iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Own three chain saws if possible.

Started by aquacanis, October 01, 2011, 11:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I wasn't trying to knock his skills. I'm sure he's great at what he does. I just can't see trudging through the woods with 23 pounds of saw (and that's just PHO. no fuel, oil, bar & chain). There's not much timber cutting in the east that requires 119cc / 8.4 Hp of saw (when you say trudging through the woods all day, I'm assuming he's not using it for milling, or bucking things up on the landing.) If he wasn't in great shape to start with, he will be after a couple weeks of cutting with that saw.

I'll admit, I'm at the opposite extreme. I tend to carry the lighter saws, and shorter bars. I figure I'd rather carry less weight around all day, even if it means I have to go at the occasional tree from both sides to get it down.

Sounds as though your friend is in his low 30's? Maybe I'd be lugging heavier if I were 15+ years younger. Then again, I've got some nagging neck and upper back injuries (wrestling in High School and College) that get aggravated by sawing - the heavier the saw, the worse it gets.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WDH

Wrestling in High School aggravated me too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

John, I knew your were not knocking him. and yes he is in his late 30,s we where logging an old junk yard and in the back where some monster white and red oaks 36" small ends. so carrying around big saw,s was a must. and by the end of the day I was beat. his ego had a little to do with it(bigger saw syndrome) but he taught himself a lesson when he pinched his saw bucking a white oak, and had to grab mine to release his,said this thing feels like a toy,until he fired it up and ran it turned around to me and said this does everything mine does but weighs half.( all I did was smile) didnt want to bruise his ego to bad. he learned that a scalpel is better than an axe. still to this day when we work together I ask where,s the 3120? he say,s collecting dust on the bench. Tim

acco1840

Yep. Three saws. One you are using, One in the shop getting fixed and the other one somewhere between! :D

John Mc

Quote from: acco1840 on October 09, 2011, 10:30:40 PM
Yep. Three saws. One you are using, One in the shop getting fixed and the other one somewhere between! :D

What about the one stuck in the tree?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

acco1840

Forgot about that one!! That's where you need 2 bars for the same saw.......unbolt the powerhead, leave the bar in the cut...... :D

T Welsh

Had a friend get one stuck in a tree, he came back the next day to find a bar stuck in a tree!(reminder) take the power head off. Tim

aquacanis

Yup,  I got my 55 rancher hung up about 5 years ago.  I was just beside a dirt road dead end.  I red flagged the tree and took the head off.  Last time I ever cut with one saw.  Period.  Drove 38 miles to get my other saw and had a friend come up with his saw also to
finish fell the tree.  Amazing what happens when you try to fell alone with one saw!!

Knute

3 saws is a good idea. You may get 2 stuck in the same log as I did once.

BobbyG

Being a "non-professional" I own

Husqvarna 345
Husqvarna 455
Jonsered CS2255

mad murdock

I have a couple huskys and a poulan wildthing with me most the time along with a few axes and a hand saw, just in case.  Not to mention a stable of runners in the shed, McCulloch 10-10's and other larger 10 series saws mostly. Can never have too many!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

wild262

I have a truck load of saws myself.  But, I repair and re-sell as a sideline hobby.  Being late 50's in age, I tend to favor lighter weight saws as well.  Just makes more since.  With major back surgery and just last week knee repair, I don't run my 2094 Jonny very much.  Just when bucking big stumps, or when a friend has a big tree to drop.  Most of my personal saws are a 192 rear handle Stihl,  a ported 346OE, and a couple of 60cc saws, 555, and 1989 262xp.   Yes I have qwite a gap there between a 60 & the 95cc, but it suits my wood size just right.  Its enjoyment for me to get out in the woods to cut my firewood, use a log splitter, tinker, and cut cookies from time to time.  The way my health is going, may not have many years left. ::)

Tin Horse

At one point ,years ago I ran a Homelite 922. My only saw and could go all day. Now with 3 saws and my favorite is the Husqvarna arbourist saw. I now switch only by necessity for tree size. It's all about the weight of the saws now.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

teakwood

I have to agree with Spike. three saw is a must, 50-70-90cc is a good range.

i don't see the needs for a smaller saw than 50cc, such as my MS260, they are pretty light.

