iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cook's Dual Tooth Setter

Started by JohnSR, January 30, 2013, 09:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSR

I have the dual setter from Cook's which is less than a year old and just now getting the feel of how to correctly set the teeth. It is a good setter BUT had noticed recently the dial indicators were loose and wouldn't zero out. Checked  the set screws which holds the indicators to the base and they were all tight.

Took the indicators off the base and found the front one was missing two out of four tiny screws. The other two screws were about to fall out. The rear indicator had one screw missing with the other three very loose.

Lucked out and found one of the screws and put it in the indicator that was missing two. These screws are so small not sure where a person could get some..

Now they are all tight, the indicators are holding the setting. Will pay more attention to them from now on. Was thinking about using some lock tight but not sure it is a good idea. Afraid some may get into the instrument. 

customsawyer

I have put loctite on all the bolts on my setter. I don't know why but things seemed to work loose on there more than it should.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

John,why not clean and put a dab of silicone gasket maker on the screw head that should be enough to keep them from turning and easily removable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Quote from: JohnSR on January 30, 2013, 09:55:35 PM
I have the dual setter from Cook's which is less than a year old and just now getting the feel of how to correctly set the teeth. It is a good setter BUT had noticed recently the dial indicators were loose and wouldn't zero out. Checked  the set screws which holds the indicators to the base and they were all tight.

Took the indicators off the base and found the front one was missing two out of four tiny screws. The other two screws were about to fall out. The rear indicator had one screw missing with the other three very loose.

Lucked out and found one of the screws and put it in the indicator that was missing two. These screws are so small not sure where a person could get some..

Now they are all tight, the indicators are holding the setting. Will pay more attention to them from now on. Was thinking about using some lock tight but not sure it is a good idea. Afraid some may get into the instrument.

John; Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

If you were to contacts Cook's, I'm sure they would send you some free replacement screws.

They're good people to work with.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPD748

I was going to suggest a call to Cooks as well. They really are great people. In the event they don't have replacements, McMaster-Carr has screws down to 000-120. (here in the south, we call those tee-tiny :D)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

CooksSaw

John,

Email me james@cookssaw.com your shipping address and I'll send you out a new indicator. For future reference, it is fine to use loctite on those screws.

Take care,
James
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

SPD748

... and there you have it. Perfect customer service!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Furu

John SR
Do you have a Cook mill or just the setter?  If you have a Cook Mill which one?  I would love to talk to you/see you run it since you are not that far away.  Trying to determine which mill I will go with so seeing it in action would be nice.

JohnSR

Furu, All I have is the Cook's dual setter and their catclaw sharpener. Both works good once I figured out how to use them. I am running the WM lt28 mill with all the attachments plus some. Would love for you to come by and visit. Always like to show my toys off.
HEY Guys I wasn't trying to badmouth Cook's setter. It was just a heads up for anyone who may run into the same problem I did and yes James at Cook's has been contacted and am looking forward to receiving the screws

Thank You Sponsors!