iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain and bar selection

Started by Greenhorn89, January 05, 2019, 11:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenhorn89

Okay guys my first post here. I have a husqvarna 440e chainsaw with its original 18" bar and chain. To my great excitement I was given an Alaskan MKIV saw mill for Christmas. With my 18" bar I can only mill about a 12" log. Now here is my question/s. I have heard that you can go to a full skip chain and run a longer bar because of the amount of cutting teeth or lack thereof. Is this true? I already understand I have a smaller saw and it's a bit underpowered but it's what I have for now. Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction.

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum, you are in good hands here. Unfortunately the answer to your question is no as .325 chain is not available in skip tooth. That saw is more than a bit underpowered for what you want to do, try milling some small logs and see how it handles.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

offrink

You can cross cut a log easier than milling it. One reason is that the sawdust/chips don't come out of the cut as easier so there is more friction. Plus I noticed on your photo that you possibly have the clamp on the tip of the saw to far forward. The sprocket on the tip of the bar may get the metal around it compressed and wear the sprocket and increase the drag. Also use very sharp chains. Since you have a smaller saw I would let it take a break after each cut so that it can cool down. 

richhiway

Order a ripping chain from Granberg for your saw. They work well. You will find it is important to keep the chain sharp. Buy a file guide or a electric sharpener from them also. You have to keep the chain even and it is hard to do by free hand with a file. Ripping chain has a 10 deg. tooth angle, regular chain is 25 or 30 deg. 
If you look at my older posts you will see a lot of info.

Have fun.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Greenhorn89

Okay I bought an 18" Granberg today online. I'll keep my husqy it's good for every day Farm stuf. I've even cut down some sizeable trees with it. I'll eventually look into a larger saw......one day

thecfarm

Greenhorn89,welcome to the forum.
I have never seen a chainsaw mill ran. But good luck with your mill. What little I know about sawing,Go Big!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cbla

your 440 is not going to like milling. with that size saw stick with small softwood.

Thank You Sponsors!