iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Cabin tear down?

Started by Lazy logger, February 08, 2015, 06:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy logger

I have been offered a 24' x 28' Log cabin for free if I tear it down.
I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure how it's assembled. Before I travel Has anyone out there ever torn down and rebuilt a cabin? I have the equipment but it seems like alot of work. Any opinions appreciated.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

Peter Drouin

Be awere of free. :D :D Get some pics.and look for rot on the corners of the cabin, and around the windows
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

Are you looking for a log cabin ??  or just sounds like being free it is a good deal?

Depends on how it was put together. If rods were pounded in to hold the logs together than the logs may be relatively difficult to separate them from each other.

Will be interested to see what you find out, and what condition it is in. Number of years standing would be good info to have as well. Good luck with the project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

Go put your hands on it BEFORE you said Yes or No.  Then you will have a chance to say No if its a mess.

NOTE:  Didn't happen if there are no pictures!

Bruce

boscojmb

I disassembled, moved, and reassembled a log cabin about 10 years ago.
It went well, BUT this particular cabin was (kind of) built so that it could be taken apart. It was pegged together with wooden pegs and had only thin strips of insulation in between the logs.

If it had been assembled with 12" countersunk spikes, liquid nails in between the logs, and then chinked with ??, I never would have attempted it.

Is your (potential) cabin built from 3 sided logs, 2 sided logs, or round logs?

In my opinion,
A cabin built from round logs would be the best candidate to disassemble and move, 2 sided logs would be second.
3 Sided logs are easy to make and build with, but will take just as much time as round logs to disassemble.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Lazy logger

Quote from: beenthere on February 08, 2015, 07:53:25 PM
Are you looking for a log cabin ??  or just sounds like being free it is a good deal?

Depends on how it was put together. If rods were pounded in to hold the logs together than the logs may be relatively difficult to separate them from each other.

Will be interested to see what you find out, and what condition it is in. Number of years standing would be good info to have as well. Good luck with the project.

Not really looking it just came up. I have seen some pics of it but they are not good enough to make the call. I will go and look but I am swaying towards not getting involved unless it's really nice. I will post pics, if I don't get it maybe someone here will want it.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

Lazy logger

Quote from: boscojmb on February 08, 2015, 09:57:06 PM
I disassembled, moved, and reassembled a log cabin about 10 years ago.
It went well, BUT this particular cabin was (kind of) built so that it could be taken apart. It was pegged together with wooden pegs and had only thin strips of insulation in between the logs.

If it had been assembled with 12" countersunk spikes, liquid nails in between the logs, and then chinked with ??, I never would have attempted it.

Is your (potential) cabin built from 3 sided logs, 2 sided logs, or round logs?

In my opinion,
A cabin built from round logs would be the best candidate to disassemble and move, 2 sided logs would be second.
3 Sided logs are easy to make and build with, but will take just as much time as round logs to disassemble.
It looks like round logs saddle notched corners. Not sure about spikes or not.
I think it will be too much work for me at this time anyway. I've got enough projects on my list now. Thanks for the input.

jander3

If you disassemble, make sure you mark the logs and record your method.  Scribed log work only goes back together one way. 

Lazy logger

jander3,  Did you build this? Looks good. I have been thinking about building one for a house. I have some really nice cedar some are 20 inches at the base. I'm just not sure yet, Mostly because of the insulation factor. -15 degrees here now.

jander3

Lazy logger

Very nice! The scribework looks great.

beenthere

Jon
Good to see a pic of the 'ol cabin again.  Any snow around it these days? or is it like the mpls area with little to none?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!