iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some help IDing a few trees

Started by Snag, March 16, 2006, 02:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

Snag, your description of the wood sounds right for hickory. The wood once cut will be mostly sort of light brown or tan. Seems like there should be some other trees near by with the same bark. If there is you could get a twig off one of those to make a positive ID. We have a lot of bitternut hickory in our woods and when looking at the picture you posted my first thought was that it was bitternut hickory.

OLD_ JD

here some info about bitternut hickory :)

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=18

if we are taking about the same tree  look on my splitting processor ,that bitturnut hick ;) hope that can help   JD

canadien forest ranger

SwampDonkey

JD old boy, I hope that was a very poor shaped tree to cut it for firewood. They wouldn't be all that common in southern Quebec or Ontario.  :o :o

I almost lost my breath and just about with heart failure.  ::)  ;)

Wish I could get some seed from your area this fall, I'de love to start a little grove. Be something to fool these jokers at Forestry Canada, the only viable stand of bitternut hickory in NB. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Snag

Well, didint get to saw it up yet.  Too much pine that had to be done.  I do have some others around, I will get some bud pics of them shortly.  Here is a pic of the end of the log.  You will see a 16" chunk of it on the ground.  The neighbor got a little over zealous with his saw. :(  Anyway.  Thanks for all the info and help.  I will post pics of the grain and buds in the near future.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

You will be able to tell, just by picking up the chunks.  If it were ash, it would be lighter then oak, if its hickory, as soon as you grab a chunk the firt thing that goes through your head is "This is heavy!" :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Ditto on the hickory.  My first job in the business was scaling logs.  No buds, no limbs, no leaves.  I would tell by bark and what the ends look like.  Ash would have a lot lighter heart, and the heart wouldn't be that wide.  Tulip poplar would have a green heart.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!