iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Own three chain saws if possible.

Started by aquacanis, October 01, 2011, 11:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

When mechanical harvesting replaced me back in my logging days, the company gave me a job at the lumber division. 
I missed the bush so I got into firewood as a side job.
Bought a 1965 Ford 800 dump truck, brand new Stihl 066-28" and timber permits to cut on crown land.

The 066 did it all in larger birch. Felling, limbing, bucking and splitting. 
That saw noodle split the 18" long rounds right on the spot where the trees felled and I threw the wood into the truck box. Delivered it to my customer with enough time to make afternoon shift at the mill.
Weekends were off at the mill with 8 hour day and afternoon shifts.
Life was good then with the 066.

Until I did my first residential tree removal job for a customer.  Then the light bulb switched on in my head.
;D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mike_belben

I honestly try to do nearly all limbing with a tophandle, atleast until im at major limbs.  Free hand grabs and throws while the saw hand cuts.  Its pretty fast and im never tromping around in brush piled up with both hands on a saw. Theres always that free hand to grab something if i get tipsy.

In the woods i chop stuff down quite fine at each node so it lays flat and mulches quick.  Much of this is 2" diameter or smaller.   Tophandle is fine, like being an arborist on the ground.  
Praise The Lord

Tin Horse

Quote from: mike_belben on March 25, 2018, 10:53:18 PM
I honestly try to do nearly all limbing with a tophandle, atleast until im at major limbs.  Free hand grabs and throws while the saw hand cuts.  Its pretty fast and im never tromping around in brush piled up with both hands on a saw. Theres always that free hand to grab something if i get tipsy.

In the woods i chop stuff down quite fine at each node so it lays flat and mulches quick.  Much of this is 2" diameter or smaller.   Tophandle is fine, like being an arborist on the ground.  
This method matches my work exactly! I love the top handle as described :)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

starmac

I can see switching saws if you are cutting little limbs, or using a 90 cu saw to fell. A 372 size is customary around here, and nobody messes with anything under 6 inches, so not much limb cutting at all.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

Yes,I have 2 saws on me in the woods. As I posted my 372 and the Efco. That little Efco has really done wonders for my shoulder. I really only do firewood now. Yes,I hope to be doing some logging for a building this summer. Thar Efco is a light saw and the pain in my shoulder is no where as bad now. I had no idea. :o  Most of my cutting is done with the efco now. I cut mostly small trees for firewood. I cut the big trees down with the 372,cut up logs,or the bigger wood,than grab the efco to cut the limbs off. The limbs come out for firewood too. I wished I would of got a smaller saw 30 years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hank_612

I would have 

346xp/550xp 16 or 18 x 325 limbing and light stuff.
562xp 18 or 20 x 375 
372xp/572xp 20 or 24 x 375

The 50cc is handy for hauling on the sxs, limbing, or general purpose stuff. My current 346xp would be even better with a laminate 325 bar. I run 375 on everything just because I don't feel like sharpening different chains.
The 60cc saw is my all round firewood saw and 18 inch bar covers 80% of my firewood cutting. 
I want a 70cc saw to backup my 562 and for the 20% of the firewood felling and bucking I can't do with a 18 inch bar. My father in law has a 372 and I think it is overkill for my needs but that isn't going to keep me from buying a 572xp when they come out. 
Husky 562XP   346XP    326P5X
Johnson Energy J9000     Lennox Monticito Estate
JD 3720       40 ton log splitter

John Mc

Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 25, 2018, 09:47:13 PM
I usually just run my 2172s for everything and I have enough kicking around (4 or5)that I can rob parts if needed to keep going. I found that once I got used to the weight it didn't really bother me running it all day vs a smaller saw
That worked for me when I was 30. Not so well as I'm approaching 60, especially since I don't do it regularly. If you don't do it at all for an extended period, then got at it like crazy for a week or even a few days, "Weekend Warrior Syndrome" tends to catch up to you. I don;t bounce back from that syndrome as quickly as I used to.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on March 28, 2018, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 25, 2018, 09:47:13 PM
I usually just run my 2172s for everything and I have enough kicking around (4 or5)that I can rob parts if needed to keep going. I found that once I got used to the weight it didn't really bother me running it all day vs a smaller saw
That worked for me when I was 30. Not so well as I'm approaching 60, especially since I don't do it regularly. If you don't do it at all for an extended period, then got at it like crazy for a week or even a few days, "Weekend Warrior Syndrome" tends to catch up to you. I don;t bounce back from that syndrome as quickly as I used to.

My hands start to get soft when I take a month off work.  :laugh:

Rebarb

I too am pushing 60 so my back trumps any logic.

I still love to cut but now my biggest felling saw has been reduced to 50cc 18" bar......if i can't lift it, i ain't cutt'n it.

But i do carry 3 saws everytime out....38cc 14" Johnsered/ 40cc 16" Husqvarna and 50cc 18" ECHO. 

