iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perspective

Started by kderby, November 28, 2011, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

Well I missed the first day of elk season.  Then I missed the last day of elk season.  I did not get an elk and feel like I went to the beach and it rained. Still, I learned some perspective.  I feel stronger from climbing the hills.  I was into elk several times but did not connect.  I saw a variety of wildlife and tracks.  I took long breaks overlooking a beautiful landscape.  The perspective learned is that it will still be there when I am ready.  I missed the first day because I was just not ready to go.  I stayed home and took care of business.  Then, I missed the last day because I was ready to be home.  I got home in the daylight and put things away at a comfortable pace.  The mountain was wonderful.  The time hunting was about "hunting" and not "getting."  I  enjoyed the entire experience and am looking for the next opportunity.  I do not feel sad for what I missed (meat), I feel happy for what I experienced.  The mountain, the elk, the sunshine are all still there.

Most of my neighbors "get" elk from the local hayfields.  I "hunt" in a remote roadless area.  I am still learning how to do that successfully.  I do not get an elk every time and then drive right to it.  My hunting experience is different.  It is quite powerful to cover so much area while seeing many wonderful aspects of nature.  It is hard to admit to local folk that I did not get an elk.  The local expectation is that "we" all get our elk.  I sure hope I get an elk next time.  The experience this time was about hunting and not getting.  What an experience it is.

Kderby

beenthere

Good to hear about your enjoyable hunt.

That pretty well sums up my experience elk hunting as well.  :)
A great time all around. At about 11,000 ft 9 miles packing in CO twice and 12 days in N. Idaho.

Where were you hunting?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I hear you and share your sentiments kderby.  Since 1973, I have made over 30 trips to Wyoming and Colorado.  Some years I get a bull, some I don't.  10 months and 3 weeks from now I'll be back again.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kderby

Hunting on the south slope of the Aldrich Mountains in the middle of Oregon.  Good elk habitat and strong numbers of elk.  I would like to know if the elk numbers / per unit of area are similar to other areas like CO or MT.  Mixed pine and fir with juniper and mahogany on the south exposed ridges.  Lots of bull and buck rubbed trees and a few wallows.  Saw cougar tracks on one afternoon.  Saw a coyote pair.  Supposedly a wolf was in the area but we did not see sign.

Oregon is re-introducing wolves.  Not a good idea in my book.

I have a better than average harvest history.  I hunt pretty hard and believe in the mantra, "Talent Skill Persistance Luck."  It is new to me, not getting one.  I guess these things happen.

Magicman I enjoy your posts about your epic journey.  Thanks for your response.

Kderby

Sprucegum

After a season hunting with a brother-in-law who never got out of the truck I put away my rifle and became a hiker. I see more game and enjoy more scenery and have no need to "explain" what I missed.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!