260, 361, 361, 066 is my combo, waiting for the MS462 release.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

when you got 2 saws stuck you need a third saw

teakwood

i don't owe saws that won't run. they get fixed quick or replaced by a new one, period!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

knuckledragger

Im like the NCfarmboy 60-70 saws, that's an estimate. It's the nature of building fraunk-n-Steen saws. I'm not sure I'm a professional. The older I get the more I need to learn, however, I am paid for tree removal. If that is the requirement for being called a pro I may be one. The main stays for me; 064 "36, 044 "24 or 372xp "24, ms170 "16. Fraunk-n-Steen saws need at least two and sometimes three tanks of fuel run thru them before I am comfortable giving the saw away. At times I have five-six saws in the truck. Seems overkill? If you are putting food on the table or putting an offspring thru college via a chainsaw a good rule of thumb is: It's better to have a saw and not need it than need a saw and not have it.

Woodcutter_Mo

For my personal use I have an 024 for limbing and usually toss it on the 4 wheeler when I'm checking the fences. My main 2 saws are my 455 Rancher and the 372xp. 
 About the only thing that holds me back from having more saws is the possibility of buying a newer pickup truck in the somewhat near future. If it weren't for that I'd have more saws than what I have room for.  ;D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Ron Scott

I agree with the 3 saws approach. I learned some time ago that 3 saws are a must. I never go to the woods for a day's sawing with less that 3 saws in the back of the pickup. They are of varying size, small, medium and large.
~Ron

starmac

Do you guys really drop a tree, then switch to a smaller saw to limb it. I will generally carry 2 saws when I go cut, but one is a backup. The only time I ever carry 3 with me is when I want to try one out or put some time on it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Maine logger88

I usually just run my 2172s for everything and I have enough kicking around (4 or5)that I can rob parts if needed to keep going. I found that once I got used to the weight it didn't really bother me running it all day vs a smaller saw 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on March 25, 2018, 09:34:47 PM
Do you guys really drop a tree, then switch to a smaller saw to limb it. I will generally carry 2 saws when I go cut, but one is a backup. The only time I ever carry 3 with me is when I want to try one out or put some time on it.
Cutting your wood whether it's in the forest, in your back yard or for my example someone else's back yard: You come upon different situations of tree size or species.
If I have some smaller spruce to fell limb and buckup I'll grab the smaller saw with a shorter bar.  Bigger diameter hardwood a larger saw. Climbing is another story  :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Woodcutter_Mo

When I'm cutting firewood, alot of times I'll cut up the bulk of the larger part of the trees with the 455 and/or 372 and I may go back out later on and cut up the limb wood with the 024. And haul it out with the 4 wheeler. 

I do switch between the 455 and 372. The 372 just feels overkill for the smaller stuff so I switch to the 455. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Ianab

Quote from: starmac on March 25, 2018, 09:34:47 PM
We often deal with BIG (and usually ugly) cypress trees in old farm hedges. Things that are 4ft plus dia, and have massive branched crowns. You need a big saw to fell them of course, then limbing them is a whole other mission. The wood is great for sawlogs, and also makes good (saleable) firewood, so it's worth messing with the tops, rather than just pushing it into a burn pile. You might spend a day processing one tree, lopping the limbs into firewood lengths (some still need splitting even then). Doing this with a 50-60cc saw is a lot easier than waving a 90cc saw around all afternoon. 

I remember working with a buddy one time. I was sawing some of the better logs, and he was busting everything else down for firewood to sell. I think we had 50, 60, 80 and 120cc saws with us, and just used the most appropriate one at the time. The 3120 had a 5ft bar on it, so it wasn't really practical for limbing  :D

Smaller trees that might be 5 mins to limb? No I don't change saws. I'll either use the smaller saw, or limb with the bigger one as you aren't waving it around for hours on end. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!