Nothing worse then pinching one and not having a rescue saw.....or worse yet and something that really pisses me off....hitting a rock.

wild262

Sounds like were all born in the "baby boomers era"  I'll be 59 in a month.  Up till 2 yrs ago my main "go to" saw was a 60cc.  I find myself now taking out my 35-50cc saws more.  The days I feel "extra bulletproof", I work on my butt cuts, and large rounds with my 372's.  But that's not very often.    Now days for me the 60cc saw is becoming not so useful. To big for limbing, and not big enough for the other cuts.  :(

HolmenTree

Yep getting up in age does remind one self to have second thoughts more often.
Knock on wood my back has always been good but I did get some good advice years ago from a veteran fellow logger. He told me   "never wear a leather belt no matter whether your working or sitting at home.
Wear elastic suspenders or a stretchy elastic belt."
So for the last 30 years I took his advice and glad I did.
Walmart sells good ones for about $10.

straincm

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 29, 2018, 10:57:35 AMnever wear a leather belt no matter whether your working or sitting at home. Wear elastic suspenders or a stretchy elastic belt."

Is there a reason behind this? The only reason that comes to mind would be; does elastic make a better tourniquet than leather?

Banjo picker

Theres always that free hand to grab something if i get tipsy.

Now Mike you shouldn't be getting tipsy and then run a chain saw.   ;)  

Also if you don't have or can't take 3 saws with to the woods, at least take an extra chain and bar.  I have had to take the head off while the saw was stuck in a log before.  I also do that if I get a bar pinched taking a tree down.  Don't risk messing up a saw head.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

HolmenTree

Quote from: straincm on March 29, 2018, 11:05:31 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on March 29, 2018, 10:57:35 AMnever wear a leather belt no matter whether your working or sitting at home. Wear elastic suspenders or a stretchy elastic belt."

Is there a reason behind this? The only reason that comes to mind would be; does elastic make a better tourniquet than leather?
Pull hard enough and it will make a fine tourniquet plus endless supply of holes to lock off.
It's a no brainer when you think how a leather belt doesn't give to movement at the base of your spine. Putting all kinds of stress on your spine during regular bending, twisting etc movements. 

mike_belben

Quote from: Banjo picker on March 29, 2018, 11:22:04 AM
Theres always that free hand to grab something if i get tipsy.

Now Mike you shouldn't be getting tipsy and then run a chain saw.   ;)  
Well, ive always got the 4 year old with me.  Incase i need someone to hold my beer. 
Praise The Lord

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

JJinAK

Great thread!  I currently have an MS362 as my "small" saw, and an MS461 as my large one.  I flip between 20" and 25" bars on the 362, and I keep a 28" on the 461.  I like a longer bar so I don't have to bend over as much.

My next saw- thanks to Willard- is going to be the 261. 
MS461
MS362

weimedog

Problem with these threads is there are a gazillion combinations that work and this is a moving target....so how about a "3 for 3". Three real to me situations with my solutions from my garage...not theoretical. LAST Year and for now.....by next year this will look a little different by a saw or two is my guess. AND my three saws usually are in these classes...primary for the task at hand (vs. small), bucking, and for fun. Except when its work, then its Primary Saw (For the job), Big saw, backup saw.

1) Working with Bob (Spike 60) OR any real work where efficiency and production matters....OFF video & OFF the farm. :)
Husqvarna 560HTSS  (UOMS), Husqvarna 390xp (JPS), A Husqvarna 372xp OE in some form, now a XPW
2) Me just Kickin back in the woods with Saw work the main reason to get out there...
Husqvarna 560HTSS (UOMS), Farmertec 660 "Farmer Jones Build" (Favorite "Just For Fun" Saw BTW), Husqvarna 562xp Stock Build or What ever Project Saw just got finished.
3) Vintage Saw & Hobby Saw / Firewood Ops
Husqvarna 560HTSS (UOMS), Jonsered 920 (HTSS), What ever Vintage Project Saw Just Got Finished...:)

NOW there is a lineage for the "Primary" saw ....BEFORE the 560 UOMS, it was a 562HTSS.
Before the 562HTSS it was a 372 with a Huztl 52mm cylinder (Cyclops)
Before "Cyclops" it was a 371/372 build, Before that it was a 920......and even further back is was a Homelite 925...

Message? Change is good. Getting Old isn't. So ever lighter and less vibrations rule the day...:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

weimedog

HTSS Hill Top Saw Shop, UOMS Ultimate Old Man Saw. :)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

John Mc

... and where did you get your hands on a Husqvarna 560 in the US?

weimedog

HolmenTree

Same way I switched my 562XP over to a 560 small 7 spline sprocket drum to run 7T 8T .325 rims and retain the large Husqvarna 9.0mm bar stud pattern to use my common Husqvarna bars and a larger oil tank over the 560XP
With the 7T .325 rim sprocket my 562 pulls a Stihl 28" 23RS chain with authority. And 16",18",20", 22",24" b/c works great for backup too. ;D

brianJ

The best thing to know is not to start,  Do not even try.   Addictions drive you crazy.   One chainsaw is too many.    One more chainsaw is never enough. ;D      My name is Brian and I am on probation.

mike_belben

Its all a consequence of disposable income. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!