for general use boards.  My cedar is all small and I have been cutting it mostly in one by configuration.
Cheers
gww

WV Sawmiller

Thx for the input.

I guess I was expecting the customer to have a particular project for which he already had a predetermined needs list we could work from and am finding often they just have logs they don't want to see go to waste but don't know what they will need in the future.

I guess the best advice I can give the customer is to recommend we cut as wide 1X & 2X stock as his logs will provide so he can rip it into smaller lumber later if needed.
Howard Green

gww

I have zero experience making a paying customer happy but unless one of the real experienced members here, who do make customers happy, chimes in, I would think that advice would be on the mark.

Good luck
gww

Nomad

I get a lot of homeowner jobs where the client says "just cut whatever you think is best."  I HATE it when that happens!  Please, PLEASE give me an idea what you want from this log.  I can do what you want, but I can't read your mind.  I won't do it.  I'll stand there looking stupid and making suggestions until he gives me an idea of what he wants.  Even if it's only a clueless guess, it's something I can discuss with him and we can go from there.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Joe Hillmann

I have a pile of logs I want to get cut up.  At the moment I have no plans for the lumber so I am cutting most everything into 1" minus the saw cut or live edge siding or if I think it will make grade , framing lumber.  I figure those are the sizes I will have a use for or will be able to sell in the future.

Thank You Sponsors!