iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Highly Valuable Black Walnut Tree

Started by DR_Buck, October 12, 2016, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Today I got one of those inquiries to see if I was interested in buying a highly valuable black walnut tree. 

Here it is.....

This is what came to mind right away.    :D   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgQHWQoatg

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sandsawmill14

300 bucks  :D :D :D

just wondering if you could catch that many bucks what would you do with them ??? ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Looks like a great deal.After you chip the brush and haul away all the bigger limbs too. And fix the lawn after you drove across it.  ::)
I betcha they forgot to tell you about the clothesline pulley that run from that tree 20 years ago too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

My first thought I will with hold,  my second thought was how many more in that nice area?  Third thought, do we really make fun of folks? Just asking, so many are just misinformed, plane and simple, even worse, maybe going through a rough time, the swindlers show cards soon enough,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

i was sorta serious on the price :) that tree would make lowest grade log worth about $1 bdft here the butt has a knot,burl, something grew in it or something about 1/2 up the trunk on left side but it is walnut so it has fair value but not highly valuable by any means :) :) with nothing to compare to for size comparison i guessed it at roughly 300 bdft ;)

red

Not sure why you passed up on such a good opportunity.  But maybe this fine gentleman has a good supply of Snake Oil ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Greyhound

Hah!  That cartoon never ceases to be hilarious! :D :D :D  I'd quote a charge of $1500 to remove the tree.  More if they want the stump ground.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Okrafarmer

It partly depends how rare walnut is in your area. I would be glad to give $1/bf for the logs of that tree, if someone dropped them off at my mill. If it is, as it looks like in the picture, over 18" dbh.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

paul case

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 12, 2016, 10:39:19 PM
It partly depends how rare walnut is in your area. I would be glad to give $1/bf for the logs of that tree, if someone dropped them off at my mill. If it is, as it looks like in the picture, over 18" dbh.

Same.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

5quarter

I fall out every time I see that cartoon... :D :D :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Brad_bb

Love that cartoon.  The problem is that there are so many people that are misinformed with the urban legend that it is frustrating to deal with so often and gets in a way of making a reasonable deal again and again.
    I had someone contact me about a "highly valuable" yard tree next to a garage and some wires.  He wasn't happy when I informed him of the actual value and what it would take to get it down.  I think he thought I was a crook trying to rip him off.  I passed.  That was a couple years ago.  Just the other day I saw them taking that house down to extend the shopping center.  They had to pay a tree service to take the walnut down and they cut it into short chunks and sent it to the grinder.

I'll saw a yard walnut, but I'm not paying over $1/bf doyle. and I'm not taking it down AND paying for it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sandsawmill14

does anyone know what the actual price is for good walnut  ??? i mean FAS grade  its so rare around here that i have no idea but i know of 3 trees (not for sale though) that are 30+ inches and the butts are clear for 12-14 ft  :o  trees like these are rare here  :)  the one thing that worries me is that the trees were panted in 1949 by my granddad (the year they move to the farm) and they just seem to big for the age but i dont know how fast the should grow  :P what do you guys think ???

Okrafarmer

The size is about right for fertile soil-- that would be 1/4 inch growth rings at 1/2 inch diameter growth per year, which I'd say is very normal for Tennessee.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sandsawmill14

WDH

Price for FAS black walnut, tractor trailer load quantity F.O.B sawmill is $4100 per thousand or $4.10 per board foot per the Hardwood Market Report.  That is for rough sawn, kiln dried stock.  It is highly valuable. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on October 13, 2016, 08:46:02 PM
Price for FAS black walnut, tractor trailer load quantity F.O.B sawmill is $4100 per thousand or $4.10 per board foot per the Hardwood Market Report.  That is for rough sawn, kiln dried stock.  It is highly valuable.

Yes, but what for the logs themselves? $2/bf?

sandsawmill14

i was thinking 2.50-3.00 $ a bdft doyle :) but ONLY on select logs  ;)

sandsawmill14

$3 is probably a bit much for the logs if selling green lumber but paying good for the butts will get you more logs and it will be rare to get a FAS log around here anyway  :)

Okrafarmer

I've had a few FAS walnut logs here. FAS really is not that hard to come by, it's just that you have to take a lot of knotty walnut to get it. I've always sold it retail, and found that even the junk walnut is worth milling.

sandsawmill14

no such thing as junk walnut just high grade and low grade :D :D :D

wesdor

2 years ago a neighbor complained that a local sawmill was trying to rip him off. He had two highly valuable walnut trees in his yard that he had cut down. The sawmill owner had offered him $50 each for the trees.  Neighbor thought they should be worth at least 10 times that ! 

I told him I would pick them up and saw them for free if he helped.  When I went to pick them up I found that he had sawed them about 24" above the ground.  They were maybe 14" diameter and mostly sap wood.  We sawed everything and when it was finished, he looked at me and said, "maybe that guy wasn't cheating me like I thought."  I just smiled.
I think that was what is called a teachable moment. 

stavebuyer

Quote from: WDH on October 13, 2016, 08:46:02 PM
Your quoting KD 8/4 FAS. Green 1C in 8/4 is $1.57. Green 4/4 1C is $1.27 and 2A is $.715. Delivered to a mill in KY that tree would do well to average $1 in the log.

Thank You Sponsors!